Disney Magic 2018 drydock details

ivanp91

Disney Cruise Line has revealed some of the planned upgrades/overhauls for the Magic's early 2018 drydock. The enhancements will debut on the March 9, 2018 cruise from Miami.

- Rapunzel's Royal Table, a new restaurant following a similar style to Tiana's Place on the Wonder.

- Re-theming of Cove Cafe and Signals Bar to a tropical theme.

- Updates to Vibe.

- Re-designed Rainforest Room.

- Addition of Club Disney Junior in the Oceaneer Club.

The post on the Disney Parks Blog doesn't explicitly mention where Rapunzel's Royal Table will be located, but it seems fairly obvious it will replace Carioca's.

(Speaking of which, it will have only been around for 4.5 years by the time it's removed - is that one of the shortest lifespans for a major cruise ship restaurant?)

Yes, if Carioca's is replaced, it will be the shortest time that a restaurant has lasted on a DCL ship.

I wonder if they will be adding the hot tubs and other features from the newer ships to the rainforest area. I've long felt that the cost of the rainforest on the classic ships is quite high when compared with what the same price gets on the newer ships.

Interestingly, DCL will close Carioca's for several cruise prior to the dry dock as apparently the renovation into Rapunzel's Royal Table will take longer than the scheduled dry dock.

This is a welcome change. IMO Carioca's was a dud from the beginning. We have ready many good things about Tiana's Place and look forward to sailing on the Wonder for that experience in a few months. I appreciate DCL recognizing that they could improve the experience and making this change on Magic.

I totally agree--Carioca's is a total dud. Parrot Cay was never my favorite, but Carioca's was not an improvement! And yes, they get credit for knowing they can do better and making the decision to make it happen.

The coffee/smoothie bar in the Vibe....I have mixed feelings, but mine have aged out of the programming. There was a smoothie bar in The Stack. Unfortunately there is the whole "peer pressure" thing in a group of teens. Mine was on a budget for the cruise and could choose when and if she would pay for a beverage (vs. shopping or whatever). But it is still tough to decide to go the the beverage station for a coke when your buddies are ordering smoothies. I've always liked the fact that nothing in the programming cost extra for kids at any age level. I don't like seeing DCL go back to the concept that teens have money and we will provide another way to separate them from it.

This is a welcome change. IMO Carioca's was a dud from the beginning. We have ready many good things about Tiana's Place and look forward to sailing on the Wonder for that experience in a few months. I appreciate DCL recognizing that they could improve the experience and making this change on Magic.

Yep, my second time on the Magic just reinforced my opinion that Carioca's was the worst restaurant on a DCL ship. It was kind of funny being in Tiana's a couple months ago and recognising certain parts of the decor that it shares with Carioca's (clearly leftover from Parrot Cay), just painted a different color. Amazing that there was only three years between the debut of either restaurant, but the concept and execution of Tiana's is simply leaps and bounds ahead of the other.

i wonder if they'll keep the snuggly duckling bar event now that they'll have a snuggly duckling dining experience

I think they will. The only crossover from the sounds of it is that the dining entertainment will feature some of the Snuggly Duckling thugs. Snuggly Duckling Takeover is unique enough to stick around IMO.

Interestingly, DCL will close Carioca's for several cruise prior to the dry dock as apparently the renovation into Rapunzel's Royal Table will take longer than the scheduled dry dock.

So the rotation will just be between Lumiere's and Animator's Palette? Interesting.

I only sailed once (or was it twice? Had the Magic gone through its dry dock when I sailed the Southern Caribbean in 2014? My memory is failing me) on the Magic since they reimagined Parrot Cay to Carioca's. It never really stood out as memorable, so I guess the change, while very soon after the last change, will be a welcome one.

So the rotation will just be between Lumiere's and Animator's Palette? Interesting.

I'm not sure we can predict what they will do, particularly since it will only involve a few cruises. Cabanas is already a sit down restaurant at night--they might use that as a "rotation" restaurant for those few cruises. I suspect it will depend on the number of guests on board--again, we've seen them close a section of cabins to start refurbishing in advance, which reduces the number of guests.

I'm certain that they have a plan for the restaurant rotation, but I'm not certain that it will involve only 2 restaurants.

I'm not sure we can predict what they will do' date=' particularly since it will only involve a few cruises. Cabanas is already a sit down restaurant at night--they might use that as a "rotation" restaurant for those few cruises. I suspect it will depend on the number of guests on board--again, we've seen them close a section of cabins to start refurbishing in advance, which reduces the number of guests.

I'm certain that they have a plan for the restaurant rotation, but I'm not certain that it will involve only 2 restaurants.[/quote']

Not predicting. Just guessing. Might they use Cabanas? Maybe. But then when, they leave out those guests who preferred Cabanas ultra casual style to the other ADRs.

I am delighted to be on the March 9, 2018 Magic for the new upgrades/changes. It is just by chance as I knew nothing about this when I made our reservations last january. We took our 2 grandsons, then 9 + 11 y/o on Magic and the year prior onFfantasy. This past Jan. we brought our 2 grandsons, then 21 and 19 and the newest granddaughter, 5/y, who will be 6 for this Magic. Also brought the mom and dad for their first cruise ever. Blessed to be able now to add one other son, so eight of us on the "new" Magic. Hooray!

Edited by lyndenfa
wrong ship name

There has been no announcement of any changes to the dining rooms on the Dream or Fantasy. I think they'll take the approach of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Parrot Cay was not the most popular dining room from the beginning, and after 10+ years people were really tired of it. The change to "Carioca's" was not popular...it was basically a "dud" as noted above--thus the changes involving that space.

this will be a marked difference between the classic and the newer ships.

having a second dining room with a kind of entertainment

the classic ships will have two - animators palate and the new one (tiana's on the wonder and rapunzel's on the magic), while the fantasy and dream only have one...

perhaps that's a good thing, at least from DCL's point of view....an incentive to get you on an 'old' ship...

They seem to vacillate between their idea of making all the ships very similar (this was the excuse when they ruined the lobby of the Magic) and making each one unique (as in the kid programming areas and the restaurants). The inconsistency in the planning is remarkable.

true..

let's hope - as you pointed out in another thread - that they go for inconsistency when they design the newest ones...

at least in the adult pool area :)