Venice Signature Experience review

moorerf

We were on the April 30 Oosterdam 12 day Adriatic Dream cruise. We booked a Neptune suite and got the pre cruise signature experience in Venice. We arrived on Saturday, two days before the cruise. We were met in baggage claim by a well marked HAL rep who after we got luggage directed us to three ladies outside. One of the ladies walked us the long trek to the new airport boat dock. There were moving sidewalks but it was a good 20 minute walk. After a short wait we and our luggage were put on a private water taxi and taken to our hotel-Papadopoli near piazza Roma. It was about 25 minutes by boat. The room was not ready at 1130 but promised for 2 but it was actually about 220 before we got our room key. We went out for lunch and a stroll but still had to wait a bit in the lobby. There was a HAL rep in hotel lobby who gave you letter with info about experience and transfer to ship. The hotel was 4 star, well located, very clean and nice staff. Our room was a typical small European hotel room but ample space and nice amenities including a great shower. The buffet breakfast was massive and had many good choices. You were sure to find something to suit your needs. The experience on day 2 was wonderful. We left hotel by water taxi at 530 pm for a 25 minute ride to a doge palace. There we had drinks, heavy appetizers, desserts, entertainment and a talk by a member of the doge family. It was a grand evening weather wise and we thoroughly enjoyed the 2 and half hours. We were returned to the hotel by water taxi by 9 pm. The day of the cruise embarkation we had to put our luggage outside our room by 8 am. It was next seen in our stateroom. We had to checkout at 10 am and the water taxi transfer began about 1050. After a 20 minute ride we got out and had a fairly good walk to the terminal. A shuttle would have been nice esp for some the older follks. Checkin was a breeze and we were in and out of the terminal, on to the ship in about 20 minutes. All in all it was a grand experience and so glad we had it included. Kudos to HAL for all the arrangements and the excellent planning.

The only thing that made me pucker up a bit was leaving your luggage in the hotel hallway. It seems like they could have arranged to knock on your door at or after 8am to get the luggage instead? But it sounds like it wasn't an issue, and I'm glad to see HAL offering such a nice set of perks free of charge!

We were on the April 30 Oosterdam 12 day Adriatic Dream cruise. We booked a Neptune suite and got the pre cruise signature experience in Venice. We arrived on Saturday, two days before the cruise. We were met in baggage claim by a well marked HAL rep who after we got luggage directed us to three ladies outside. One of the ladies walked us the long trek to the new airport boat dock. There were moving sidewalks but it was a good 20 minute walk. After a short wait we and our luggage were put on a private water taxi and taken to our hotel-Papadopoli near piazza Roma. It was about 25 minutes by boat. The room was not ready at 1130 but promised for 2 but it was actually about 220 before we got our room key. We went out for lunch and a stroll but still had to wait a bit in the lobby. There was a HAL rep in hotel lobby who gave you letter with info about experience and transfer to ship. The hotel was 4 star, well located, very clean and nice staff. Our room was a typical small European hotel room but ample space and nice amenities including a great shower. The buffet breakfast was massive and had many good choices. You were sure to find something to suit your needs. The experience on day 2 was wonderful. We left hotel by water taxi at 530 pm for a 25 minute ride to a doge palace. There we had drinks, heavy appetizers, desserts, entertainment and a talk by a member of the doge family. It was a grand evening weather wise and we thoroughly enjoyed the 2 and half hours. We were returned to the hotel by water taxi by 9 pm. The day of the cruise embarkation we had to put our luggage outside our room by 8 am. It was next seen in our stateroom. We had to checkout at 10 am and the water taxi transfer began about 1050. After a 20 minute ride we got out and had a fairly good walk to the terminal. A shuttle would have been nice esp for some the older follks. Checkin was a breeze and we were in and out of the terminal, on to the ship in about 20 minutes. All in all it was a grand experience and so glad we had it included. Kudos to HAL for all the arrangements and the excellent planning.

Thanks so much for this review. We are doing the Signature Experience in Venice in August. But our hotel is different. We’re staying at the Hotel Concordia. Do you mind sharing what you wore to the evening event at the Doge Palace? Was it a formal evening? Also, the transfer to the ship sounds early. What time did your ship sail on embarkation day? We don’t sail until 9:00PM so we were hoping to do some additional site seeing before we went to the ship but don’t want to miss the HAL provided transportation. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for sharing this. We have a pre cruise signature experience in Auckland and had no idea what to expect! Although differing venues, it sounds as though the experience was fabulous!

Which Auckland hotel is HAL using?

