Buying European Sim Cards after arrival

cpl100

We are cruising in September and will be in Sorrento, Italy for a week prior and Paris, France for 6 days post cruise. The cruise stops are Italy, France and Spain.

Last time I was in Rome we were able to buy a local Sim card which served us for all of Italy for about 30 Euros. We purchased it in downtown Rome from a place recommended to me here on CC.

My questions are these:

Does anyone know if there is an option that will work both in Italy and France (and how to get it either in Sorrento or at the airport when we change planes in FCO). We would no have time to go through immigration and then security at FCO to get it so it would have to be in the transfer area.

Failing that, does anyone have experience purchasing a good, reasonable plan in Italy (I will ask in the France boards about France).

I have Verizon and the charge is usually $10 per day overseas which can really add up so want to check for a cheaper option if available.

Thanks very much for any and all help. And have a great day!

Yes, I used 3 in Italy and it worked quite well for phone, texts etc. while I also continued to utilize the WiFi feature on my phone for Skype or FaceTime etc. Very easy to use and reload online if you need to.

In France the big provider is Orange. Vodafone (owned by Verizon last I checked, you’d think this would be easier for us!) is big in both countries but I’m not sure if one SIM card would necessarily work on both systems and yet I can’t think why it wouldn’t. I do remember Vodafone cost more than 3.

The Verizon international plan tends to almost not make much sense although some users find it suits them. I think Verizon’s plan suits mostly Verizon. :eek:

This gets asked on the France board more often than on this board, do have a look over there. :)

We are cruising in September and will be in Sorrento, Italy for a week prior and Paris, France for 6 days post cruise. The cruise stops are Italy, France and Spain.

Last time I was in Rome we were able to buy a local Sim card which served us for all of Italy for about 30 Euros. We purchased it in downtown Rome from a place recommended to me here on CC.

My questions are these:

Does anyone know if there is an option that will work both in Italy and France (and how to get it either in Sorrento or at the airport when we change planes in FCO). We would no have time to go through immigration and then security at FCO to get it so it would have to be in the transfer area.

Failing that, does anyone have experience purchasing a good, reasonable plan in Italy (I will ask in the France boards about France).

I have Verizon and the charge is usually $10 per day overseas which can really add up so want to check for a cheaper option if available.

Insidr Paris is a great company that rents cells, we use it all the time in Paris, you can have up to 6 item I think hotspot on their phone.

It is great also having a phone a friend for Amy questions. We have then it to Amsterdam as well.. you can pick it up at cdg or have it sent to you... highly recommend them if you are going to Paris .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You only need an Italian SIM (TIM is the major player in Italy). Due to EU roaming you are able to use the SIM in all EU countries. So France and Spain are covered. There are no extra roaming fees. So if you have 2 GB data plan you can use the data in Italy, France or Spain with no extra cost. Same for calling or texting.

So one SIM card is good for all over Europe (EU). There are some exemptions... Monaco is not covered. Some plans do cover Switzerland, some don´t. Norway is covered too.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a kiosk in the FCO airport where a SIM card for a U.S. unlocked AT&T iPhone can be purchased? On a recent tour in Costa Rica, we found such a kiosk right in the airport, which seems like the easiest and fastest way to get European coverage. We will be on two cruises, back to back, in Italy, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland. I think I understand from other posts that any EU SIM card will work for us in most or all of these countries.

Alternatively, does it make sense to buy one online before travel, and if so, through which site?

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree
Correcting: only FCO airport is relevant to me for this question.

• 2 weeks later...

My questions are these:

We were in France last year and bought an Orange holiday card that was good for 2weeks with international talk and 10Gb data. We are returning to Italy, Spain and France this fall and I have purchased the same card via amazon for about $50–it was 39 euros in France. We had a good experience with the orange sim.

My understanding is that it will work in Italy, Spain and France and I like the idea of having my number ahead of time for excursion operators and also not having to buy one at the airport when we are tired from the flight.

Just another option!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were in France last year and bought an Orange holiday card that was good for 2weeks with international talk and 10Gb data. We are returning to Italy, Spain and France this fall and I have purchased the same card via amazon for about $50–it was 39 euros in France. We had a good experience with the orange sim.

My understanding is that it will work in Italy, Spain and France and I like the idea of having my number ahead of time for excursion operators and also not having to buy one at the airport when we are tired from the flight.

Just another option!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Do you know if it has to be two consecutive weeks and/or if there was a one month version?

Thanks. Do you know if it has to be two consecutive weeks and/or if there was a one month version?

I looked at the Orange holiday website and I have 2 impressions in response to your question. (1) I think the 14 days runs from when you first use the phone (for a text, a call, using the internet). So it is 2 consecutive weeks. (2) I don't think there is a 30 day version, but you can recharge it for an additional 14 days or 30 days (with a lesser offer of data and calls and texts) for 10, 20, or 25 Euros. https://topup.orange.com/faq-transpays/faq-about-orange-holiday-france-offer/

But I welcome input from someone who has actually used the Orange Holiday SIM.

In my case, I will be in Europe this fall for 27 days, arriving in Italy. For me, the TIM for Visitors SIM looks like a better option as it is good for 30 days from the outset (although it is not renewable - but I think it can be recharged during the 30 days if you run out of data). I will research further and if I come up with definitive answers I will post them here. The TIM for Visitors apparently costs either 30 Euros at a TIM store in a city or 35 Euros at the airport.

Tom & Judy

I believe I got the TIM for Visitors last time in Italy for 30 Euros two years ago when in Italy. It did not cover any other countries but maybe it does now with the new European roaming rules. And it did not give as much data as the Orange card if I recall correctly.

Does anyone know?

I believe I got the TIM for Visitors last time in Italy for 30 Euros two years ago when in Italy. It did not cover any other countries but maybe it does now with the new European roaming rules. And it did not give as much data as the Orange card if I recall correctly.

Does anyone know?

Due to the European roaming rules all SIM cards bought in Europe are covering other EU countries (Switzerland, Monaco and some others can be not covered - read the fine print). This covers phone calls, text messages and data.

As for TIM - as with all other providers their offers change quickly. You might not find the same offer the following year.

steamboats

Does anyone know?

What I have found so far:

Tim for Visitors

30 Euros (35 at FCO), 4 GB data, 100 minutes talk, Good for 30 days

Orange Holiday

$50 Amazon, 10 GB data, 120 minutes talk, Good for 14 days*

*can buy top-up for additional 14 days for 10 Euros or 20 Euros

Reviews on TIM for Visitors are quite mixed. Orange Holiday seems better except (in my case) for the need to buy a second 14 day period (just seems like another point at which something can go wrong). I am also exploring other sources such as www.cellularabroad.com and www.telestial.com. I still have time so I can fool around with this for awhile.

Tom & Judy

What I have found so far:

Orange Holiday

$50 Amazon, 10 GB data, 120 minutes talk, Good for 14 days*

*can buy top-up for additional 14 days for 10 Euros or 20 Euros

Tom & Judy

Do you know how they calculate text messages within that? Our kids will be back stateside with our parents and we may want quick texts to check in and not necessarily a full-blown phone conversation. Thanks

Do you know how they calculate text messages within that? Our kids will be back stateside with our parents and we may want quick texts to check in and not necessarily a full-blown phone conversation. Thanks

I don’t know and different SIM cards will treat that differently. Check for details.

But if you use a message app such as WhatsApp, or if you use iPhone to iPhone iMessages, these go as data messages, not text messages, and use tiny amounts of data.

Tom & Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did buy the top up for another 2 weeks—I think it was 20 euros? And added another 5 gb plus talk time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were in France, we texted freely to the states on the orange holiday card.

The top up was actually easy too. We waited and bought both the holiday card and the top up from a kiosk in the airport right after immigration/customs. She installed the card for us and gave me a receipt with the “code” and instructions to enter when it was time to top up. It actually worked perfectly.

I bought one online from amazon for our trip in November since we are starting in Italy. It was a little more money$50 instead of 39euros but I had read some so so reviews of the TIM card and other Italian ones so just went with what I knew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmobile has free texting and free data (in theory they commit to provide slow 2G but in most cities you may get 3g/4G) in most countries.

We travel to Europe several times a year and Tmobile has been great (and free too)

Does anyone know if any of the SIM cards will work in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece?

Thanks.

Stan: I understand that the general principle is that any EU SIM card must now work without roaming charges in any other EU country. (This is since some new EU legislation a couple years ago.) Most of the SIMs discussed in this thread are EU SIM cards. I readily found the link for the Orange Holiday SIM, and all the countries you mentioned are covered. https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Holiday-Europe-tethering-countries/dp/B06XBYMX58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532968018&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+holiday+sim&dpID=51F1y5M5giL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I could not readily find the list of countries for the TIM for Visitors card.

Tom & Judy

Does anyone know if any of the SIM cards will work in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece?

Free roaming won´t be available for Montenegro as it´s not member of the EU. All other countries are good!

steamboats

Does anyone know how it works on the other end of things?

If I buy an Orange sim card, I then have a European number. When I call my mom (who will be watching my kids in the U.S.) is she going to incur international fees are whatnot on her phone?

I just want to be prepared to reimburse her for any fees incurred for watching our kids!

Does anyone know how it works on the other end of things?

If I buy an Orange sim card, I then have a European number. When I call my mom (who will be watching my kids in the U.S.) is she going to incur international fees are whatnot on her phone?

I just want to be prepared to reimburse her for any fees incurred for watching our kids!

No, she will not have any charges or fees, it would be like a regular call for her!

If she was to call you then yes she would have fees.

Kerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro