Charter Music Cruises selling out

Chyna3032

Just about the only negative comments I heard from our fellow cruisers was about the ship (Celebrity Summit). Most of the veteran SJC'ers felt that the ship, food, and service, did not measure up to what they had experienced on HAL's Eurodam. I had to admit (having sailed on her three times now) that Summit has not been kept up as well as she should have been ...
Thanks for these observations. Did you get any sense of whether the regulars thought that things had improved since last year? We were very disappointed with the ship and the cruise experience, and we know we weren't alone. ECP did say that they were working with Celebrity to improve things, but it sounds like it still isn't up to the standard that the regulars expect. It would be interesting to know if anyone thought that there had at least been some improvement.

Thanks for these observations. Did you get any sense of whether the regulars thought that things had improved since last year? We were very disappointed with the ship and the cruise experience, and we know we weren't alone. ECP did say that they were working with Celebrity to improve things, but it sounds like it still isn't up to the standard that the regulars expect. It would be interesting to know if anyone thought that there had at least been some improvement.

Globaliser, you bring up a very good point. Although this was our first jazz cruise charter, it was the third time my DH and I have sailed on Summit. It was our observation that Summit has 'slipped' a little, in the three years since our last cruise. Although she has had one dry-dock, during that time period -- it appears that the only 'upgrade' was to replace the classic Normandie specialty restaurant with the more popular Tuscan Grille. It does not appear that any of the 'soft-goods' were replaced or spruced-up, at all. Summit is one of my favorite ships, but, IMHO, she's starting to look a little dated and run-down. We've also noticed service cut-backs. The cabins all used to be serviced by a team of room stewards. Now, it's just one, working without an assistant -- and they are running, all the time! Even the suite butlers that we saw appeared to be doing a lot more in the way of routine tasking (e.g.: bussing dishes from the suites). Here again, this is just my opinion: X has some really good people, but they are spreading them WAY too thin!

OK -- so, back to your main question, Globaliser. Sadly, I did not hear my fellow jazz-cruisers say that they saw any improvement in the ship/food/service between last year and this cruise. Pretty much, to a man/woman, their opinion was that ECP should go back to HAL. Apparently, the only complaint that the jazz-cruisers had about the Eurodam was that her performance spaces were too small and hard to get into and out of. Now, that is one area where Summit got high marks, both from the passengers and performers that I spoke to. They liked her music venues, large and small -- as well as the ergonomic passenger "flow". Neither DH nor I have ever sailed on HAL, but I do know that the Eurodam is a newer ship than Summit -- so, it makes sense that she would be in better condition.

As to next year's Smooth Jazz cruise, it will be on Celebrity Infinity. She is pretty much Summit's twin sister. That's why ECP was able to offer folks the same cabin as this year -- Summit and Infinity have pretty much identical deck plans. Since they are the same age/class of ship, I would expect Infinity to be in pretty much the same shape as Summit. I would like to see ECP and X work on the MDR situation, before next year's cruises. Having 'open' seating in the MDR, instead of set dining times was chaotic, at best. I guess next year, we'll just try to pick a time to dine in the 'reserved' section of the MDR, and make that work with our show-times.

Whoops -- sorry to get so long-winded. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, this turned into a full-blown review! :o;)

maybe ECP could leverage Celebrity to give them an inducement to charter on either the Equinox or the brand new Edge (coming into the fleet Dec 2018) or risk losing the business to a competitor...I suspect because the Summit & Infinity are older (2001) and lack many of the bells and whistles, ECP receives a favorable charter rate...ECP attracts a very desirable (high yield) and loyal demographic that should appeal to Celebrity, but ECP dares not to risk a price increase (due to upgrading a charter) which they would pass on to their guests or cut into their profit margin..it will be very interesting when Richard Branson & his Virgin Brand enters the cruise fray in the next few years with brand new ships designed to capitalize on the synergy of Virgin's entertainment empire..I remember being on NCL Norway (S.S. France) in the 80's on the Jazz Cruise which had both challenges and opportunities for ECP

Sadly, I did not hear my fellow jazz-cruisers say that they saw any improvement in the ship/food/service between last year and this cruise. Pretty much, to a man/woman, their opinion was that ECP should go back to HAL. Apparently, the only complaint that the jazz-cruisers had about the Eurodam was that her performance spaces were too small and hard to get into and out of. Now, that is one area where Summit got high marks, both from the passengers and performers that I spoke to. They liked her music venues, large and small -- as well as the ergonomic passenger "flow". Neither DH nor I have ever sailed on HAL, but I do know that the Eurodam is a newer ship than Summit -- so, it makes sense that she would be in better condition.
Thank you so much, wwcruisers! That's very useful and interesting to hear.

