Anthem and Noro - sailing today?

We were docked next to the Anthem while on the Majesty last week. We were advised not to mingle with the passengers or crew of the Anthem due to the outbreak.

Well I ate lunch at Grills so I hope you were not there .. I was lucky though - nobody in my party was sick

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had to deal with that on Quantum in 2015. Boarded really late, around 1pm, think they started around noon. Everything was sanitized top to bottom. We couldn't get into our rooms until after dinner, around 8pm, some folks as late at 11pm. Stateroom attendants earned their wages ten-fold, they worked so hard. The entire trip the ship was constantly being cleaned and re-cleaned. Pools not open until day 2. Lots of very upset passengers after a very crazy day 1.

We had to deal with that on Quantum in 2015. Boarded really late, around 1pm, think they started around noon. Everything was sanitized top to bottom. We couldn't get into our rooms until after dinner, around 8pm, some folks as late at 11pm. Stateroom attendants earned their wages ten-fold, they worked so hard. The entire trip the ship was constantly being cleaned and re-cleaned. Pools not open until day 2. Lots of very upset passengers after a very crazy day 1.

I can understand people getting frustrated about getting to cabins so late. But I would be thankful they were doing such a thorough job at cleaning.

I can understand people getting frustrated about getting to cabins so late. But I would be thankful they were doing such a thorough job at cleaning.

Exactly. Take as long as you need so I don't get sick. Unfortunately our attendant didn't do a great job in our room. A couple days in I was looking for something my son dropped and there was what looked like dried throw up in the wall. Ewwwwww...

This past week on Anthem was the first time I've experienced virus crackdown mode on a cruise. Yeah, it slowed things down at times and I had to be very clear how I wanted my coffee, but it wasn't all that bad. We still had a good time.

About midway through the cruise, I noticed an increase in sanitation, but it wasn't until the last day and a half that they really stepped up on the touching restrictions. That said, I told me kids to avoid hand rails and to keep hands away from faces without washy washy first once I saw the sanitation stepped up, because it was obvious to me what was going on.

I did ask several crew about the number of sick passengers, but the only answer I got was that they had exceeded the threshhold required to take the extra precautions. You know it's bad when they are sanitizing support columns in public areas.

Even last night in the Concierge Lounge, we could not use the coffee machine ourselves, and they had crew plating the snacks for us.

You can blame my sailing of 10/28 for Noro!:( Not sure if it was also on the previous sailing since only a small number of passengers on the 10/28 sailing had been on the previous sailing. It was present on our 10/28 sailing and the Capt. even announced that a lot of passengers were seeing the doctor. Unfortunately for me, I had a mild case of it and went to the doctor near the end of my sailing. This visit resulted in my being put in isolation in my cabin while my cousin who was sharing the same cabin was not????

MARAPRINCE

I just got off the Anthem of the Seas and I find it upsetting to see that the outbreak started on the 10/28 sailing, continued to progress through our 11/4 sailing, and even another ship be "warned" of mingling with us all while they tried to keep communication minimized on our sailing. As the week progressed everywhere I looked things got taken away. Also to pay for the drinking package to be told I cant have my choice cocktail the last 3 days because they "ran out" of limes, when in reality I found out they stopped serving drinks with fruit because of the norovirus makes me question the ship's integrity. I know we recieved a letter and the captain mentioned it but for someone who has never experienced this before it was hard to understand the extent and seriousness of the situation.

I was lucky that my party has not been effected by the norovirus yet (mainifestation can be 1-3 days) but for those who did fall ill I would be even more upset reading some of this after the fact.

I just got off the Anthem of the Seas and I find it upsetting to see that the outbreak started on the 10/28 sailing, continued to progress through our 11/4 sailing, and even another ship be "warned" of mingling with us all while they tried to keep communication minimized on our sailing. As the week progressed everywhere I looked things got taken away. Also to pay for the drinking package to be told I cant have my choice cocktail the last 3 days because they "ran out" of limes, when in reality I found out they stopped serving drinks with fruit because of the norovirus makes me question the ship's integrity. I know we recieved a letter and the captain mentioned it but for someone who has never experienced this before it was hard to understand the extent and seriousness of the situation.

I was lucky that my party has not been effected by the norovirus yet (mainifestation can be 1-3 days) but for those who did fall ill I would be even more upset reading some of this after the fact.

Why would other cruise line ships be warned of the outbreak? Makes you wonder just how many passengers were affected as well as how effective the sanitizing efforts really were that at least 3 sailings were hit with Noro.

