Mozambique isle

seabourndt

This is the entry from my diary of our day onMozambique Island during our Fred Olsen cruise. I make notes for futurereference so hope they may be helpful to you. I enjoyed the island but the peopleare very poor and it can be quite a culture shock.

Day27. Thursday 9th November 2017

MozambiqueIsland. 08.30 - 17.00

Tenderport

Timechange - 1 hour forward.

A.M.Very hot, humid, windy and overcast with sunny intervals.

P.M.As above

Seaconditions: calm until the wind got stronger.

We were on the first tender and disembarked at theisland at 09.00.

We walked across the island to the far side andwalked along the sea front for a while before going back into town and having adrink at the cafe.

After a rest in the cafe we strolled up to thefort and then back to the pier so I could get the tender back to the ship and Iwas on board for 12.30. Jim stayed on the island to go bird hunting and then dosome fishing.

Jim was back on board by 14.00 because the birdlife was limited and the tide was out so no fishing......oh dear!

38778528640_043d75ac33_b.jpgIMG_0992 by

Mozambiquejetty

· It is a tender port.

· The tender drops off at a jetty from whereit is 50m into town.

· There are no facilities on the jetty butthere were a couple of stalls selling local produce, people offering theirservices as guides and a booth selling guided walking, taxi and boat trips plusbike hire.

38778527400_e11d86d86b_b.jpg by

39693942415_9fcaae54de_b.jpgIMG_1051 by

· There was a group of dancers performing awelcome dance as we stepped off the pier.

40588613361_6be602ecaf_b.jpgIMG_6175 by

· People had set up an impromptu market atthe exit to the pier.

38778524810_c3c6086179_b.jpgIMG_1011 by

· There were taxis and tuk-tuks plusmotorbike taxis advertising that they carried 2 passengers but I didn't seeanyone taking advantage of those........!!

25717901187_753d3869f6_b.jpgIMG_6209 by

Hi, I’m glad you found the information useful. All visa were handled by the ship and charged to our on board account.

To be honest, I wouldn’t bother with a ship's excursion unless you really want a guide to explain everything or it was taking you to the mainland. I have walking difficulties but I managed to walk around the town and out to the beaches.

I hope you enjoy your time there. The cafe was worth a visit and the people, although persistent, were very glad to see us.