Return to Aurora?

Cute Cedilla

We haven’t cruised for a few years for various reasons. Last time it was on P&O Aurora and we enjoyed it very much. I am considering the June 2018 cruise to Norway and Iceland as we want a restful holiday. I have heard that tourists are left alone when walking ashore. Anyone got useful information or advice ? Is it worth paying extra for a balcony cabin? Last time we were on Aurora, Michael Mullane was Cruise Director. We liked Michael, he came out of his office and let guests talk to him. Anyone know if it will be Michael again? Or has he retired?

Michael is still around but not sure which ship he is on. Not sure what you mean by tourists being left alone? Tours are available or you can book private excursions or just do your own thing - your choice. Personally I wouldn't bother with a balcony without guaranteed sun!

John Bertram was Cruise Director up to March. Not sure if he’s still on. Certainly didn’t see him about, he had a very good hiding place and was conspicuous by his absence. Entertainment was generally pretty poor unless you like bridge or quizzing.

Hols4

Auror a is our favourite ship, it always seemed well kept and we like the different seating areas on deck. The entertainment can be hit and miss not keen on the Headliners. The crew are always polite we are going on her for the 5th time in October and May next year after her refit into an adult only ship. Enjoy

We haven’t cruised for a few years for various reasons. Last time it was on P&O Aurora and we enjoyed it very much. I am considering the June 2018 cruise to Norway and Iceland as we want a restful holiday. I have heard that tourists are left alone when walking ashore. Anyone got useful information or advice ? Is it worth paying extra for a balcony cabin? Last time we were on Aurora, Michael Mullane was Cruise Director. We liked Michael, he came out of his office and let guests talk to him. Anyone know if it will be Michael again? Or has he retired?

We love Aurora as, although the ship is older and has less facilities, the passenger profile is more to our liking. If you can afford it, I would always go for a balcony. I can’t understand why people would only book one for hot weather cruises. We never sunbathe, but would never cruise without a balcony. We love the constantly changing views, watching early arrivals into ports from bed, the natural light, watching the comings and goings in ports, spotting dolphins etc etc. With a balcony you can enjoy your cabin and your own private indoor and outdoor sitting areas for relaxing, reading etc. rather than just a place to sleep. Ideal when the ship is busy. With the scenery in Norway and Iceland being spectacular, you will get your money’s worth from a balcony cabin, even if you never opened the balcony door!

Thank you for your postings. It's useful to get realistic feedback on Aurora. Still undecided.
I wouldn't stay undecided for too long! If you are going in June, you are going to get a limited choice of cabins at this late stage.

Also, totally agree about the need for a balcony. Nothing nicer than watching the scenery go by in your own private space.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

We've just come back from 2 weeks on Aurora.

Ship is fine - depends on whether you like big ships or small ships!

We always go for balconies - agree with the comment above. There is some stunning scenery in Norway and it's great to watch the world go by from your balcony.

The captain was very accessible - never seen a captain so much. He was always in public areas talking to customers. Even saw him eating dinner in the Buffet restaurant one evening.

In terms with ports of call, just do a bit of research first. If you like doing your own thing then most ports are fine to potter round, but some ports have nothing there. For example Geirangerfjord - great scenery, great sail into and out of the fjord, but very limited stuff on shore. This was the one port where we did a shore excursion. Stavanger, Alesund and Bergen were all fine to potter.

To be honest, we rarely go to the shows and evening entertainments - but this applies to all P&O ships.