MARAPRINCE

I also just got off the ship & I'm annoyed to know the illness was present for so long. 3 out of 4 of us got it! It was a miserable end of cruise experience, with a full day down of just passing out in bed. Luckily it was at the end of our trip, although I know many others missed port days. I've never before had norovirus. For me, it was severe pain like I had suddenly done a million ab exercises targeting different muscle groups. Even trying to sleep, I'd wake up to feel my stomach just pulsing. Very painful. Since we got it so late, we didn't visit the infirmary and just confined ourselves to our room - I bet others did, too, so I'm sure the actual data doesn't reflect the number of people impacted.

I saw some issues, including: major overcrowding at the kids club (my daughter was the first wo"man" down), people refilling their personal drink containers and allowing the valve of the drink machine into their cups)... I don't think there were enough trash bins and collection areas, so there was often food or cups around by the elevators. In the gym, they should consider lysol spray for the mats & such, since they are porous and the wipes available were insubstantial.

I also just got off the ship & I'm annoyed to know the illness was present for so long. 3 out of 4 of us got it! It was a miserable end of cruise experience, with a full day down of just passing out in bed. Luckily it was at the end of our trip, although I know many others missed port days. I've never before had norovirus. For me, it was severe pain like I had suddenly done a million ab exercises targeting different muscle groups. Even trying to sleep, I'd wake up to feel my stomach just pulsing. Very painful. Since we got it so late, we didn't visit the infirmary and just confined ourselves to our room - I bet others did, too, so I'm sure the actual data doesn't reflect the number of people impacted.

I saw some issues, including: major overcrowding at the kids club (my daughter was the first wo"man" down), people refilling their personal drink containers and allowing the valve of the drink machine into their cups)... I don't think there were enough trash bins and collection areas, so there was often food or cups around by the elevators. In the gym, they should consider lysol spray for the mats & such, since they are porous and the wipes available were insubstantial.

My first experience with Noro. Did not know what to expect either. Numerous trips to the restroom even though I was being extra careful with what I ate. Must say their brand of toilet tissue is a long, long way from being Charmin especially if you are using a lot of it!:( Severe pains/cramps along the lower part of the stomach along with a lot of "activity" in there and a big lack of energy. The last morning I only managed to eat some of my bagel at breakfast in the dining room. Nothing was really appealing after last night's very dry white rice, 3 slices of whole wheat toast, apple sauce (best thing on the tray) and 2 bottles of water. All of which was served in brown cardboard plates wrapped in Saran wrap with plastic utensils. You would think I would be hunger, but no. One more "quick" trip and more medicine before leaving the ship. Even our luggage was handled separately and was not found in our assigned section in the Bayonne terminal.

MARAPRINCE

Can't blame the ship and crew when people are symbolically rinsing their hands before going into the Windjammer rather than using soap and water. My wife and I witnessed it several times. And that was after they sent out the warning about some passengers having the virus.

There's more than a good chance that what happened on the 11/4 cruise had nothing to do with the previous cruise. With 1100 kids on board, many of whom were in school just the day before embarkation, it's just as likely it was brought onboard by 11/4 passengers.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Also to pay for the drinking package to be told I cant have my choice cocktail the last 3 days because they "ran out" of limes, when in reality I found out they stopped serving drinks with fruit because of the norovirus makes me question the ship's integrity.

I would love to know who told you they stopped serving drinks with fruit, as one of the standard sanitation procedures, even when there is no noro, is that all "ready to eat" food, like fruits and vegetables for salads are sanitized before leaving the provisions area.

Can't blame the ship and crew when people are symbolically rinsing their hands before going into the Windjammer rather than using soap and water. My wife and I witnessed it several times. And that was after they sent out the warning about some passengers having the virus.

There's more than a good chance that what happened on the 11/4 cruise had nothing to do with the previous cruise. With 1100 kids on board, many of whom were in school just the day before embarkation, it's just as likely it was brought onboard by 11/4 passengers.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

1100 kids? This is worse than Carnival!

Why would be so many kids onboard outside from school vacation?

people refilling their personal drink containers and allowing the valve of the drink machine into their cups... I don't think there were enough trash bins and collection areas, so there was often food or cups around by the elevators

This is absolutely disgusting and I have seen it happen way too many times. I have even called it to the attention of the staff and they didn't bother to shut down the machine and clean it. This is why we don't eat in the buffet areas, we push elevator buttons with elbow or back of fingers, don't touch railings if possible, etc. Oh and how about the slot machines for those who gamble. I always carry wipes with me and wipe the buttons/keys of the machines. Washy, washy those hands with soap and hot water.

I would love to know who told you they stopped serving drinks with fruit, as one of the standard sanitation procedures, even when there is no noro, is that all "ready to eat" food, like fruits and vegetables for salads are sanitized before leaving the provisions area.

My son ordered a mojito and could not get one because the mint was taken away because it sits out in the open all day. Airborne germs