Need help selecting a family cruise!

Jenglish711

Hi all, I'll try to keep this short but I suspect it won't be.

We would like to take a cruise in Feb 2019. It would be me, my husband, and our 4 year old daughter. I may or may not be pregnant at the time (yes we know about the 24 weeks rule so we're playing it by ear. Thank god for refundable deposits). Having said that, we are obviously only interested in cruises to the Bahamas/FL. Here in NY there is a midwinter break during the week of President's Day but that's not a deciding factor with a preschooler. So here's where I'm at:

NCL Escape from Manhattan, Feb 24-March 3, large balcony

$100 deposit, total $3179.59

*** Perk: internet (not big drinkers and don't want to bring a toddler to the fee restaurants)

Port Canaveral

Great Stirrup Cay

Nassau

The only con I can see is that the stop in FL is only from 1-9pm, and that kind of puts the kibosh on any sort of in-depth touring of Kennedy (which is what we would want to do). Their private island looks fine and I'm sure we can figure out some sort of a beach day or something for Nassau.

RCI Anthem of the Seas from NJ, Feb 23-March 3, large balcony

$750 deposit, $3195.45 total

*** No perks

Port Canaveral

Nassau

Coco Cay

I like this because the stop in FL is a full day (7 am-7 pm) so we can really nerd out at Kennedy. We are big space and NASA fans, lol. Same feelings about their private island and Nassau as we have for the NCL cruise. Not a deal breaker or maker.

And for skips and giggles I randomly looked up Carnival:

Carnival Pride from Baltimore (would drive from NY), Feb 17-24, large balcony

$225 deposit, $2298.20 total

*** No perks

Princess Cays

Nassau

Freeport

I just looked at this today because I was interested to see what Carnival offered. No real "feelings" on any port.

So basically we just have to get out of NY in February. Provided I won't be past 24 weeks during the cruise, what say you all? We have placed a deposit on the NCL sailing but I'm actually pretty torn about the time in FL between the two ships. Would love to have a full day.

More importantly, does anyone have any experience on at least 2 out of 3 of the kid's clubs, especially where toddlers are concerned? Which do you like better? And I know they are all good lines/ships for families, but which would you choose for a family cruise? It will be our 3rd and our daughter's 1st.

I'm usually such a great planner but am having trouble with this trip, especially where the kid's clubs are concerned. I figured here is a good place to ask if anyone has experience with more than one line's kid's club and can compare them a little.

Thank you!

I haven't sailed RC, but generally children have been very happy with the kids clubs on all the major lines, except for the fact that some younger children have difficulties with Disney kids clubs due to their lack of structure (they allow a very wide age grouping, so they can't have structured activities). As you probably already know, the Bahamas have been taken off the zika list, so that's a possibility if you are less than 24 weeks pregnant.

Okay well never mind! Husband, who can’t make up his mind ever, has definitively stated he wants the whole day at Kennedy. Anthem it is!

:')

Personally, I would have taken the much cheaper cruise on the Pride and put the $1000 savings toward a second vacation to Disney with a day trip to space center. RCI is not worth that difference in price for me and we cruise to 1)get away and 2) explore new places.

I think you will be very happy with Anthem - it is amazing ship with a ton to do. We started cruising RCI when our son was one month shy of 4, and he loves the kids club. In fact, we are in Alaska at the moment, and he spends most of his time in there when we are not on excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd also consider cruises on Princess out of FLL/NY. We always pay no more than $2K for the 3 of us on Princess - we wait for the $99 sale for the 3/4 passenger.

I too would have taken Carnival out of the three above and used the difference on another trip. We love cruising! And so does our kiddo who started cruising a couple of months short of his 4th birthday. He, however, does not go to kid's clubs - not because he doesn't like them (they are fabulous on Princess and our friends' kids love going from morning till night), but because he has separation anxiety.

Personally, I would have taken the much cheaper cruise on the Pride and put the $1000 savings toward a second vacation to Disney with a day trip to space center. RCI is not worth that difference in price for me and we cruise to 1)get away and 2) explore new places.

Well this cruise is a break from Disney, lol. And when we go to Disney we spend the whole week there with our break day being a pool day, lol. This is the perfect opportunity for us to see Kennedy!

I think you will be very happy with Anthem - it is amazing ship with a ton to do. We started cruising RCI when our son was one month shy of 4, and he loves the kids club. In fact, we are in Alaska at the moment, and he spends most of his time in there when we are not on excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the confirmation that we’ll be happy! We’re really looking forward to it. I’ve been looking at posted AO dailies and I think our kiddo will really enjoy the club.

I'd also consider cruises on Princess out of FLL/NY. We always pay no more than $2K for the 3 of us on Princess - we wait for the $99 sale for the 3/4 passenger.

I too would have taken Carnival out of the three above and used the difference on another trip. We love cruising! And so does our kiddo who started cruising a couple of months short of his 4th birthday. He, however, does not go to kid's clubs - not because he doesn't like them (they are fabulous on Princess and our friends' kids love going from morning till night), but because he has separation anxiety.

We prefer to sail from NY/NJ and Princess doesn’t offer sailings until May from up here. But thank you for the suggestion!

We prefer to sail from NY/NJ and Princess doesn’t offer sailings until May from up here. But thank you for the suggestion!

we prefer Florida ports, because most of them have a direct short flight from/to ATL.

Alas, now that the kid is school age, we are limited to school breaks. Otherwise, we'd go at the beginning of December when the prices are the lowest.

Well this cruise is a break from Disney, lol. And when we go to Disney we spend the whole week there with our break day being a pool day, lol. This is the perfect opportunity for us to see Kennedy!

Then it will work perfectly for you and you have chosen well!