What time of year is best?

PK4

We have decided on itinerary, but undecided on time of year to go - either late Winter/early Summer or late Summer/early Winter - suggestions gratefully received please. We are travelling from NZ and in early 50s so cost and time mean this may be our last big European trip ....

Auckland to London

London - 5 nights (visiting family)

Amsterdam - 5 nights (visiting family)

Amsterdam to Budapest - 15 day river cruise

Budapest to Zurich (transfer to Lucerne) - 2 nights on Mount Pilatus

Zurich to Rome

Trafalgar or Monogram guided train tour - 9 nights (3 nights each city) - Rome / Florence / Venice

Ocean cruise - 7-10 nights - Venice / Croatia / Greece (not decided on exact cruise yet)

Venice to Auckland

My husband does not handle the heat so well, so mid-Summer is out. I love the heat, but happy to compromise with slightly cooler weather so long as not rain and snow !! We have been to Europe before (in our 20s) and remember Italy in June was unbearably hot and crowded.

Of course we have the option of reversing the itinerary to start with ocean cruise and end in London which would work weather-wise, but we would prefer to visit family first and then set out on the rest of our holiday.

I also appreciate much of the decision will rest with how the different tours line up for dates, but curious to hear opinions. Travel agents have basically said either option would work fine.

We have decided on itinerary, but undecided on time of year to go - either late Winter/early Summer or late Summer/early Winter - suggestions gratefully received please.

Might I suggest that you spell your time options out in months; for those of us in the Northern hemisphere, particularly those that have 4 seasons, your options don't mean much to us.

Oh yes, of course, my apologies :)

So - options are:

1. Start trip from London in mid-April meaning ending in Italy mid to late-June; or

2. Start trip from London in mid-August meaning ending in Italy mid to late-October

Thanks again

Oh yes, of course, my apologies :)

So - options are:

1. Start trip from London in mid-April meaning ending in Italy mid to late-June; or

2. Start trip from London in mid-August meaning ending in Italy mid to late-October

Thanks again

Based on your heat tolerance comment, option 2 would be my preference.

I agree with chawkjewel. London is always crowded but I find the weather overall more settled in August and nicer than in Spring in England. A heatwave does not last long in England (and by Italian standards it never is one anyway). In both versions you are still in Summer Time in Europe but overall light and heat I would say are preferable in your second option. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Time_in_Europe

Italy and the Mediterranean will cool down slowly in October. If it is like Northern Spain (I have never been to Venice) I would say the temperatures will fit you both well in October in Italy. Snow is a rare occurence in October in low-lying (altitude 300m and lower) places in Europe. For rain you can compare London to Venice here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_London

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Yes, I had read that too, but I think it's more the winter months (specifically November and December) so I think we'll be fine. Although the way the seasons are changing around the world, perhaps we'll need to be prepared no matter which month we go !!

We traveled through Italy this past October & ended in Venice in November (first week of November) & had gorgeous weather. We were told that was a little unusual since the rains start in November in Venice. I agree with the other posters. Option 2 would be preferable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually think the 1st option might be better. I have been in Budapest in early October and experienced temperatures of 28 C. And, a couple of years ago, when we sailed the Rhine in early September, the weather was very warm. We did a land tour after and thought that hotels without air conditioning would be OK in September... not our wisest decision!!

Fran

Mid April, then you can also enjoy the tulipfields and keukenhof in The netherlands. It can be chilly (not cold), but certainly not real warm.

I think either option would work. On the Spring option, since you are visiting family for nearly two weeks, then the weather is of secondary importance. This year mid April was very hot in the London (29C on the 19th) but it got cold again (Beast from the East) then hot again. So in the end who knows.

We were on the Danube last March and had wonderful weather and Spring sunshine. Your river cruise should be delightful. Venice and Rome will be crowded whenever you go and it may well rain, but usually only for a short period.

On balance I would go for the early option, that also means you get to see your family sooner !

Whatever you choose, it all sounds wonderful.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - it seems like each option has it's pros and cons. I think we'll let the itinerary decide for us as we have a few tours to line up so those dates may determine which time of year. Nice to know either would work :)