Bathroom access while on tour

zitsky

While on my river cruises I didn't really have a problem finding a bathroom. There was usually a stop on the tour to use the facilities. Many of the buses had a bathroom which was unlocked except in Germany, I think. Are the Ocean tours the same? Do buses have unlocked bathrooms or do you have one or two stops to use one?

I am looking at the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise, if that makes a difference.

We have done two ocean cruises and some river trips as well and the guides are just as accommodating on the oceans as they were on the rivers. There was always some time built into the tour to use facilities or they were very good at noting where facilities were available during free time. Many of the busses used had bathrooms as well and the guide will generally note if they are available for use.

I find it's always a good idea to use the facilities when they are available and it's always okay to ask too!

Viking Oceans contracts out its shorex to local firms. Therefore, you cannot depend on their being toilets on the buses. I was on the same cruise as molymoo this past New Years. We did a handful of tours with Viking and most of the buses did not have toilets on-board. Maybe this had a lot to do with the fact that we were signed up for half day tours most of the time. However, the guides are always very good at providing bathroom breaks.

Molymoo and Peregrina have shared a lot of good information...we were also onboard at the same time as they were and timely bathroom breaks were especially important to my parents. I would just like to add a few things...in the instances where the buses that we were on were equipped with a toilet, there was no announcement made by either the guide or the driver indicating the availability of the facility, they did not appear to be used by anyone on the bus...Most guides did a good job of communicating when the bathroom breaks were scheduled and identifying where the facilities could be found. There was only one instance where this didn't happen...we were in Cagliari on Christmas Day, our guide didn't seem to consider that a bathroom break would be needed (until people basically abandoned the tour in favour of said break); this coupled with the fact that everywhere was closed, led to us spending a ton of time at the only place that appeared to be open in the city, which happened to have 1 functional bathroom. I believe that on almost any other day of the year the guide failing to plan for a bathroom would not have been an issue as we could have just popped into a cafe or restaurant ordered a coffee, etc. and used the facilities.