Local Currency

JimandLouise

Hi,

Can any of you let me know if we will need local currency on the Islands or will US $'s be accepted for the tourist market.

We're not really planning on spending a great deal, just if we want a snack or a soft drink.

If you'll need local currency, do they change it on the ship? Do they usually have enough to make sure that everyone who wants to can change some cash?

Thanks,

Jim

You can change your money on the ship. We also did at one of the resorts. I have read that the exchange rate on the ship is good. You will probably need some xpf, lots of places take USD, and Visa can be used in lots of the larger stores and restaurants.

A few places that definitely require CPF are "Le Truck" (the local bus system) and luggage carts at the Papeete airport (100 CPF coin for the cart). The ship is fine for exchanging a small amount. The one resort where I was aware of exchange was a very poor rate.

Hi, Jim & Louise,

Just add another zero to Kathy's airport cart price. It is $1.00 in XPF. I did not have a coin so a young girl passing by just pulled out a coin and gave it to me. I insisted that she take my dollar bill. Tahitians are so nice and will help you out. :D

Credit cards are not the best rate. The ship's exchange rate (on 4 September) was 1 to 1 (1000 xpf = $1). When we disembarked, it was down to 994 = $1. I bought another $300 worth because we had 3 more days on Moorea and Papeete. When purchasing on the docks, you will get a better deal if you have xpf with you but they will take dollars.

Exchange currency on the ship. It's the best deal. :cool:

Hi Jim and Louise,

I too would suggest exchanging on the ship. They have the best exchange rates. We stayed in Moorea after the cruise and the hotel was charged to our visa...what a surprise. I would even pay the hotel bill in Francs if I could do it again. Some people got a 50% exchange on their money at the airport cafeteria since they only has US dollars so I would always use the Francs and keep enough on hand for everything. THe credit cards weren't accepted everywhere and the exchange rates were HORRIBLE!!!!! I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE MY VISA BILL. Just thought you'd like to know

just got back 2days ago. a previous thread was wrong about 1000= $1. it was 100fp=$1. as of 2days ago the rate was even worse the airport where we cashed $300 in trav chks was giving 90francs for$1 with a $4 service charge. the ship was giving 91francs for $1 with no service charge. there was

never a problem changing money of any amount on ship. i would recomend changing money because anthing you buy for us$ you will not get this rate from hotels shops or restauants. taxis will most likely give you a good rate.

hal

Just got back from Tahiti yesterday and every place I went - Pharmacy, Cabs, Stores, Mom and Pop shops - all take US Dollars and give back change in FP. I was originally using the automated exchange machines which can be found at all the local banks and they were giving a rate of about .982fp to $1 and then taking a 20% comission on top.

Everyone who took my US $ gave change at a rate of 100fp to $1 US.

Archived