Disembarkation in Rome, time frame

NSAHO79

Hi there,

My DH and I are going on the Celebrity Reflection in September and I wanted to know how long it might take to disembark once we dock in Rome as I want to plan a taxi to the airport and don't know the time frame except that the drive is 1 1/2 hours from the port. If we get off the ship at 8:30 how long does it take to get your luggage and go through security and customs? Any help would be great. Thanks, Chris

You dock in Civitavecchia, one hour from the airport.

If you get off the ship at 8:30 , you just pick up luggage and walk outside into a parking area. We used a private van with two other couples form our roll call who had the same flight to the US.

I would book a pickup ahead of time.

Hi there,

My DH and I are going on the Celebrity Reflection in September and I wanted to know how long it might take to disembark once we dock in Rome as I want to plan a taxi to the airport and don't know the time frame except that the drive is 1 1/2 hours from the port. If we get off the ship at 8:30 how long does it take to get your luggage and go through security and customs? Any help would be great. Thanks, Chris

Hello fellow Canuck! Spent alot of Time in Halifax during my CDn Navy and Air force Days.

Our recent cruise on the Silhouette (May 22-June 3rd) Started in Venice and ended in Rome.. Came alongside Rome approx 0500..and self-embarkation started at 0630

We were in group 65..were to meet in the Theatre At 0815, but instead we just hung out by Guest services. At approx 0830 group 65 was called!

No customs/immigration..Just walked off the ship....Into a big building, saw the Group 65 sign......and there was our luggage!! Simple walked out and that was it!! Super simple!!! Does not get any easier.

We reserved a van with http://www.fattoricarservice.com/ (145 Euro) for 0900. By 0845 we were on the road. Shared the cost with another couple from our roll call. I believe 1 can find a better rate. But Fattori was great, very professional and we were very happy with them!

We originally wanted a 0830 pick up, but they suggested a 0900 pick up due to Monday work traffic! And once closer to Rome, there was a bit of traffic, but not much!!

I'm sure we could have walked off the ship anytime we wished..just a matter of ones luggage being in that building (if one set it out the night before) But being polite, did not do that..as if everyone did that, would be a huge gaggle!

Super easy disembarkation!!! Except for the group that STOPPED just after the gangway from the ship,lol What makes one just STOP and gaggle?? Just move 3 more feet to the side,lol Enjoy

We have gotten on and off in Rome on a few cruises... always very easy.

We book a private car with Romecabs.com (130 euro's plus a tip, usually 140 total, very professional - we always use them).

We requested pick up at 9am, may asked for 8:30am next time... we were off the ship the last trip by 8am and waited a while.

Taxi drivers wait for folks, so need to be concerned they will wait for you.

Trips to the airport generally only 45 minutes, but allow extra just in case there is traffic or an accident that creates delays better safe then sorry.

Flights back to the USA... do involved a lot of security, 3 different screenings... plan at least 2 hours or more... to get throught the airport process.

Flights to other European countries do not have as much security.

We have gotten on and off in Rome on a few cruises... always very easy.

We book a private car with Romecabs.com (130 euro's plus a tip, usually 140 total, very professional - we always use them).

We requested pick up at 9am, may asked for 8:30am next time... we were off the ship the last trip by 8am and waited a while.

Taxi drivers wait for folks, so need to be concerned they will wait for you.

Trips to the airport generally only 45 minutes, but allow extra just in case there is traffic or an accident that creates delays better safe then sorry.

Flights back to the USA... do involved a lot of security, 3 different screenings... plan at least 2 hours or more... to get throught the airport process.

Flights to other European countries do not have as much security.

Agreed!!! I don't like the logistics in Fiumicino. Beside security if you want to get the VAT back, add two or three more lines to do, and remember to have the valuables you purchased with you. :):)

During the cruise you are given a form to complete to say what time you need to disembark - this tells the ship who they need to put into which group to get off the ship. Make sure you write down the time of your pick up to be in the right group as they put the luggage out ready by group numbers.

As others have said, no security in that dock, you literally walk off, into the shed, grab your bag and leave - 5 minutes maximum.

As others have advised- pre book your ride. I use RomeCabs 130 euro to airport or Rome centre.

I did see taxis outside the port gates trying to sell day tours. You take a free port shuttle from shi to entrance. Only the re arranged vehicles can come right up to the terminal to meet you.

Rome airport was busy the last time I was there and there was a lot of walking to get to VAT counter, which is after security and the to gates.

What is the earliest we can disembark if the ship docks at 5:00 AM. We do not want to take our luggage ourselves so we would need to pick it up when off the ship. Would we be able to do that by 7:00?

There is no customs check for arriving pax, no passport cks as you are already in the EU. So you just carry off your bags or pick them up in the terminal. Next, catch the shuttle bus (free) to the port gate. Takes some time to fill up each bus and load/off load the baggage. The bus ride itself is only 10 minutes. So getting off the ship and getting out of the port may take an hour. Taxis/limos are available at the bus stop which is quite congested. The cost of the transport purchased there is much less than what Celebrity charges for the transfer. Check in at the airport is OK but you have to go thru security and the trek to the gate is quite long including a train trip ala Denver or Atlanta.

Our flight doesn't leave til later that evening. Has anyone ever stored their luggage in lockers somewhere in Rome for the day?

You can take the train from the port, Civitavecchia, to Termini, for 4.5 euros. There is a left luggage office there where you can leave it for the day. Then you can take the Leonardo Express train, or the Terravison bus, to the airport. Many reporting good success with the bus, said to be easier than the train.

Come over to the Italy boards for more info.

• 1 month later...
As mentioned above...started at 0630 for self embarkation on our cruise (June 3)

If we DO NOT want to carry off our own luggage, what is the earliest group time to get off the ship? If it starts at 7 AM, and we can get to the airport in one hour, should we expect to be able to get to the airport by 9:15 AM (two hours before departure of our plane)? We would take a private car since there are three of us.

Edited by Dmgmd50

If we DO NOT want to carry off our own luggage, what is the earliest group time to get off the ship? If it starts at 7 AM, and we can get to the airport in one hour, should we expect to be able to get to the airport by 9:15 AM (two hours before departure of our plane)? We would take a private car since there are three of us.

Do you have a 2 or 3 hour check in for international?

Ship to airport has always taken us between 1 hr and 1 hr 15 and when we have taken the ship transfer and let them take the luggage off we have been at the airport by 9am (even when we had a 5pm flight - thanks Celebrity).

Not sure what time they start as I only remember the times of our pick ups - last one was at 7.45

Yes, you should be able to get to the airport by 9:15am assuming no hiccups (likely a bit earlier). Just be aware that FCO can become quite busy and lines tend to move slow. You will have to traverse three separate lines; passport control, luggage check, security. The later you leave the port, the more likely you are to incur traffic on route to FCO and longer lines once you arrive. As such if it were me I would want to self-disembark and buy myself a little extra wiggle room if I had an 11:15am flight. While you stand a very good chance of making your flight even if you opt not to self-disembark, you do not have a lot of wiggle room if a snafu arises (i.e. some of your luggage is delayed in arriving to the staging area or an accident on route to the airport creates bad traffic). Missing an international flight can be extremely expensive and stressful, so best to do everything in your power to maximize your chances of making the flight. Definitely opt for a private driver (faster than cruise ship transportation).

• 6 months later...

Just read most of your messages and am slightly encouraged. We're on Silhouette, disembarking on July 15 in Rome with a 9:30 flight back to the states. From what I am reading, seems we'll be okay with a request to leave the ship by 6:30 a.m. We'll use a private transfer. One of those companies was doubtful the ship would let us off that early so please if anyone has any info, please respond. Thanks.:eek:

Just read most of your messages and am slightly encouraged. We're on Silhouette, disembarking on July 15 in Rome with a 9:30 flight back to the states. From what I am reading, seems we'll be okay with a request to leave the ship by 6:30 a.m. We'll use a private transfer. One of those companies was doubtful the ship would let us off that early so please if anyone has any info, please respond. Thanks.:eek:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! That is an awfully early time, and I have strong doubts that you will make that flight. Are you flying straight back to the states or to another European destination first? The rule around here is to allow 3 hours at the airport if flying to the States.

I think in any event you would be cutting it close, and there is no guarantee that your ship would have cleared customs and be ready to let you disembark by 6:30. If there is a possibility of a later flights, or staying one night in Rome and leaving the next day at 9:30, I would make those arrangements asap. Don't want to be an alarmist, but it is very unusual for someone to book a flight before 11:30 or noon at the earliest.