Are all river cuisers so snobby?

Clay74

Almost 70 years comes closer to the truth (1945). English is fashionable, has more to do with music than occupation. French used to be "in" in the distant past. Russian never was.

English (American) music was listened to from the mid 1950s, people could sing along with the records but did not have to undertsand what was sung. It all changed in the early 1980s with the advent of computers and computer programming and from the 1990s with the coming of the Internet age.

We spend weeks In London every year and the coffee has become just as good as in the states for the most part. Every chain has a presence in London and even our hotel provides a Nespresso machine in our suite. It's the tea you get in most places that is not so great now. They also use tea bags and less that boiling water...

We can now even buy bean to cup machines for the home so can enjoy all sorts of coffee. Your right about tea teabags at home for a quick cuppa but leaf tea for something special. Scenic does a nice selection so a pot of tea whenever you want is treat. The swinging sixties may have gone but still remembered it's just the joints don't work so well anymore and now we see the same fashions recurring and I still like the music. I get over the camera battery problem to a certain extent with a battery pack for my SLR the questions now is which lenses do I take.

If our original poster is reading this thread, as you can see we have certainly gone off piste but if you have any particular queries please do come back and ask we are really quite a nice bunch and would like to help.

Happy cruising CA📷

Believe me, only a few river cruisers are on cruise critic or even heard of it. There are no fashion police when you finally cruise. It's just on here that a few people are judgmental. I wore blue jeans in Nov with white athletic shoes (gasp) or Keen hiking boots when touring. I had a camera everywhere I went. Not one person in any of the towns stopped to stare at my attire. All treated me with utmost respect as did I to them. It's crazy how the Internet makes mountains out of mole hills for no apparent reason.

Almost 70 years comes closer to the truth (1945). English is fashionable, has more to do with music than occupation. French used to be "in" in the distant past. Russian never was.

I'll stand by 45 years of Allied Occupation of Berlin . . . 1945 to 1990. end of WWII until reunification. As for the four occupying powers . . .

berlin-zones.gif?w=460&h=254

I understand what the OP is thinking and saying. I booked a river cruise and then started reading this cc board. I remember 1 very active poster who doesn't go on her cruise's bus tours because the other cruisers dress so poorly she doesn't want to be associated with them. I was booked on Viking and started wondering about my decision when all the Viking haters (who have never cruised with Viking) started coming out of the woodwork proclaiming how terrible Viking was compared to their preferred line. If anything good was posted about Viking, they had to immediately start protesting. Bottom line: I cruised last Aug-Sept on the Viking Sky and LOVED IT. None of those snobs showed up. I would cruise with Viking any time, but I would think twice about some of those other lines preferred by a few cc posters.

I would cruise with Viking any time, but I would think twice about some of those other lines preferred by a few cc posters.

That is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater ;)

We will not cruise Viking for many reasons but the passengers (which change every cruise) have nothing to do with it, except for the fact that there are just too many of them on their longships.

That is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater ;)

We will not cruise Viking for many reasons but the passengers (which change every cruise) have nothing to do with it, except for the fact that there are just too many of them on their longships.

I do not recall anyone giving any cruise line a "bad" review because of the way the passengers dressed! We all have our favorite cruise lines, just like we all have our favorite restaurants....and when you find one that really makes you happy, you tend to stick with it.

Jazzbeau: OP has not been back since his/her original post, is it time to put this one to bed?

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter where I go, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, advertisements, in store ads for sales and warning signs are in native language AND English.....many times also in French. I think it has more to do with tourism, music, movies and tv than occupation after WWII.
Valid point, except in this case I can't imagine a funeral home is trying to attract the tourist market.

I understand what the OP is thinking and saying. I booked a river cruise and then started reading this cc board. I remember 1 very active poster who doesn't go on her cruise's bus tours because the other cruisers dress so poorly she doesn't want to be associated with them. I was booked on Viking and started wondering about my decision when all the Viking haters (who have never cruised with Viking) started coming out of the woodwork proclaiming how terrible Viking was compared to their preferred line. If anything good was posted about Viking, they had to immediately start protesting. Bottom line: I cruised last Aug-Sept on the Viking Sky and LOVED IT. None of those snobs showed up. I would cruise with Viking any time, but I would think twice about some of those other lines preferred by a few cc posters.

Totally agree!

Valid point, except in this case I can't imagine a funeral home is trying to attract the tourist market.

I have to wonder if the sign is there to advertise funeral home or if the funeral home sponsored the ad as a public service to promote subway safety. Either way, I'd love to see one on a NYC subway, maybe people wouldn't stand so close to the platform!! :D

We have taken 6 trips with Vantage and the next one this June 2nd. Have met some great people on all of them. I think that it is what you make it. Eating meals with many different folks is a real treat. Once in awhile you might find one or two you will not share a table with later. Willard

We have taken 6 trips with Vantage and the next one this June 2nd. Have met some great people on all of them. I think that it is what you make it. Eating meals with many different folks is a real treat. Once in awhile you might find one or two you will not share a table with later. Willard

Amen, Willard. We're on our 7th this June and are traveling with a couple we met on Gateway to the Black Sea. We've also traveled with folks we met in Greece and Russia.

Going on my first River cruise to Amsterdam/Belgium at end of April. It's through Colette Tours on the Luftner Line (austrian I believe). I can not wait! My friend is stressing about the 2 formal nights, I told her if we aren't dressy enough, we can eat in our room LOL

Now as for the cameras...

I recently upgraded my DSLR for this trip (and the Med Cruise in Sept) so I will be carrying my gear with me AND will have the compact camera as well--this will be the one I hand to others to take a photo of us :)

So I will be a tourist with a capital T and I can't wait!!

Hi MLM54 - We have been taking our "Santa Hats" with us on every river cruise. The hats have been on the Great Wall, Africa, Transylvania, Athens. Usually standing in front of a highlight area. That's what we use for our Christmas card. Also I take a photo of every meal -breakfast, lunch and dinner (even the meal on the plane). Then I put together a "foodie" book. Great to look back on. On the ship the presentation is wonderful. But then I am a "retired" news photographer so why not keep shooting. Willard

Willard what a great idea about the hat! I have a bendable gumby in my bag if I need foreground interest lol. I always take food photos..I too believe they are all a part of the memories of a trip!

Willard what a great idea about the hat! I have a bendable gumby in my bag if I need foreground interest lol. I always take food photos..I too believe they are all a part of the memories of a trip!

MLM & Willard: When my kids were in elementary school there was a program that involved a teddy bear who was sent by the class to someone's relative with instructions to take a picture of the bear at a local landmark and then mail him to someone else. By the end of the year this bear had gone around the world! :D

Our son teaches at Moravian College in Bethlehem Pa and their team mascot is a Greyhound. He sent us a cut out of the mascot when we went to S. Africa back in 2013. Took photos of "Amos" with a elephant, walking with a lion, standing at Victoria Falls and even with our flight attendant. The college did a special page on Amos's travels to Africa. Willard