Thanks so much for this review. We are doing the Signature Experience in Venice in August. But our hotel is different. We’re staying at the Hotel Concordia. Do you mind sharing what you wore to the evening event at the Doge Palace? Was it a formal evening? Also, the transfer to the ship sounds early. What time did your ship sail on embarkation day? We don’t sail until 9:00PM so we were hoping to do some additional site seeing before we went to the ship but don’t want to miss the HAL provided transportation. Thanks again!

Your hotel is right on St Marks square so that is great location esp if this is your first Venice visit. We had been to Venice 3 previous times so did not mind the location about 1 mile from St Marks and a 30 minute vaporetto ride away. We enjoyed exploring a new area of Venice for us. Our ship sailed at 4 and all on board was 330 so the transfer was perfect. The terminal was not crowded at that time either. Your transfer may be later but you may still have to check out in the morning and store anything you don't want to carry. Our HAL reps were very helpful with this and other things. I wore a sleeveless dress with jacket I had gotten for a casual wedding my son had last summer. My husband wore dress pants, cufflink shirt with bow tie and a sport coat. Most people were dressed nicely with ladies in dressy dresses or pant suits and the men in dress shirts, dress pants and many with coats. There was a mix of tie and no tie. Of course there a few in casual attire and I felt they stood out.

For the concern on suitcases outside room. This was a 4 star hotel and seemed very secure. The elevator was next to check in desk and there was always someone there watching the desk and elevator. I did not find putting out my luggage here any different than putting it out on the ship the night before disembarking. To me it was nice you did not have to lug it to the lobby or wait for someone to come by and get it. We put it out and went to breakfast. When we returned it was gone and we even saw it in the lobby when we got on elevator.:)

I'm glad you enjoyed your Venice experience; we spent 5 days there last year and made wonderful memories. Can you please explain something; what are "heavy appetizers"?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thank you for the quick reply @moorerf and the additional information! This will be our second visit to Venice and we are so excited to be visiting this unique city again! I agree with your comments concerning the luggage. HAL does an excellent job on the transfer and we were never concerned about it at the hotel or getting it on board in our stateroom.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad you enjoyed your Venice experience; we spent 5 days there last year and made wonderful memories. Can you please explain something; what are "heavy appetizers"?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

sorry about the delay in answering....there were a couple of people walking around with shrimp kabobs, bruschetta like items, pastries with various fillings. on a table they first had many cheeses, fruits, breads and crackers and bite size items like mushrooms. after while this became a selection of sweets and fruits. it was all delicious but might for some have not been enough to consider it dinner. we had a large lunch around 1 pm so it was just right for a light dinner. ( I heard a few people mention either they had dinner reservations around 930 pm at the hotel or they were going to try and find something else to eat when we got back around 9 pm.)

sorry about the delay in answering....there were a couple of people walking around with shrimp kabobs, bruschetta like items, pastries with various fillings. on a table they first had many cheeses, fruits, breads and crackers and bite size items like mushrooms. after while this became a selection of sweets and fruits. it was all delicious but might for some have not been enough to consider it dinner. we had a large lunch around 1 pm so it was just right for a light dinner. ( I heard a few people mention either they had dinner reservations around 930 pm at the hotel or they were going to try and find something else to eat when we got back around 9 pm.)

Thanks so much for this additional info! You are really helping us plan accordingly for our Venetian Signature Experience in August.

Is the signature experience only offered to Neptune suites?

thanks

Bob

No, the Signature Experience was included with any suite at booking. We are in a Signature Suite. You can also purchase it with any other cabin category for $900 per person. It included two nights in Venice (we’re in the Hotel Concordia overlooking St Marks square), all your transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship, and the evening in Venice that you’ve read about in this thread.

Very interesting MajMom96

Did you specifically ask for this free package or did HAL randomly include you when you booked?

I ask cause on our Rome pre Trans Atlantic stay I purchased a package which included hotel stay and all transfers from the airport and to the ship.

Bob

Very interesting MajMom96

Did you specifically ask for this free package or did HAL randomly include you when you booked?

I ask cause on our Rome pre Trans Atlantic stay I purchased a package which included hotel stay and all transfers from the airport and to the ship.

Bob

I didn’t actually “ask” for it. It was advertised on their website at the time we made our booking. You can still find it on the website but it’s not as prominently displayed anymore. The description said it was included if you booked a suite and $900 per person if you booked any other category cabin. So based on that, we did some cost comparisons (cost of the hotel, transfers, an excursion in Venice) as well as the cabin price for a Signature Suite vs. a Balcony and the final cost analysis made sense for us to book the suite and get the Signature Experience included with a nicer cabin. Especially since we were planning on a few days in Venice anyway. We also booked during the Explore 4 promo, so we have that as well. We can’t wait! We leave in 75 days!

• 3 weeks later...