Victoria Pub Tour

phtktz3

Has anyone down this tour? We are going on Star Princess and this is one of the excursions offered by the ship. Any info would be appreciated.

Victoria has GREAT beer, amazing fabulous beer (I know I lived there for 25 years). I live in Vancouver now and the beer culture is nowhere near what Victoria has to offer.

But do the tour yourself. There are a number of great pubs/microbreweries in Victoria, and really not that far to walk. If you're wanting to make a nice walk of it;

#1) Sticky Wicket; local pub downtown

Walk to the Sticky Wicket in the 800 block of Douglas st. Grab a bite. They don't have a brewery on site, but have very good food. If you dont want to eat here, try crossing the street and visit "the Noodle Box" for lunch.

If you can't make it this far from the dock w/o a beer, you also walk right past the James Bay Inn at the corner of Government & Toronto St on the way.

#2) to Swans;

Swans Pub/Buckerfields Brewery; nice on-site brewery, I'm particularly fond of the Appleton Brown (if they're serving it that day). The previous owner died a few years back and actually willed the pub to the local university!!

#3) to Vancouver Island Brewery;

This is worth the visit and they offer full tours. Corner of Government St and Bay St. I'm a big fan of 'Hermans Dark Lager' (if you're looking for something interesting to try at the Sticky W, this would be a good choice)

#4) to Spinnikers;

Ground Zero for beer in Western Canada. Everything is great here, I highly recommend their IPA and Michells ESB. Food is good too, and a nive view of the harbour.

#5) And sadly back to the ship.

You can either cab it from here, take the harbour ferry across the harbour ($2), or a combination of both.

Google Map of proposed route

Most decent/craft beer by the pint will be in the C$5-6 range, lunch should be no more than $12, and a cab from spinny's back to the dock maybe another $10-12. So about 1/2 the price of doing it with the ship. Also you could do the loop the other way, immediately grabbing a cab off the ship to go to Spinny's.

Other notable beer things in Victoria;

1) Philips Brewing (phillipsbeer.com) Small Victoria based brewery with some real gems in their portfolio. Blue Buck (formerly Blue Truck), their Espresso Stout, Double Chocolate Porter MMmmmm. Available in good liquor stores. Also a good choice for something to try at the Wicket. My vote as Victoria's best brewery (but not as large as VI, and don't offer tours).

2) Lighthouse Brewing. http://www.lighthousebrewing.com/ Another local brewery.

• 1 month later...
Victoria has GREAT beer, amazing fabulous beer (I know I lived there for 25 years). I live in Vancouver now and the beer culture is nowhere near what Victoria has to offer.

But do the tour yourself. There are a number of great pubs/microbreweries in Victoria, and really not that far to walk. If you're wanting to make a nice walk of it;

#1) Sticky Wicket; local pub downtown

Walk to the Sticky Wicket in the 800 block of Douglas st. Grab a bite. They don't have a brewery on site, but have very good food. If you dont want to eat here, try crossing the street and visit "the Noodle Box" for lunch.

If you can't make it this far from the dock w/o a beer, you also walk right past the James Bay Inn at the corner of Government & Toronto St on the way.

#2) to Swans;

Swans Pub/Buckerfields Brewery; nice on-site brewery, I'm particularly fond of the Appleton Brown (if they're serving it that day). The previous owner died a few years back and actually willed the pub to the local university!!

#3) to Vancouver Island Brewery;

This is worth the visit and they offer full tours. Corner of Government St and Bay St. I'm a big fan of 'Hermans Dark Lager' (if you're looking for something interesting to try at the Sticky W, this would be a good choice)

#4) to Spinnikers;

Ground Zero for beer in Western Canada. Everything is great here, I highly recommend their IPA and Michells ESB. Food is good too, and a nive view of the harbour.

#5) And sadly back to the ship.

You can either cab it from here, take the harbour ferry across the harbour ($2), or a combination of both.

Google Map of proposed route

Most decent/craft beer by the pint will be in the C$5-6 range, lunch should be no more than $12, and a cab from spinny's back to the dock maybe another $10-12. So about 1/2 the price of doing it with the ship. Also you could do the loop the other way, immediately grabbing a cab off the ship to go to Spinny's.

Other notable beer things in Victoria;

1) Philips Brewing (phillipsbeer.com) Small Victoria based brewery with some real gems in their portfolio. Blue Buck (formerly Blue Truck), their Espresso Stout, Double Chocolate Porter MMmmmm. Available in good liquor stores. Also a good choice for something to try at the Wicket. My vote as Victoria's best brewery (but not as large as VI, and don't offer tours).

2) Lighthouse Brewing. http://www.lighthousebrewing.com/ Another local brewery.

Expert advise! How are you and Marie doing? We'll be in Victoria again on October 8th so have already printed your list!

There is also Hugo's Brewhouse in the Magnolia Hotel at 625 Courtenay St. it is new on the block by Victoria standards but worth a visit. I believe it is owned by the Olson family who also own the Sticky Wicket and the Strathconna Hotel.

Good advice. You could also try the Canoe Brewpub which is in an old warehouse close to Swans. They brew their own beer also & like Swans, you can get a taster with small samples of all the beers. Swans & the Canoe are good for food, as is Spinnakers although it is quite expensive now. Spinnakers is pure West Coast Brewpub history. Start or finish there & take the water taxi. It is a special trip in itself.

I think that the Lighthouse ales are among the best (as well as Spinnakers). The Sticky Wicket (IMHO) is OK but has more of a 'chain' feel to it & less of the 'real' pub feel. The Penny Farthing out at Oak Bay & the Smugglers' Cove at Cadboro Bay are also good pubs.

Enjoy. Oh & by the way, don't miss your ship!!!:D

Graham.

Archived