Vaccinations

Kerri-Maree

On almost every cruise no vaccinations are required.

The only exception is the Yellow Fever Vaccination required on some selected cruises.

What is your itinerary?

When you travel it is just a reminder to check with your physician to be sure vaccinations are up to date. This includes Hepatitis, Tetanus, Flu, Pneumonia (this is age based) just to name a few. Of course if you were not traveling you would want to do the same to be sure you are up to date.

Keith

If a vaccination is required, they usually won't let you on the ship. Just like visas and other possible requirements, the ship isn't going to lock you on the ship in certain ports, they just won't take you.

Of course, knowing what ports you are referring to for requirements like this would be helpful.

Yellow fever is required by some countries for ALL persons entering.

I suggest Hep A and B, current tetanus (I get every 5 years), adult booster for polio, pneumonia (age based), and current flu. These I consider "normal".

Others depending on where you are going.

hello ,

What vaccinations are you all having and is it true they will not let you off the ship without certain vaccinations? I have really struggled with which ones to get. Tia.

What itinerary? If Caribbean, no vaccinations have ever been required in an Caribbean port of call we have visited. My understanding is the suggested ones are for visits in country - not the ports or local excursions. We have never had any restrictions at original embarkation or with disembarking in any port of call.

Yellow fever is required by some countries for ALL persons entering.

I suggest Hep A and B, current tetanus (I get every 5 years), adult booster for polio, pneumonia (age based), and current flu. These I consider "normal".

Others depending on where you are going.

Add shingles . . .

Hi thank you all for reply, I am going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore on the 9 th of January with sapphire princess.

I have asked a general practitioner she had no idea, but I obviously don’t won’t to fly to Singapore from autsrralia and not be allowed to board. Yikes.:eek:....

Hi thank you all for reply, I am going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore on the 9 th of January with sapphire princess.

I have asked a general practitioner she had no idea, but I obviously don’t won’t to fly to Singapore from autsrralia and not be allowed to board. Yikes.:eek:....

I would suggest contacting Princess for their insight regarding this itinerary. You can also try the Asia boards for information at this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

I would suggest contacting Princess for their insight regarding this itinerary. You can also try the Asia boards for information at this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Honestly Princess is not going to say anything because Yellow Fever is not required for the itinerary and they will not say anything about the other ones.

Keith

I can tell you from experience that nothing is required. Not Yellow Fever on this itinerary. :)

Two things:

Do make sure your vaccinations are up to date. There your regular doctor can determine that or you can if you keep records.

What you should plan to get (not required) for this itinerary depends on what you will be doing in port. It is simply not about the stop but what you are doing. (eg., city versus going into the Jungle). So do make a list of what you plan to do.

We use a travel professional and in our case it is Passport Health. Here is their web site so you can see if one is near you.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/tx/austin/160/

We fill out the paperwork for the appointment and then we meet with them. They can go through their recommendations.

In our case on a similar itinerary and knowing we had to eat off the ship for a few of the excursions we made sure we had the Hepatitis Vaccinations and we also went with the Typhoid Vaccination. You can see what they or some other travel professional medical place recommends.

As I mentioned earlier we made sure with our regular doctor that our Tetanus Vaccine was up to date. We also got the Flu Vaccination which now we get as a regular course anyway.

Finally the CDC web site is terrific because we could read about some of the vaccinations ahead of time.

https://www.cdc.gov

Keith

I can tell you from experience that nothing is required. Not Yellow Fever on this itinerary. :)

Two things:

Do make sure your vaccinations are up to date. There your regular doctor can determine that or you can if you keep records.

What you should plan to get (not required) for this itinerary depends on what you will be doing in port. It is simply not about the stop but what you are doing. (eg., city versus going into the Jungle). So do make a list of what you plan to do.

We use a travel professional and in our case it is Passport Health. Here is their web site so you can see if one is near you.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/tx/austin/160/

We fill out the paperwork for the appointment and then we meet with them. They can go through their recommendations.

In our case on a similar itinerary and knowing we had to eat off the ship for a few of the excursions we made sure we had the Hepatitis Vaccinations and we also went with the Typhoid Vaccination. You can see what they or some other travel professional medical place recommends.

