Help understanding V cabin guarantee

baxley

We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam and were told we could have a V guarantee cabin with balcony for same price as an oceanview....so we took it. They said it would be a V or better cabin. What is above a V? Do all the Vs, VH, etc come above or under a V? Just wondering what we could end up with. Thanks for any info.

We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam and were told we could have a V guarantee cabin with balcony for same price as an oceanview....so we took it. They said it would be a V or better cabin. What is above a V? Do all the Vs, VH, etc come above or under a V? Just wondering what we could end up with. Thanks for any info.

I believe the “V” is the highest balcony cabin. I do not know where the VQ and VT cabins fall.

I think the VQ Spa Balcony rooms are considered by HAL as an "upgrade" from a V... and some of the VQs, the ones on the Observation Deck, are the ones with the tiny French balconies, so no chairs only standing room.

You may want to get clarification on what "upgrades" you could be assigned and check your options, or accept the possibilities. Best way to check is to go to the HAL website and do a "dummy" booking going only as far as cabin selection to see the prices... to look at what categories cost more than the V.

We took a VH guarantee on NA as an inexpensive upsell from a K (Inside) and received a very generic but nice VE assignment, but we could have wound up with a VQ, which is something we'd have been ok with for the price.

I don't see the VTs that were mentioned so I can't comment on those.

m--

Edited by RMLincoln

We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam and were told we could have a V guarantee cabin with balcony for same price as an oceanview....so we took it.
I believe you may have misunderstood. Generally guarantees offered by HAL are for the lowest level of a class, and I think you may have a generic verandah --- lower-case "v" --- not a V level guarantee. If that's true, you could get anything from the lowest VH to the top VQ. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong! :D:D:D:D

I believe the “V” is the highest balcony cabin. I do not know where the VQ and VT cabins fall.
There are no VT on the N.A. so the order there is VQ, V, VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, VF, VH according to HAL. However, since both the deck 10&11 VQ and deck 5 V have small balconies, IMO the best veranda cabins are the deck 8 VA, followed by the deck 4 VB because of their balcony size.
I think the VQ Spa Balcony rooms are considered by HAL as an "upgrade" from a V... and some of the VQs, the ones on the Observation Deck, are the ones with the tiny French balconies, so no chairs only standing room.
On the N.A., all VQ, including deck 11, have two chairs and a table. See http://halfacts.com/11001-nieuw-amsterdam/ and http://halfacts.com/11002-nieuw-amsterdam/ It is the rounded deck 11 VT balconies on the Eurodam that used to have no chairs, but now do. Edited by catl331

"Category: V Stateroom: Guarantee "

Here is what it said on our booking confirmation. It looks like a capital V to me! What do you think?

I'm still skeptical because it's neither the top nor bottom level. Good luck, and let us know what you get! :)

I once did a "middle of category" guarantee -- It was for a VD or higher. So yes, it does happen.
Yes, back before the mass re-categorization a few years ago, several times we booked VE gty to be sure to not get a VH or VF on deck 4 with the steel railings. But we paid the going VE price on that day, not an OV price. I presume you paid the VD price.

We no longer do guarantees, because I disagree that VQ and V are the best verandas!

Edited by catl331

I've been watching prices for my sailing on NA in 3 months. Inside cabins are sold out and virtually every balcony except for VQ are sold out and the price for OV is pretty high! So now with the view and verandah sale you can get an upgrade to a V guarantee for the same price as OV because V guarantee is all that is left for verandah (not suites). I know this because I tried to upgrade from VD to VB before my final payment and couldn't because both categories are sold out. I could only get V guarantee. My understanding is this V&V promo is available one more day. Looking forward to watching what happens to inventory and pricing on March 1.

Wonder if OP is on my same sailing or just a similar situation?

My understanding is this V&V promo is available one more day. Looking forward to watching what happens to inventory and pricing on March 1.

HAL released a higher category stateroom on an upcoming sailing today so I called to upgrade. I also put down a deposit on a V&V sailing in September. My PCC told me to give him a call on Monday to check whether the new deal would be worth changing. He says March 1st is the last day of the V&V and then it takes them 3 days to release the next sale. He does not know what the new sale will be.

I believe you may have misunderstood. Generally guarantees offered by HAL are for the lowest level of a class, and I think you may have a generic verandah --- lower-case "v" --- not a V level guarantee. If that's true, you could get anything from the lowest VH to the top VQ. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong! :D:D:D:D

There are no VT on the N.A. so the order there is VQ, V, VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, VF, VH according to HAL. However, since both the deck 10&11 VQ and deck 5 V have small balconies, IMO the best veranda cabins are the deck 8 VA, followed by the deck 4 VB because of their balcony size.

On the N.A., all VQ, including deck 11, have two chairs and a table. See http://halfacts.com/11001-nieuw-amsterdam/ and http://halfacts.com/11002-nieuw-amsterdam/ It is the rounded deck 11 VT balconies on the Eurodam that used to have no chairs, but now do.

Thanks for the correction that the French Balconies are not on NA, that the VQs have room for chairs! I still can't fathom how they are the "best" balcony rooms, terrible location in my opinion but for the right price I'd have taken one. m--

According to the deck plans on my TA website, rooms 11001-11010 have viewing balconies that do not have room for chairs. Under VQ category on HAL website, room includes verandah or viewing balcony. The observation deck balconies appear way too narrow for chairs. On deck 10, panorama, the verandahs appear double the depth. Anyone sail in one of these cabins on deck 11 recently who can clarify?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the VQ cabins are significantly larger than other Vx categories. As for location, it seems like there may have been a plan to offer some kind of spa suite like some other lines do? More private with better access to spa?

According to the deck plans on my TA website, rooms 11001-11010 have viewing balconies that do not have room for chairs.
Your TA website is wrong. Click on the links in post #5. On the Eurodam the rounded Juliette balconies originally did not have chairs, but reports are that they now do have small ones, not like those on most Vx.. But those are called VT, not VQ.
On deck 10, panorama, the verandahs appear double the depth.
They are a little deeper, but not double. See http://halfacts.com/10034-nieuw-amsterdam/

Don't judge balcony sizes solely by deck plans.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the VQ cabins are significantly larger than other Vx categories.
I've never been in one, but there have been comments on this forum that they appear to be a bit smaller than standard Vx. Look at the pictures of 10034 and 11002. They look to me to be about the standard size. Edited by catl331

• 4 months later...