Viking Douro cruise - question on Porto included tour

CJcruzer

On the included tour in Porto, are there any inside visits (besides the port tasting/wine cellar) of monuments, buildings or churches/cathedral?

Specifically, insides visits to the Se/Cathedral or the Bolsa Palace (I believe it is stock exchange building)? Is the included tour mostly walking with sites spotted along the way

The morning tour is 4.5 hours, so I assume we are back to the ship approx 1 pm for lunch - then possibly could go back into town, or else just stay in town after morning tour. How are the logistics to return to town on our own from the ship.

I am trying to figure if I want to spend an extra day at the end of the cruise in Porto, in in order to see some more sights.

Also has anyone who stayed extra in Porto gone to Aveiro? If so, I would appreciate any opinions and insight,

Thanks

River boats actually dock in Vila Nova de Gaia slightly downstream from Ponte Dom Luis I and directly in front of the port lodges This is across the river from Porto proper, and probably a 20 minute walk to downtown with one good size incline. If you go to https://www.mapquest.com/search/results?slug=%2Fpt%2Fporto&query=Porto,%20PT&page=0 and zoom in on the satellite photos you can see the river boats just north of the notation "Avenida Ramas Pinto". I did not go with Viking but pretty sure your tour will include the interior of the Se; not sure what else.

We did Viking last December. Tour parked near the Se. There was a quick tour of the Se, but not the palace, and then we walked down to the train station for the tile art work. After returning to the bus, the tour went to the old town area near the Porto tower and famous bookstore. After a short walking tour and 1/2 hr on your own the bus went on to the port cellar tour. Afterwards people walked to the ship for lunch. After lunch you could go into Porto on your own for the rest of the evening. The ship left the next morning, although we had heavy fog and could not leave until nearly noon. Any questions just ask.

Porto was easy to walk around and we would have loved to spend more time but we had other scheduling conflicts(Christmas:)).

We did Viking last December. Tour parked near the Se. There was a quick tour of the Se, but not the palace, and then we walked down to the train station for the tile art work. After returning to the bus, the tour went to the old town area near the Porto tower and famous bookstore. After a short walking tour and 1/2 hr on your own the bus went on to the port cellar tour. Afterwards people walked to the ship for lunch. After lunch you could go into Porto on your own for the rest of the evening. The ship left the next morning, although we had heavy fog and could not leave until nearly noon. Any questions just ask.

Porto was easy to walk around and we would have loved to spend more time but we had other scheduling conflicts(Christmas:)).

thank you, that is precisely what I was hoping to hear, and I appreciate your information. Vikng is very vague in their answers.

I was concerned because someone's review from 2016 mentioned that the ship did move (they returned to new location in Beitos after Guimaeres optional excursion to be nearer to Benedictine monastery of Alpendurada, where Viking held an included dinner in the cloister area.)

Perhaps Viking has deleted this from their itinerary now?

Therefore I was concerned about going back into Porto historical center in the afternoon to continue sightseeing. We have been to Guimaeres (ocean cruise excursion when ported in Leixoes/Porto), so an afternoon in Porto would just about cover what else I wanted to see. I can even make reservation for the 40 minute guided tour of Palacio Bolsa, then meander around.

Ideally I would prefer to stay an extra day in Porto, but the flight scheduling,connection layover and cost is terrible - compared to either leaving upon disembarkation, OR staying 2 extra days (perhaps too much time)...

Thank you again for taking the time to elaborate, it is much appreciated.

how did leaving later the next day after Porto impact on your day's touring? did they have to shorten up or delete anything?

We are sailing early November.....

how did leaving later the next day after Porto impact on your day's touring? did they have to shorten up or delete anything?

We are sailing early November.....

The ship went through the first two locks and then docked. We then took about a 2 1/2hr bus ride to Mateus manor house. We had an 1/2 hr tour of the house and then an 1/2 hr to explore the gardens while the other 1/2 of the ship toured the house. The port tasting was dropped but later added on at the end of the tour the day after Salamanca(Favious day and Bean of Portugal, excellent day). In my opinion, the tour was not worth the bus ride. Lot of people not feeling very good after the long ride through twisting valley side of the river with light flashing between trees lining the road. Mateus palace is just not that interesting and the gardens in late fall (early winter really) were very dark by the time we saw them and full night by the time we left.

My tip, we really liked the Favious wines and should have bought a bottle or two to bring back home.

Lisbon, Porto and Salamanca were the highlights but the day after Salamanca with Bean of Portugal and the Favious winery was an unexpected pleasure not to be missed.

I think Viking continues to tweek the itinerary so days may switch around some.

We are actually leaving for our Viking Douro tour today. This information is very interesting. We are going early and spending 5 1/2 days in lisbon before we join Viking there. I want to go to Sintra, Fatima and Caicais too.

we will spend 3 days in Porto and fly to Madrid for 3days before heading home.

krillsister, have a wonderful trip and safe travels. Hopefully you will be able to share some details that pertain to this thread.

I decided to add 2 more days in Porto anyway, so I guess whatever we do see on the included day in Porto will be fine, and we will fill in the gaps after.