More Q's on Oceanview staterooms on Koningsdam

Silverback969

I have another Q, or 2, regarding the staterooms on the leading edge of Koningsdam. We booked one of those Oceanview cabins at extreme front on the Sun Deck (D1102)--talked to one of their reservation staff while we were on the road, so didn't realize until later that this room is underneath the Observation Deck, below Crows' Nest. To the best of my photo and and ship's deck plan interpretation, this room is situated under the swivel chairs and loungers in the Crow's Nest.

I know that there are some nights when there are late-night types of activities, including DJs, and so on. My question concerns NOISE LEVELS. Have you had one of these cabins, or talked with someone who has? I'm retired military, so I'm capable of sleeping in places and situations where more sensitive folk would throw up their hands and run for a sleeping pill to accompany their ear plugs and white noise machines. I have been retired for a while now and no longer have all the abilities I've had at other times in my life.

But--particularly if you have first-hand experience with these rooms, I'd love to know what your experience was.

I have another Q, or 2, regarding the staterooms on the leading edge of Koningsdam. We booked one of those Oceanview cabins at extreme front on the Sun Deck (D1102)--talked to one of their reservation staff while we were on the road, so didn't realize until later that this room is underneath the Observation Deck, below Crows' Nest. To the best of my photo and and ship's deck plan interpretation, this room is situated under the swivel chairs and loungers in the Crow's Nest.

I know that there are some nights when there are late-night types of activities, including DJs, and so on. My question concerns NOISE LEVELS. Have you had one of these cabins, or talked with someone who has? I'm retired military, so I'm capable of sleeping in places and situations where more sensitive folk would throw up their hands and run for a sleeping pill to accompany their ear plugs and white noise machines. I have been retired for a while now and no longer have all the abilities I've had at other times in my life.

But--particularly if you have first-hand experience with these rooms, I'd love to know what your experience was.

I know you're asking specifically about that location but I wanted to give you another option if that doesn't work out. We booked our first OV on the K'dam last year (we usually do a balcony). We were midship on deck 1, category C cabin. We were a bit unsure about the OV and the location but we figured we'll give it a try. We loved it!! We were shocked by how bright the room was and how large. I could stand by the window and the ocean was right there. We were underneath the shops which are on deck 2. It was very quiet. We are booked again for Thanksgiving in the same location. Hope this info helps...just in case!

Helen

I cannot answer about the cabin, but on our 10 day cruise, we did not even find the crow's nest for 4 or 5 days, and there was literally no one there before dinner (7:00 to 8:15 for us) or post dinner. It is a relatively small space. I would not be concerned about noise YMMV

HELENSPL, thank you for the info on K'dam Ocean View on deck 1. We've been in similar rooms on other ships, and usually do a Rock-Paper-Scissors for OV versus balcony. On this trip, we were just drawn to the full-forward OV, hoping we haven't shot ourselves in the foot with the under-the-Crows-Nest room selection.

KENEVENPAR, we appreciate the info about the "new" Crows Nest location and activity level. This will be our first cruise on a ship of this class. I have decidedly mixed feelings about your observations. On one hand, I've always enjoyed the Crows Nest, but have never been to any of the late evening activities there--it just doesn't take me as long to party all night as it used to. Nowadays, we can party all night, and still be "home" in bed by 10:30.

We were on K'dam last December, and to my knowledge, the Crow's Nest was never used for DJ activities. The DJ set up shop in the BB King Blues Lounge each evening after the last live show by BB orchestra. I truly don't think you'll have any noise in the evening in this location as the Crow's Nest isn't what it used to be, especially on the newer ships like the K. I hope this helps.

Have a wonderful cruise. She is a lovely ship, except for the walking space on Promenade Deck, which is tight with restricted views in most places.

ShowerDancer and Nomad: Thanks to both of you for your response and information. On the one hand, I'm gonna have to come to grips with the "loss" of the traditional Crows Nest as a gathering place for small groups, and "studio" for afternoon dance lessons. On the other hand, it will offer new and different ways to "explore" our upcoming ports of call.

In reading through these various threads on "happenings" in the HAL fleet, I have to say that I'm not too happy about some of them. The traditional Crows Nest is one; implementation of the Lido "Market" is another. I'm sure there's some kind of rhyme and reason about the locations of some food selections, but they completely elude me. Absence of shuffleboard courts is another irritant. The traditional shuffleboard court was a nice place to meet new people, as well as pass an hour or two on a sea day.

Again, thanks, all, for your responses. Beginning to feel a little less conflicted about our room location. I'll try to remember to check in after we return home, and let folks in on my observations.

I agree with you Silverback; not thrilled about the changes to the Crow's Nest. When we booked this cabin it was partly due to proximity of what I thought would be a quiet gathering place which trumped my concerns about the ship's motion that high up and so far aft. Oh well, I am sure will all have a wonderful time!:D

Nice cabin but a long haul to the mess hall. Looking at the deck plan shows a shuffleboard layout on your deck, midship, port side.

Without having actually MADE the hike to the rear of the ship (and all the various "troughs" back there)--and without having actually SEEN the ship, I'm gonna say that the distance won't be that big a deal. Maybe famous last words, there. Also looking forward to a couple games of shuffleboard. On our last couple of cruises, the shuffleboard courts have been either non-existent, or in such bad shape that they weren't usable. I dunno--if HAL could hang a $.25 coin change accepter back there, to dispense the pucks, maybe they'd maintain the equipment for that classic cruise pastime a little better.

Edited by Silverback969
More readable content

I agree with you Silverback; not thrilled about the changes to the Crow's Nest. When we booked this cabin it was partly due to proximity of what I thought would be a quiet gathering place which trumped my concerns about the ship's motion that high up and so far aft. Oh well, I am sure will all have a wonderful time!:D

We always look forward to a new-to-us ship, almost as much as we enjoy re-acquainting ourselves with the old friends that we've sailed on before. Both my wife and I are usually pretty good about finding something good about every ship we've ever cruised on (We've had to look pretty hard to find good things about some of HAL's competitors--"Boy, they'd have a helluva view up that high, don'cha think??? I'll bet they have REALLY EFFICIENT check-in folks for embarkation, too, to move that many people from the dock onto the ship. Ya know, that's more than the population of the town where I grew up!" Which is why we haven't cruised on another line in a L-O-O-O-N-G time.

We don't applaud the arrival of the newer, always more, always-bigger ships as some others do, because we are just small-ship kinda people. The first ships we cruised with--early '90s--all carried fewer than 850 passengers. The Cruise Director and Assistant CD were part of the ship's entertainment--the CD was a very accomplished magician, the ACD was an equally accomplished ventriloquist. The on-board entertainers--the singers and dancers--were also part of the ship's day-to-day activities: the singers and dancers hosted sea-horse races (I've never been able to figure that game out) and bingo; one of them conducted morning exercises; they led the pool-side games and Trivia. And we got to know each other as people.

Last year, we were on Prinsendam's 56-day Grand Mediterranean, and--at least for my wife and me--the folks in the Customer Service office were the closest to that kind of atmosphere that we'd seen anywhere on HAL in a very long time. I look for any of them every time we embark on another of HAL's marvelous ships.

• 6 months later...