Most of Summit's performance spaces were undoubtedly much better than the corresponding spaces on Eurodam. But we thought that that was probably about the only positive about moving from HAL to Celebrity. Where there were other differences, pretty much everything else was worse on Celebrity. Many of the things didn't relate to the condition of the ship, but things which could be fixed by specification or willingness: after a year, one of the things that still stands out in my memory was going to the buffet for dinner (because the MDR had exhausted our patience) and being offered a "gourmet entree" that was basically mini hamburgers in gravy.

I will have to ask friends who did go this year what they thought, too. We can't go again until 2020 at the earliest, and only if ECP doesn't conjure up yet another date clash. It will be interesting to see how things develop - although one thing that is pretty much guaranteed on all the ECP cruises is that the music will be first-rate.

- although one thing that is pretty much guaranteed on all the ECP cruises is that the music will be first-rate.

Amen to that! In retrospect, I'm AMAZED at what a good value this 7-night cruise was.:cool: When you get right down to it, we averaged TWO full-length concerts, per day! And, that's not even counting all of the shorter shows, in the smaller venues.Just think about what you spend on one land-based concert, these days! :eek:

hmmmmm..:cool:good value:cool:where have I heard that phrase before ?:halo: post # 5 :halo:...lol...when you count in the lagniappe (artists sitting in with other artists during the shows, midnight all star jam sessions, running into your favorite artists around the ship and on the islands, artists Q & A sessions, photo ops and CD signings, CD release listening parties etc) it's an even greater value..if you are not a subscriber already, I strongly suggest you invest in a subscription to Smooth Jazz News so you can stay current with your favorite Smooth Jazz artists and sign up on each artist's website to receive their newsletter and advance notice for their upcoming CD's and possible concerts in your area..your DH would never forgive you if Keiko was performing in your area and you didn't know it...lol

you are very welcomed:halo:...when you least expect it, on a Sunday when you are driving home after Church on the radio will be a song played by one of the artist on your charter and your mind will trigger pleasant memories of that week and at the same time nourish your patience until next year..cruising will just not be the same again..there is something about the combination of immersion in the music that you love, with fellow cruisers who share the same passion on a cruise ship that is magical

I am planning a birthday music road trip from New Orleans to Nashville via Memphis late this summer on Old Highway 61 (Blues Alley) using the 1939 Negro Motorist Green Book as a guide to plug into my navigation system in my new VW Bug..my Son teases me that I am having a 50th Anniversary Flashback of attending Woodstock in my 61 VW Bug:D..looking forward to visiting the iconic music venues (jazz, blues, blue grass, soul and yes even Elvis) at night and the Civil Rights Museums and landmarks during the day

I have found that in these terrible turbulent times, the love of the music & artists is a common bond that brings fans from all backgrounds together and overcomes what divides us..I would suspect on your SJC you found that to be valid

Hattack -- Just wanted to remind your that next year's SJC is still booking, if you're interested! We just made our down-payment for 19.2, so it's starting to get real -- less than a year to go!:cool:

And, you are SO right about the whole 'vibe' of the cruise. Aside from a few well-timed political jokes by Alonzo (who is just hilarious) -- I didn't hear politics mentioned ONCE, in that whole week. Everyone you meet talks about the music, the artists, past cruises, and the ship -- and, they LOVE jazz-cruise 'newbies'. Total strangers would see you searching for a seat for one of the late night shows, and insist that you join them. Folks would gladly hold your place in line, so you could run back to your room to retrieve something. Passersby would volunteer to take your photo with the performer that you just happened to run into, in the buffet. So much positive energy, that I just wanted to bottle it, and bring it home with me! :halo:

Your summer music 'land-cruise' sounds amazing! Having grown up in Memphis, I cannot imagine living anywhere that didn't have a vibrant music scene! Fortunately, I got to spend many years in SoCal, and then relocated to the Seattle area. You will certainly be covering a lot of historical ground, on your musical road-trip!

PS -- One of our great artist 'discoveries' on this cruise was from New Orleans: trumpeter Patches Stewart. He mostly played (along with Eric Marienthal) in the 'house' band. But, one night we were lucky enough to catch his solo gig, in the Rendezvous Lounge! I'm listening to his CD, "Blow', even as I type this...:cool:

glad you discovered New Orleans born and raised "Patches"..you may want to check out Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue (if you have not already) who IMHO represents the next wave of great New Orleans Jazz Musicians who combine traditional New Orleans Jazz with a combination of other styles..he closes out the NO Jazz & Heritage Festival every year in front of a SRO crowd

thanks for reminding me about next year's SJC..my recent health challenge has caused me to reevaluate how I allocate my limited discretionary vacation $$$..I have been cruising since 1975 and Jazz Cruising since 2002 so I want to do other music experiences while I can still travel without physical limitations, so I made a "music adventure bucket list" that incorporates a major international Jazz Festival, a legendary train ride, a different form of cruising and visiting friends that I have not seen in years...top of my wish list, South Africa for 2020...so unless I hit the Lottery, or meet a very rich female travelling companion who shares my love of Smooth Jazz, I will count on you to enjoy the 2019 SJC for the both of us

I had forgotten you are from Memphis, so as my road trip gets closer I may call on your expertise..I'm trying to figure out how to do a side trip from Nashville to Kansas City ( probably fly Southwest) to visit the American Jazz Museum & the Negro League Baseball Museum and take in a midweek series between the NY Yankees and KC Royals..my Grandson has :halo:volunteered :halo: to program a road trip soundtrack in the "Cloud" for the Fender Premium Sound System in my Bug which will synch with the music venues that I hope to visit along with the music I listen to at Woodstock in 69..I had to chuckle because I remember my Dad purchased a $39 Radio Shack "sound system" for my 61 Bug in 68...big difference over 50 years

if you ever want to be reminded of the positive "vibe" on your SJC, compare it to the topics on CC's Celebrity threads Board..it is almost contrapositive in the overall cruising experience ..Alonzo is insane...did he mention he use to be an aircraft mechanic

Sadly, Hattack, I haven't been back to Memphis in many years -- so, most of what I know about it would fall under 'historical content', lol! However, I have it on good authority that the Rendezvous is still open downtown, and STILL serves the best dry-rub pork ribs in the world! So, if your musical pilgrimage takes you to Beale St. -- be sure to hit the Rendezvous for lunch or dinner. :D

So sorry to hear that you won't be joining us for the 2019 SJC -- but, it's probably a 'been there, done that' situation, for you. I DO think that this experience has ruined me for 'regular' cruising, lol! One of my big complaints about Celebrity, in the past few years, has been the rapidly diminishing live music, onboard. They've gone more and more with canned music and DJ's -- as opposed to live Jazz bands, piano players, and string quartets. And while I'll admit that, there is a time and place for all music forms -- I DON'T want to listen to the recorded 'thump-thump-thump' of canned techno music, while I'm trying to eat breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe! On the SJC, even the 'canned music' was cool -- Sirius FM "Watercolors", featuring (you guessed it) our onboard musical hosts! :cool:

thanks for the tip on ribs in Memphis..I will add it to my list..I was chatting with an old Jazz cruising friend this past weekend and she was ;psuggesting;p that she would love to cruise on Royal Caribbean's newest mega-ship the Symphony of the Seas (6000+ guests)..prior to starting to do Jazz full charters in 2002 I might have considered it but now it is not even on my radar..I went to the Royal Caribbean website and did a virtual tour of all the bells and whistles on the SOTS (that my Grandson would love) but like yourself I have become spoiled to the rhythm of the Jazz charter total immersion into the music and the artists and renewing yearly the friendships that are formed..you will find that next year the friends you made this year will sit in the same spots that they were this year when they invited you to join them..besides on a "regular" cruise the ship "dies" after 11 pm, on the SJC cruise that's when the ship comes alive

LOL, Hattack -- Celebrity is especially notorious for 'rolling up the sidewalks' after 11pm. The crew just didn't know what to do, with all of us up so late. In the morning, our hallway was one long row of "do not disturb" signs -- our poor room steward didn't know WHEN to service our cabins! :eek:

And yeah, the mega-ships have NO appeal for me, either. I actually LOVE the Millie-Class ships on X (the ones being chartered for SJC's) and, their Royal Caribbean sisters: Radiance Class. :cool:

I concur especially on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas..one of the advantages of the SJC using the same cruise line and class of vessel year over year is that the dining, bar and cabin staff study the daily schedule process times closely and compile cycle movement patterns (based on the concert schedule) and dining entrée choices of their guest and "quirks" (room service, medical needs etc) and how much and what brand of liquor to overstock & store the data in their computers because they know at least 80% of the SJC guests return every year and in most cases stay in the same cabin/deck..they know to staff up their late night pizza station ..another tip, next year on the Infinity on departure day when you arrive at your cabin, seek out your cabin steward and when you introduce yourself inquire if he/she has a favorite artist that is performing during the week (you would be surprise how many of the crew are avid Smooth Jazz fans)..purchase a CD and have the artist sign the CD for your cabin steward ( or dining staff if you sit in the same area most evenings) and then on the next to last night of your cruise leave it with a nice note for providing great service just before you leave for dinner on top of your ice chest or bathroom sink/counter...since you have already prepaid your tip this is lagniappe..if the SJC uses the Infinity on future SJC and you stay in the same cabin/general area, chances are you will have the same cabin steward and they will remember you

one year my friends were on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas..before they hit their first port of call the ship had totally ran out of a particular brand of alcohol (very high end), that they did not have stock in their distribution storage area in the port, so Royal Caribbean had to fly in enough cases to get the FOS thru the balance of the cruise..Royal Caribbean never made that same mistake for future Fantastic Voyages and when Tom switched to Carnival they already knew

based upon service challenges that occurred on the Summit this year, Celebrity will adjust and you should see a massive improvement on the Infinity next year..by nature Smooth Jazz cruisers are pretty mellow and laid back (something about the mixture of Smooth Jazz and smooth seas) and the dining/cabin/deck crews love the break in their routine from a normal cruise

fyi, did you know that Brian Culbertson's Color of Love tour is in Salem on 6/13 and Seattle 6/14-6/17

• 3 months later...

Well, it's official! For a few weeks now, both of the 2019 Smooth Jazz Cruise sailings (Feb. 2 & Feb 23) are booked up! So, if you want to see Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin (or any of the myriad other FABULOUS artists) playing on the same stage -- you'll need to get on the waiting list! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thanks for the info, Globaliser! The last thing I heard from the Smooth Jazz folks was an offer to comp us the purchase price of Marcus Miller's new CD (Laid Black), in the form of OBC on our 2019 sailing. That was too good an offer to pass up! In addition to many of the regular SJC performers, Marcus features Trombone Shorty, on one of the tracks. I look forward to this week of superb music, all year. I can hardly wait to see who's in the 2020 line-up! :cool:</p><br>

Just finished reading every post in this thread. What a great time. (Sometimes it was like eavesdropping on a private conversation between Hattack & wwcruisers.) Hattack sounds like a music encyclopedia and for a music guy like me and former record store owner (remember those) it brought back memories. What drew me to the thread is I am writing a book called The Joy of Cruising, which is about passion for cruising. The book has a section on theme cruising which is the ultimate blending of passions: cruising and whatever the theme of the cruise is—in your case music. I learned a lot reading your posts. Wish CC had a message function.

Newbie here:D:D. I just received my email invite to be on the look out to make my first ever booking for SJC 2020.

And how did I not know about this given that I have been going to jazz festivals since I was a child thanks to my folks and I love cruising. Great music, especially jazz, was what I was raised on. This would be an amazing experience that I would love to share with my mom (Dad's gone). My only issue is that I have a cruise booked the Dec right before and not sure I can swing both. I would at least like to book a verandah although OV is slightly more budget friendly:D. I like the higher floors in the middle on most of my cruises. Decisions. Decisions. The info here has been appreciated.

Hey there, Dees! :) I'm a die-hard balcony person -- but, lots of folks on the SJC actually prefer inside cabins. For one thing, you won't be spending much time in your room -- and, inside cabins are reportedly great for 'sleeping-in' (which happens a LOT on a jazz cruise!

