Celebration & noise.

We are thinking of doing a cruise on the Celebration, but on reading reviews it seems to have a noise issue.

Where is the noise, stern? bow? it must be the engines?

If there is a noise issue where on the ship would it be least?

We usually book on decks 3 or 4 and never had a problem, but we are not usually either very close to the bow or to the stern and have therefore found locations on both of these decks to be quiet.

We have overheard some complaining about noise issues on decks 1 and 2, but maybe others who have had cabins on these decks could confirm or deny that.

People can it a vibration, it also occurs on Spirit. It is more of an oscillation than vibration and has random harmonics. It has been there since the ships were built. I understand it originates in the electricity generator in the engine room. apparently the ships hulls are actually container ship hulls that were bought uncompleted by Holland America in a past recession. as passenger ships they had to have twin propellers and engines so once all that was squeezed in the engine room there was only room for one large generator which is low revving and wobbles causing the 'vibration' They could fix it but it would cost more than the value of the ship

a lot of Celebration passengers including me soon got so used to it that we ceased to notice it

People can it a vibration, it also occurs on Spirit. It is more of an oscillation than vibration and has random harmonics. It has been there since the ships were built. I understand it originates in the electricity generator in the engine room. apparently, the ships hulls are actually container ship hulls that were bought uncompleted by Holland America in a past recession. as passenger ships, they had to have twin propellers and engines so once all that was squeezed in the engine room there was only room for one large generator which is low revving and wobbles causing the 'vibration' They could fix it but it would cost more than the value of the ship

a lot of Celebration passengers including me soon got so used to it that we ceased to notice it

Best description of the 'wobble' I have read, well done Dave.

Also, this 'wobble' is on felt when the ship is in port. And as most people are ashore or having fun onboard when in port, it really isn't an issue. The place you will feel it the most is on Deck 9 Horizons bar. So have a drink and you forget all about it.

Been on the Celebration 3 times (going again on her again this year). First twice we were at the back of the ship and the vibration/oscillation was quite noticeable and caused a number of things in the cabin to rattle. Third time we were nearer midships and hardly noticed anything.

Thank you all for your replies.

Another question does the ship have a pool side eatery, hamburgers etc.,?

Yes, the Terrace Grill, The pool is also just outside the Lido buffet and shares a bar with it

edit - I would happily cruise on Celebration again but I don't like the location of the single cabins

Finding this thread interesting as we are looking at Celebration for my 60th October 2019. We have been on Spirit that also has a vibration problem - not that it bothered us; can someone tell me if it is about the same on Celebration or better/worse? Many thanks.

Only can say about deck 7 but there is a wobble from approx cabin 140 back towards the laundry We try to get 131 near the lifts but next cruise unable to and have 138 which hopefully avoids the wobble Any cabins midships and forwards seem ok

PS just done Discovery 2 for 2nd cruise and Deck 6 6588 and 6554 either side of Coffee Port - a terrible vibration similar to being sat on a spin dryer when in bed when the ship is travelling fast and into the wind Had 7 nights of this in April across the Atlantic but only 2 nights the last cruise when travelling north to Corfu - worse than Cekebration/Spirit gentle wobble!!

We have been on celebration twice: last time we were on deck 4 aft. The noise was very bad, as was the vibration. We asked to be moved and they moved us fwd, still on deck 4, no noise, no vibration.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This from my post about Spirit on the subject...........

"............she does have a vibration problem.

It's an incurable design fault that she shares with her sister, Celebration - both have had the problem from birth.

It's usually described as a "vibration", but I think of it as more of a "shimmy".

It's intermittent and can strike whether at sea or in port. Sometimes lasts for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes - and sometimes affects one part of the ship (eg Broadway) and sometimes another (eg upper deck).

Not a big deal to most people, in fact it can be quite humorous - for instance seeing generously-proportioned passengers sun-bathing on the top deck, blissfully unaware that their bare bellies have started to wobble in unison clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

But it's no fun if you're trying to get to sleep so I suggest you avoid cabins toward the stern, which I think are the only cabins affected (check a deck-plan - there are only a few, along one side of one lower deck) ."

Campolady - from recollection the shimmy wasn't really any different between Spirit & Celebration.

Dave - I'm a bit dubious about a single generator being the cause. :confused:

We had to turn back to Port Sokhna one time on Spirit because a generator had gone u/s - spent a full extra day there watching cranes playing lego with containers on the other side of the dock while we waited for a spare part to arrive (big cheer for the van driver when it arrived).

When we were limping back there was reduced lighting, half the lifts not working etc, but I can't imagine that was all done on battery power.

JB :)

I think the increased aft noise and vibration, not the 'wobble' might be because Celebration has a traditional drive using a gearbox to connect the engines to the propeller shafts. I experienced a horrendous night on a Norway cruise when they engaged low gear? and my inside single cabin turned into something like the inside of a dry cement mixer!. dream might have a similar arrangement.

I might be wrong but I think the latest ships have an electric transmission with the diesel engines providing the electricity to drive electric motors connected to the propeller shafts. This allows the engines to run at optimum revolutions, no low revs and less vibration.

I remember the captain of the P&O Oceana, she had electric transmission, telling us that she had 5 engines but only needed 4 so one was always undergoing normal maintenance. He also said they don't maintain the same speed all the time but switch engines off and on to get to the destination on time. This saves fuel and runs the engines at peak efficiency

Strange never ever found a vibration in Horizons as it's the most forward bar of the ship but aft, especially on deck 6 aft wings above lido really wobbly as someone has already said but doesn't bother me Discovery 2 is worse when travelling fast into the wind - gives you heart palpitations when in bed - lots of people demanded to be moved on last cruise last week

Finding this thread interesting as we are looking at Celebration for my 60th October 2019. We have been on Spirit that also has a vibration problem - not that it bothered us; can someone tell me if it is about the same on Celebration or better/worse? Many thanks.

Campolady

I know your next cruise is the Dream,we experienced a vibration/ shimmy or whatever you want to call it a few times on her also for the first time.Deck 10 over looking main pool and also in the Medusa but less so....Seemed to be mainly in the seats in the middle of Medusa,a row of two seater tables in front of the settee type seats.

It's the same as these were identical ships before Celebration had the upgrade.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Campolady

I know your next cruise is the Dream,we experienced a vibration/ shimmy or whatever you want to call it a few times on her also for the first time.Deck 10 over looking main pool and also in the Medusa but less so....Seemed to be mainly in the seats in the middle of Medusa,a row of two seater tables in front of the settee type seats.

Thanks Jim. Don't remember it on Dream but it is 3 years since we have been on her so appreciate the information. By the way our next cruise will actually be on Spirit when we are expecting vibration (couldn't resist a real bargain price for her final sailing this week lol).

We were in the Red Sea and Celebration stopped wobbling. I was in Hemingways when it happened. One of the bartenders nearly dropped the spirit bottles he was juggling and the resident drunk at the end of the bar spilled most of his glass of scotch as he raised it to is lips. He was still compensating for the wobble ;p

The captain announced it would be OK once they had found the jump leads.

After about 20 minutes the wobble started and we all relaxed, normality restored :)

Thanks Jim. Don't remember it on Dream but it is 3 years since we have been on her so appreciate the information. By the way our next cruise will actually be on Spirit when we are expecting vibration (couldn't resist a real bargain price for her final sailing this week lol).

Oh yeah,forgot you had thrown in a cheeky wee cruise on the spirit pre The Dream :') and dont blame you

If we stayed in Malaga we,d be on the cruise as well