Why Should Our Family Try Royal Caribbean? (Comparing Spring Break Cruises)

As a family, we have sailed on Carnival and on Norwegian. Those sailings were selected by available dates, and driving distance to the departure ports. As I am researching Spring Break 2018 cruise options, I am liking a Majesty of the Seas option that will allow us to be in Nassau from 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. (other cruise lines appear to depart at 5 p.m.), which would give us the chance to spend all day at Atlantis. But, the only members of our extended families who have sailed RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas were NOT impressed. As a matter of fact, it was two different sailings, but no one will return to RCCL, because of it.

Convince me of your love for RCCL. Please and thank you.

Though personally like RCCL , I don't believe in trying to convenience people that it's the right fit for them. After reviewing the dates, itinerary as well as the features of the ship if you have to be convinced by strangers than it's mostly not the cruise for you.

HI,

In order for anyone to give your "proper" advice as opposed to just totally biased cheer leading (which you will find plenty of here). I think there are a few questions and specifics you need to provide

1. What do you like about cruising, is it merely to relax and be on the water, or do you like to have lots of options to do? Each answer could present you with a totally different ship

2. You seem to really want to go to atlantis? Why not simply fly there, it sounds like you are within driving distance to the port which would also mean that flights to the Bahamas should be very reasonable??

Let me share a couple things.

1. I have sailed the enchantment probably 5 times. It's a much older ship. The exterior is in bad shape (needs paint badly), but the interior is very clean and the crew is great. I would not hesitate to sail it again for a 3 day gambling get away. With that being said... It is very limiting on what you can do on that ship. (not very many speciatly resteraunts, activities, etc). many many people love the smaller ships. (it's a preference thing and also it's about what a cruise means to you and what you like to do)

2. The Majesty, while people rave about the service its even smaller then the enchantment with even less to do... so I would find it hard to imagine your group that clearly does not like RCCL would be happy with it.

My suggestion would be that if you were considering RCCl do some research and consider either Freedom class or Oasis class. They are a much different layout than the smaller ships with much more to do and see (especially the Oasis class)

However.... Why would you let anyone convince you? IF you know what product you like, why not stay with it?

I am very much a fan of Royal, I know what there strong suits are and I also know what there downfall is. I am very happy with their product and the quality of service I receive. But it's not my vacation it's yours.... But I would strongly suggest you research the ships or classes of ships that I suggested as it (may) offer more enticing options for your group.

HI,

In order for anyone to give your "proper" advice as opposed to just totally biased cheer leading (which you will find plenty of here). I think there are a few questions and specifics you need to provide

1. What do you like about cruising, is it merely to relax and be on the water, or do you like to have lots of options to do? Each answer could present you with a totally different ship

2. You seem to really want to go to atlantis? Why not simply fly there, it sounds like you are within driving distance to the port which would also mean that flights to the Bahamas should be very reasonable?

Good questions -

1) We like to have lots of activities to choose from on the ship. And, we like the pampering you get from having your cabin cleaned, your meals served to you, your drinks delivered to your chaise lounge, etc. There would be some teenagers in the mix, so it sounds like I need to dig a bit deeper into the wallet for them to not get too bored.

2) DH & I were at Atlantis with his work. Such an amazing property, but really, really pricey. We wouldn't mind paying for one day passes, if it is a port, but would not want to pay Atlantis prices for several days. If we are spending that kind of cash, everyone might as well head to Orlando.

Thanks to all who quickly replied. I think the smaller, older ship comments are, definitely, swaying me in a different direction. I will do some investigating of the RCCL newer ships.

Good advice from the above cruises. My experience... 18 years ago my fiancé booked our honeymoon with a travel agent. We both had never cruised before. We did a 2 week cruise with Holland America, it was the last cruise that ship ever take before it retired. It was old and I was so under impressed with the ship, however the food and cruise was great and all the islands we went to were great, so we had a great honeymoon but felt cheated on the ship part. Then we cruised again about 4 years later on RCI for a short 4 night cruise on an older ship, honestly I can't even remember what ship, under impressed again, just an ok cruise. This past spring break we took our 3 kids ages 11-15 on Allure of the Seas with RCI - that was the wow had been waiting for all those years. Stunning ship, lots to do, great food (we didn't even eat at one pay for place, trying to keep our costs down), great entertainment. It spoiled my kids, I looked at booking another cruise next year on an older ship but I think everyone would be disappointed. I think the others are right, what is your priority - one long day at one port or having a great ship for the entire week. What ages are your kids?

RCI pays people a lot of money to convince folks to try RCI. My check from the company hasn't arrived yet. And Majesty is one of the RCI ships that I would probably never consider unless it was going someplace that I really wanted to go to and had no other way to get there... including swimming.

For a family that likes to do things, the Oasis class ships are head and shoulders above any others--and Quantum class fits that bill also. Check some of the big on-line travel agents; you might find some good deals for spring break--most will include pre-paid grat. or on-board credit or a spa treatment or dinner in a specialty restaurant. Because they are now the older ships in the class (but both have been refurbished) Allure and Oasis will be less expensive than Harmony. (If you do decide on the Oasis--or Quantum class--be sure to reserve your spots for the shows you want and dinner times on the on-line cruise planner as soon as it's possible to do so.)

With kids, especially teen, we only consider freedom class or oasis class because so many activities. Voyager class is probably fine too but haven’t done it in years.

We find it more similar to Norwegian than not, but much better pools. Never done carnival.

Without kids we like the smaller ships as all we really want to do is relax.

I LOVE the Majesty. However, I do not think it is the choice for you. You listed lots of activities first, and that is definitely limited, and one of the reasons I love the ship. The cabin, dining, and beverage service that you mention is all there. This ship calls for relaxation, good shows with a great orchestra, good dining with great service, and a whole lot of time to watch the ocean go by.

Not going to try to convince you either way but you have heard some good sound advice here. My first cruise ever was on an Oasis class ship, so impressed that we booked a second cruise with the kids the same year on Enchantment, while it was nice it definitely did not have the "WOW" factor for us that the Oasis class did. It was a great time and I would do it again but if you are wanting something to blow you away then pick the top three classes of ship that RCCL has, Oasis, Quantum, or Freedom class. They will blow your socks off and will become the destination vs just being your transportation to the port. If this will be your first time sailing RCCL then you may want to stay away from such an old ship because you more than likely will not be happy with your choice. It is small, older, and doesn't have as many things that you and your family may be looking for. We have been on an older smaller ship (Vision of the Seas) for a week long cruise and we quickly discovered that we prefer the larger ships vs smaller ones. Not knocking any of them it is just our preference, do yourself a favor and don't pick just because of Atlantis because you are taking a MUCH greater chance of being a little underwhelmed on Majesty vs something like Freedom of the Seas or Harmony of the Seas.