Can we drink the alcohol and water in Mexico?

kry4disney

I will be on the Oasis January 7th and stopping in Cozomel Mexico. I am thinking about doing an all inclusive beach day but not sure if I should be concerned that some of the mixed frozen drinks might have water in them and then awhile back in the news it was reported that resorts in Mexico are buying bootleg alcohol and people are getting sick and even dying...... Should we do an all inclusive or stay away from any activity that is at a resort?

I've been to Cozumel many times and personally wouldn't worry about the drinks there, but I usually only have a couple of margaritas and my husband doesn't drink alcohol so he could look after me if I was ever slipped something.

If you are going to worry about it, then don't go, or go and enjoy the day and don't drink.

I have no concerns about drinking alcohol or water at any popular beach bar or hotel in Cozumel. Been there dozens of times over the years and never a problem. In less "touristy" areas of Mexico I would only drink beer and bottled water.

I have traveled all over Mexico and never had a problem. I am careful to only drink bottled water. As far as cocktails go, just be careful. I have seen those reports as well and I think they are a bit exaggerated. If that was the norm we would hear about it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year in Coz, we made the unthinking mistake of ordering water with our meal at a restaurant near the port. The day after, my wife got sick and it continued several days after we got home. She finally went to the Dr, and was diagnosed with traveler’s diarrhea.

We learned our lesson.

Most of the tourist resorts claim they only serve drinks with purified water so no risk to getting sick. We’ve been to Mr Sanchos and Chakanaab with no consequence.

(PS, how long do you think it will take before someone jumps in and says “How do you know that’s what made her sick?”

I’ve been to Paradise Beach 5 times over the last 10 years and was there earlier this month, never having any issues. We had a number of frozen and mixed drinks, bottled beer, vegetables that were washed in their water... This is 15-20 min cab ride from the pier, is a great value, and there are many cruise passengers there from many ships. The reviews are consistently extremely favorable. I use TripAdvisor to get a sense of any recent or recurring issues when comparing resorts.

Paradise Beach was ranked #10 of ~150 things to do in Cozumel on Trip Advisor.

At resorts, it's fine...they won't take the chance that their visitors will get ill. BAD publicity! Outside of resort settings, avoid water, ice, raw veggies, etc...

You may want to hunt down the various recent news items about some well known Mexican resorts that dilute their booze bottles.

For example:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2017/07/28/expert-tips-avoiding-tainted-alcohol-mexico/518368001/

Also, folks need to look carefully at any resort's history of issues related to their water purification systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many people will tell you that you will be fine and they do base that on experience.

Me I just don't like to take the chance. This comes from doing a lot of international travel for business and seeing some people get sick even at higher end places.

So for me I do avoid certain items on land

I will have beer from the bottle and in terms of water only from bottles and fizzy water.

I avoid salads and fruit I want pealed fruit.

I will eat items that are cooked.

Is this being over cautious maybe but I never got sick from food while traveling pretty much the world on business and since that time for pleasure.

Have a great time.

Keith

So it's no big deal if someone "slips you something"????

I don't believe that's what I said. I only said that if something would happen, my husband would be there to look out for me, which isn't the case if both people drink.

And I stand by my opinion, if it is a concern, then don't drink.

My opinion. Avoid drinking water and mixed drinks in Cozumel. Enjoy your liquor on board where you know it is clean. Make sure you have your Hepatitis shots too. And if you want to be really safe, take the Dukoral Vaccine. (Maybe that is going overboard - but we are big foreign travelers (Asia, South America and we like to be prepared) and we even avoid buying bottled water from vendors, because you do not know how long it has been sitting outside in the hot sun or in a hot truck). Again, drink to your merry on board and buy bottled water on board to bring ashore. Better be safe than sorry. We have seen so many people get sick in Cozumel.

That is where I was thinking of going, looks like a nice place.

We will be on that sailing and are doing Nachi Cocum . We have been to Cozumel over 10 times, never had a problem.

mac_tlc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ll never have a mixed drink in Mexico again. Stayed at an all inclusive in Cancun. Everyday they advertised the “drink of the day.” The one and only day I was the only person to try it from our group. Lets just say it wasn’t pretty for about 24 hours. I’m sure most of the time at the resorts the drinks are fine, but I’m not taking that chance again.

I've been to Cozumel many times and personally wouldn't worry about the drinks there, but I usually only have a couple of margaritas and my husband doesn't drink alcohol so he could look after me if I was ever slipped something.

If you are going to worry about it, then don't go, or go and enjoy the day and don't drink.

I don't believe that's what I said. I only said that if something would happen, my husband would be there to look out for me, which isn't the case if both people drink.

And I stand by my opinion, if it is a concern, then don't drink.

Looks to me like that is exactly what you said. Maybe it isn't what you meant.

Looks to me like that is exactly what you said. Maybe it isn't what you meant.

Oh, please..............

I said if something happened to me I would be OK, not that it was OK. Good heavens ... let it go.

• 3 months later...

Look up Tainted Alcohol on Google. I am HORRIFIED that I did not realize this is happening at Mexican Resorts. We were in the Mexican Riviera in February and will be going again next week. Only Bottled Beer for us!