We've been on Infinity before -- so, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them (or at least try)!

Hi WWCruiser. Thanks for the welcome and offer of information. Much appreciated.

I put my deposit down on the pre-sale list today. Definitely going and I am so excited. Mom is too. I'm hoping I can secure a cabin on Vista deck but I don't know the hiearchy when it comes to getting the cabin you want against the perk of being a past guest. Any insight on the experience and the ship that a newbie needs to know would be most hopeful. We aren't new to cruising just SJC and Celebrity.

Well, Dees -- if you are looking for a good cabin on deck 6 (I think that's Vista) -- there is a little known bank of rooms on Infinity, that are unofficially known as the "Sweet 16's". They are 8 balcony cabins (port and starboard) in the forward section of Deck 6 (only). They each have extra-deep balconies, due to the fact that they are located directly over the Theater. If you pull up a copy of Infinity's Deck plans (available on X's website), the cabin numbers are: 6016-6030 (starboard), and 6021-6035 (port). They are a little forward, but not a long walk from most of the performance venues. The best part is -- they are among the cheapest (2C) veranda cabins. And, since even most travel agents don't know about them, they are a well-kept secret! You might actually be able to snag one, from your place on the pre-sale list.

Last year, we (like you) were 'newbies' to the SJC -- but, experienced cruisers. Best part -- we had several cruises on Summit (last year's SJC ship). Infinity is Summit's exact twin -- both being part of X's 'Millennium Class' of ships. So, when we joined the 'newbie' pre-sale queue, we pulled out our deck plans, and had a list of desirable cabins, ready to go, on booking day. It was a long shot, but we managed to book our favorite "Sweet Sixteen" cabin, on the first try!

And yes, previous cruisers -- and folks who are currently booked on next year's cruise (19.1 & 19.2 ) will have the first crack at cabins available on the 2020 SJC. But, as soon as those folks are booked -- they will open things up to the folks who have pre-sale deposits. After that -- I think anything left is opened to the general public. So, being on the pre-sale list DOES help you, when it comes to booking.

OK -- so, that's probably more than you EVER wanted to know, LOL. Hope it helped!;)

Well, Dees -- if you are looking for a good cabin on deck 6 (I think that's Vista) -- there is a little known bank of rooms on Infinity, that are unofficially known as the "Sweet 16's". They are 8 balcony cabins (port and starboard) in the forward section of Deck 6 (only). They each have extra-deep balconies, due to the fact that they are located directly over the Theater. If you pull up a copy of Infinity's Deck plans (available on X's website), the cabin numbers are: 6016-6030 (starboard), and 6021-6035 (port). They are a little forward, but not a long walk from most of the performance venues. The best part is -- they are among the cheapest (2C) veranda cabins. And, since even most travel agents don't know about them, they are a well-kept secret! You might actually be able to snag one, from your place on the pre-sale list.

Last year, we (like you) were 'newbies' to the SJC -- but, experienced cruisers. Best part -- we had several cruises on Summit (last year's SJC ship). Infinity is Summit's exact twin -- both being part of X's 'Millennium Class' of ships. So, when we joined the 'newbie' pre-sale queue, we pulled out our deck plans, and had a list of desirable cabins, ready to go, on booking day. It was a long shot, but we managed to book our favorite "Sweet Sixteen" cabin, on the first try!

And yes, previous cruisers -- and folks who are currently booked on next year's cruise (19.1 & 19.2 ) will have the first crack at cabins available on the 2020 SJC. But, as soon as those folks are booked -- they will open things up to the folks who have pre-sale deposits. After that -- I think anything left is opened to the general public. So, being on the pre-sale list DOES help you, when it comes to booking.

OK -- so, that's probably more than you EVER wanted to know, LOL. Hope it helped!;)

You are such a sweetie to pay it forward with all the great info. You and Katie are just the folks I need to be up under to keep plans on track. :D:D:D

Which of the Sweet Sixteen's did you and hubby stay in? How was it for the week, i.e., did you get a lot of motion, noise issues, etc.? I'm not prone to seasickness and neither is mom.

During pre-sale I chose a cabin in the 2B category which was mainly because I want to secure a room where we are between cabin floors.

Thank you so much for taking time to help us newbies out. And no, one can never have too much information. :)