As I mentioned earlier we made sure with our regular doctor that our Tetanus Vaccine was up to date. We also got the Flu Vaccination which now we get as a regular course anyway.

Finally the CDC web site is terrific because we could read about some of the vaccinations ahead of time.

https://www.cdc.gov

Keith

oh wonderful thank all so very much , I do work in the in the medicafield so my vaccinations are up to date, I just found just found it difficult as princess gave me no information nor Nor did the gp, and once again completely worried I will not be allowed on the sapphire princess on the 9 th Jan if I don’t have the yellow fever injection.

I did look up the country sight of vaccination information but it was based from 2013.

You should be able to have your gp refer you to a travel medicine professional. If not, ask around for a travel/tropical medicine clinic/practitioner.

Only a medical professional familiar with your personal health situation can really provide good advice on what is appropriate. For some, even low risk of infection may indicate a need for vaccination/medication.

If the cruise line does not indicate the need for a particular vaccination, it is unlikely to deny boarding should one not have that vaccination.

Again no worries. There are no required vaccinations.

I would still followup with a company specializing in travel medicine.

With that said you can do a lot of the homework yourself by reading the CDC information so that when you meet with them you are prepared.

The itinerary is great.

Keith

You should be able to have your gp refer you to a travel medicine professional. If not, ask around for a travel/tropical medicine clinic/practitioner.

Only a medical professional familiar with your personal health situation can really provide good advice on what is appropriate. For some, even low risk of infection may indicate a need for vaccination/medication.

If the cruise line does not indicate the need for a particular vaccination, it is unlikely to deny boarding should one not have that vaccination.

That does sound true, their not saying exactly you need a yellow fever injection to board this ship/ cruise.

In you previous experience have you been on cruises where they have stipulated a vaccination must?

That does sound true, their not saying exactly you need a yellow fever injection to board this ship/ cruise.

In you previous experience have you been on cruises where they have stipulated a vaccination must?

Yes, Yellow Fever but not on this itinerary.

That is the only one that is required on certain itineraries.

Actually the rules of that have changed though. When it was required used to be good for only 10 years and a new vaccination would be needed if Yellow Fever Vaccination was required. Now one time is good for life.

Again you have no worries on this one.

You are in control as to whether or not you want to get any vaccinations.

Keith

What itinerary? If Caribbean, no vaccinations have ever been required in an Caribbean port of call we have visited. My understanding is the suggested ones are for visits in country - not the ports or local excursions. We have never had any restrictions at original embarkation or with disembarking in any port of call.

Vietnam , Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore on the 9th January 2018.

If a vaccination is required, they usually won't let you on the ship. Just like visas and other possible requirements, the ship isn't going to lock you on the ship in certain ports, they just won't take you.

Of course, knowing what ports you are referring to for requirements like this would be helpful.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia,, Sapphire princess 9th January 2018.

On almost every cruise no vaccinations are required.

The only exception is the Yellow Fever Vaccination required on some selected cruises.

What is your itinerary?

When you travel it is just a reminder to check with your physician to be sure vaccinations are up to date. This includes Hepatitis, Tetanus, Flu, Pneumonia (this is age based) just to name a few. Of course if you were not traveling you would want to do the same to be sure you are up to date.

Keith

are you going on this cruise Keith?

Which countries do you need yellow fever?

The gp did mention yellow fever, but now I wonder why.

The information you gave me how do you know, thank you so very much.

These countries do not require a yellow fever vaccination unless you were coming from a country that has a high risk of yellow fever.

http://www.who.int/ith/ITH_country_list.pdf

Countries with a high risk of Yellow Fever are shown below.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever

I am not on this cruise. I have sailed this itinerary four times mainly as part of World Cruises. Those joining this segment of the WC were not required to have the Yellow Fever Vaccination.

I thought you said the GP knew very little.

If I had any doubts on if this was required I would simply say I don't no.

Keith

If memory serves, no.

Will also be on Sapphire for said itineraries in Jan. Have not come across any vaccination requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums