Food allergies - how long after emailing did you hear back?

I emailed the special needs department to verify that my reservation for the July 1, 2018 Jewel of the Seas saying is marked as gluten-free almost 2 weeks ago. I immediately got the "We have received this and will respond in the order that it was received" response but have heard nothing since then. Is this a normal delay for RCCL or should I send them another email? (Mainly wondering if it got lost in all the "site merge" chaos.)

I called when I was on Brilliance a couple of years ago because I was diagnosed with the wheat allergy only 3 weeks before sailing, so I don't know what the normal lag time is.

Normally the mess this up, so I would speak to the Matre de on the first day when boarding and explain your dietary requirements. The menus will be changed, amended or highlight what you can eat or not.

Yeah, when I was on Brilliance I double checked that it was on my reservation (it was) and had no issues... Well, until they started running out of bread because more people were eating gluten-free than had let them know (I was assured that my calling made me NOT one of them) but they were able to restock a bit in Venice. I just don't want to be one of "those people" who "didn't tell them" until on board.

Maybe I'll call and double check.

Yes, definitely send about 3 weeks before sailing. if don't hear back, again at 2 weeks. Only once didn't hear back by then and after sent each of the next 2 days until they responded. Usually they are on it though and respond after first e-mail...

Yes, definitely send about 3 weeks before sailing. if don't hear back, again at 2 weeks. Only once didn't hear back by then and after sent each of the next 2 days until they responded. Usually they are on it though and respond after first e-mail...

Thanks! I ended up calling the C&A number. I'll give it another week in case I hear from the Special Needs department and then send it again just to make sure. I know they usually have stuff...but I'd rather they know so they can adequately prepare.

I have serious food allergies. My suggestion is do not bother trying to arrange anything ahead of time. It can not be trusted. Just simply go see the Maitre d on the first day. They usually are available after 2:00 PM. They will handle it. They will give you the menu for the first night on the spot and you will place your order. Each night at the end of your meal, the waiter will give you the menu for the next day. You will order and your meal will be specially prepared each day. My suggestion is don't bother worrying about it until you get on the ship.

I have serious food allergies. My suggestion is do not bother trying to arrange anything ahead of time. It can not be trusted. Just simply go see the Maitre d on the first day. They usually are available after 2:00 PM. They will handle it. They will give you the menu for the first night on the spot and you will place your order. Each night at the end of your meal, the waiter will give you the menu for the next day. You will order and your meal will be specially prepared each day. My suggestion is don't bother worrying about it until you get on the ship.

Thank you.

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is I know from experience that they stock things like gluten-free bread based on those who have reported it plus a small percentage. Two summers ago, there were a lot more people eating gluten-free on the 12-night Brilliance cruise I was on than they had ordered for, even with the extra cushion. As a result, they began running out of some things (all of this information per my head waiter the day that the bread was different and nasty). We were fortunately overnighting in Venice, and they have a supplier there as they have some cruises out of there and were able to restock things to finish out the cruise. So it can be a big deal for them to have a more accurate count.

Thank you.

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is I know from experience that they stock things like gluten-free bread based on those who have reported it plus a small percentage. Two summers ago, there were a lot more people eating gluten-free on the 12-night Brilliance cruise I was on than they had ordered for, even with the extra cushion. As a result, they began running out of some things (all of this information per my head waiter the day that the bread was different and nasty). We were fortunately overnighting in Venice, and they have a supplier there as they have some cruises out of there and were able to restock things to finish out the cruise. So it can be a big deal for them to have a more accurate count.

This is interesting to know, I was underwhelmed with the response I got last year when I emailed about my daugther having celiac, I got a canned set of answers, I had no idea they also used my email as a way to order gluten free food.

I want to add, on Grandeur, they all looked at me like I had 5 heads when I asked about the whole "menu for the next night" system, we ordered when we got to dinner and didn't need to pre-order.

Thank you.

Good point! I only have to make sure they do not put certain things in my food. I never thought about making sure there is enough food on board of things that I can eat. Worst case I will live on soft serve for a week!

This is interesting to know, I was underwhelmed with the response I got last year when I emailed about my daugther having celiac, I got a canned set of answers, I had no idea they also used my email as a way to order gluten free food.

I want to add, on Grandeur, they all looked at me like I had 5 heads when I asked about the whole "menu for the next night" system, we ordered when we got to dinner and didn't need to pre-order.

Yeah. They look at how many people who have "gluten-free" noted on the reservations, add a small percent of that number to it, and order gluten-free bread and flour and such based on that number. Usually it works out, but if there is a higher number of people who end up saying they are gluten-free once on board, they can start running short.

Good to know. There was one night on Brilliance where I had to order the night of because the chef changed the menus and what I'd ordered wasn't on the new one. There's a not so great report from Jewel that popped up today that has me a little worried. But I figure I'll pack some Luna bars or some of my Weight Watchers Protein Stix and live on those if push comes to shove. (And then send a polite but firm email expressing my disappointment...and happily cruise with Disney from now on. :) )

Yeah. They look at how many people who have "gluten-free" noted on the reservations, add a small percent of that number to it, and order gluten-free bread and flour and such based on that number. Usually it works out, but if there is a higher number of people who end up saying they are gluten-free once on board, they can start running short.

Good to know. There was one night on Brilliance where I had to order the night of because the chef changed the menus and what I'd ordered wasn't on the new one. There's a not so great report from Jewel that popped up today that has me a little worried. But I figure I'll pack some Luna bars or some of my Weight Watchers Protein Stix and live on those if push comes to shove. (And then send a polite but firm email expressing my disappointment...and happily cruise with Disney from now on. :) )

I was annoyed last year that they put Udi's cookies out one morning at Windjammer in a little area labeled "gluten free", everyone was grabbing them and putting them in their purse, I'm guessing because they were pre-packaged and good for snacking but the WJ staff had been handing them to my daughter when delivering her lunch and I was paranoid they would run out. Luckily, I never saw them set up like that again :)

I was annoyed last year that they put Udi's cookies out one morning at Windjammer in a little area labeled "gluten free", everyone was grabbing them and putting them in their purse, I'm guessing because they were pre-packaged and good for snacking but the WJ staff had been handing them to my daughter when delivering her lunch and I was paranoid they would run out. Luckily, I never saw them set up like that again :)

Wow! I would have said something immediately!!

I did say something one morning when some boys who obviously COULD eat gluten based on the pastries and biscuits and such all over their plates were at the gluten-free area (apparently our bacon looked better or something) and knocked one of their biscuits into the bacon, then grabbed the biscuit and left. The chef immediately pulled that tray as soon as I said something and they brought out new bacon. Someone could easily have been glutened from that bacon and not known why.

I do wish that area was a little more out of the way so that those who can eat gluten aren't as tempted by it. Those of us who must eat gluten-free have limited enough choices as it is without them possibly running out of stuff because others are eating it.

I emailed the special needs department to verify that my reservation for the July 1, 2018 Jewel of the Seas saying is marked as gluten-free almost 2 weeks ago. I immediately got the "We have received this and will respond in the order that it was received" response but have heard nothing since then. Is this a normal delay for RCCL or should I send them another email? (Mainly wondering if it got lost in all the "site merge" chaos.)

I called when I was on Brilliance a couple of years ago because I was diagnosed with the wheat allergy only 3 weeks before sailing, so I don't know what the normal lag time is.

Our family has several serious food allergies. First I call the C & A number to have them put it on our reservation. I take that with us. Then I call the Special Needs Department. Their number is 1-866-592-7225. They are only open during the week. When we get on board, I ask to speak to the WJ Executive Chef or the WJ Executive Sous Chef. They are fantastic in putting it in the system. If we want to have a meal in one of the speciality restaurants, we talk to them before heading to the dining room. After lunch, I go to the main dining room to speak to the manager. I remind them our food allergies are in their system. The chefs seem to appreciate knowing our needs and our likes. They go out of their way to make sure they avoid serving us foods we can’t eat. Also, the chefs seem to enjoy creating special meals for us. We let the HD, the GSM, and the Concierges know who helped us. On our survey we list the chefs who have helped us. If you are a Diamond member or higher, you can email the DL/SL Concierges to let them know the allergies. They are happy to relay the allergies to the various food venues. We have to do similar things when we eat out anywhere.

WrittenOnYourHeart

Where is that review about the Jewel you mentioned. Would like to read. Gluten is only one of my allergy issues and need to compare and get management tricks ready before boarding ship. Gluten may be one of the easier ones for to manage on ship if I take notes since RCCL already tries to deal with it.

WrittenOnYourHeart

Where is that review about the Jewel you mentioned. Would like to read. Gluten is only one of my allergy issues and need to compare and get management tricks ready before boarding ship. Gluten may be one of the easier ones for to manage on ship if I take notes since RCCL already tries to deal with it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613618

I will say that it is very much opposite to what I found on Brilliance of the Seas 2 years ago where they were more than willing to adapt things that could be adapted. There are some dishes that simply cannot be, and that is just a fact of life that we have to live with. I'm hoping to discover that there were other factors at play here - like perhaps giving up on asking after being told no for something that could not be (I don't know the specifics, but he said she "asked for a chicken dish to be modified" and I do know there are some that cannot be) or being picky... I know I would not have put up with "two scoops of mashed potatoes with our gravy every night" without having a long discussion with the head server about the situation.

It usually takes a few weeks for Special Needs to get back to me (both around disability issues and my Celiac disease, to which I get a generic letter about offerings everywhere, but I totally agree it helps them with their head count, and ships with higher numbers of folks have a special GF area in the WJ). That said, also check in with the Matre' D as people have said...and then with your head waiter, and main waiter. My time last year on Liberty was so so (I didn't get glutened, but I pretty much had salad and a baked dish with squash, cheese, and tomato sauce every night). However, our Feb trip on Enchantment was awesome - I also didn't get sick, and they adapted so many tasty things, and made a few custom items. The more I go, the more I learned to ask for what I want because it makes it easier than me trying to be helpful by just saying to give me whatever is GF (since they have to specially prepare it in a special area anyways due to cross contamination). And also to remember that often special needs info doesn't always make it to the ship. Good luck!