Santorini: is there a public bus?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Greece Ports
Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:44 PM.
21,978 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Additionally there is an option to take a boat from the tendering point below Fira over to Oia, with an included return by bus from Oia to Fira.

All of these options are pretty regularly discussed on this board if you want more info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
Lee-on-the-Solent, England
12,577 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
A concern with taking the bus is whether there'll be room on the buses from Oia back to Fira.
Word was (is?) that you can be seriously delayed by lines waiting for buses.
The ticket for ferry/speedboat/call-it-what-you-will from the tender jetty to Oia includes a short bus hop up the steep hill from the little harbour to Oia village, but I've read from a number of contributors that for the past couple of years it has not included the bus back to Fira.
All second-hand information but worth digging deeper.

Safest bet is to take a van "tour". In this instance "tour" means little more than a two-way transfer - you're dropped in Oia and collected 90? 120? minutes later & taken back to Fira (IIRC on the way back we had a 10/15 minute stop by the iconic blue domes).
You can buy your tickets for the next available "tour" from bars & other outlets in Fira.
I don't recall the cost - more than local buses of course but it wasn't expensive.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)