MSC Fantasia Daily Service Charge

bennob66

I have read that there is a 7 Euro / Person / Day Service Charge added to your shipboard account which is payable at the end of the cruise. We are considering a 7 nighter Western Med trip from Rome. Is this Charge adjustable or is this set as a charge no matter what you think of the service? I cannot find the answer to this anywhere on the MSC web site.

I have read that there is a 7 Euro / Person / Day Service Charge added to your shipboard account which is payable at the end of the cruise. We are considering a 7 nighter Western Med trip from Rome. Is this Charge adjustable or is this set as a charge no matter what you think of the service? I cannot find the answer to this anywhere on the MSC web site.

Service Charges

A: SERVICE CHARGE

MSC will automatically charge a modest service charge which will be billed to the Guest's account. Payment will only be requested at the end of the cruise and will depend on the number of days services were actually provided. Service charges serve the purpose of maintaining the highest quality standards of service to the passengers.

The amount of the service is as follows and will be added to each passengers account on a daily basis:

Mediterranean and Northern Europe cruises

- 9 days/8nights or less: 7 Euro/day per adult

- more than 9 days/8 nights: 6 Euro/day per adult including autumn transatlantic cruises

There is no service charge for children under the age of 14, whereas guests between the ages of 14 and 17 will be charged 50% of the above rates.

Caribbean and North American cruises: $12 US Dollars/day per adult; $6 US Dollars/day per child under 18, including spring transatlantic cruises

South America cruises: $9 US Dollars/day per adult; $4.50 US Dollars /day per child under 18, including spring transatlantic cruises

South Africa cruises

South Africa cruises: $6 US Dollars/day per adult

Positioning cruises: - heading to South Africa 6 Euro/day per adult

- coming from South Africa $6 US Dollars/day per adult

The applicable service charge for children under 18 will be 50% of the above rates.

Should you wish to change or remove the suggested amount from your account, please contact the Guest Relations Manager onboard prior to the last day of the cruise. Tips: No tips are requested on board.

Q:

MSC for UNICEF

A:

Starting from July 13th, 2009, MSC Crociere will support an innovative UNICEF programme to combat poverty and inequality by helping ensure disadvantaged children in Rio de Janeiro and São Paolo gain quality education.

Guests are also invited to “get on board for children” and make a difference by offering a small donation. This can be as little as €1 (or $1.50 USD per person), which will be added to the bill at the end of the cruise. However this small donation, valid on all ships in the MSC Cruises fleet, is of course optional. Therefore, passengers may freely decide whether to increase, decrease or cancel it, communicating their decision to the Accounting Office before 22.00 of the last day of the cruise. This Office is at guests’ disposal for further information. For your convenience, should you give no indication to change the amount, the sum of € 1 (or $1.50 USD per person) will be automatically debited to your final account.

For more information please read the informational brochure left in every cabin or go to www.msc-unicef.org

You used to be able to adjust the auto gratuity when it was that but since they have renamed it a service charge I don't think it can be adjusted.

We did on our Poesia transatlantic a couple of weeks ago. We were told to write a short note with the amount we wanted to pay (nil in our case) and sign it and hand it in at reception. I got the girl at reception to countersign mine and give me a photo copy just in case they "lost" it. A lot of people were doing this as the word spread that they were accepting these notes. When we received our final account the "service charge" had been removed.

Unfortunately the other "service charge", the 15% on all drinks has to be paid.

Cheers.

Andy.

We did on our Poesia transatlantic a couple of weeks ago. We were told to write a short note with the amount we wanted to pay (nil in our case) and sign it and hand it in at reception. I got the girl at reception to countersign mine and give me a photo copy just in case they "lost" it. A lot of people were doing this as the word spread that they were accepting these notes. When we received our final account the "service charge" had been removed.

Unfortunately the other "service charge", the 15% on all drinks has to be paid.

Cheers.

Andy.

This is good to know. I think the SERVICE charge should be paid, provided that the service is actually appropriate. If it is below general standards, I have a huge problem with having to pay a "service" fee for really bad service.

We are cerainly not demanding travellers at all. In fact, we usually go with the flow and we are very easy going. However, since many of the customer complaints about MSC are about bad service, this is an issue that just does not go away. I'm hoping that the service is just Ok, and I really hope we don't find ourselves in a position to make that decision to adjust the amount.

I think they should change the service charge system. There should be tickboxes where you could mark which persons you would like to pay service money.

If the maid does good job, you could tick her title but if your dinner room waiter is bad - you could left him/her out.

Edited by JezzaC

We have just come back from Med trip on Fantasia, yes you do have to pay 7 Euro pppn.

• 7 years later...

Cruising on MSC Fantasia in November 2018, around the Med then over to Brazil. Can anyone update the service charge ‘issue’ please?

If we purchase the drinks package do we still pay a service charge?

Many thanks in advance