traveling with step-children

jchristie

Is a notarized letter from a biological parent NOT traveling on the cruise required in order to sail?

situation: my Hubby and I both have children from previous marriages and we are booked for May cruise (4day to Cozumel) during our visitation - having my ex sign a "consent" letter is not a problem - however my hubby's ex wife may be another issue..... would this keep us from cruising with the kids if she refuses to sign a "consent" letter?

It's my understanding that it is required. I've heard they may be hit and miss on actually requesting to see it but I wouldn't go unprepared. The purpose of the letter is to help prevent parental kidnapping (not, I'm sure, that this applies to you). However, if a parent took their child on a cruise and took off with them, Carnival could be held liable without proof that the other parent gave their permission for the children to be out of the country. If I were you, I'd do my darndest to get the consent letter from the ex.

We have been told it is required and have done this on two cruises...we both had minors from other marriages. We got papers from both other parents. However, we were never asked to show them to anyone. They usually say that it is required and may be requested by Mexican authorities, but as I said, we took them but never were asked for them. Better safe than sorry. If you don't, that will be the day they ask!

I have traveled for years with minors and never have I been asked, but like poster said...your embark will be the day. In fact, I think I will get one this year.

Seems everything is changing!

How is the relationship with the ex-inlaws, maybe they can help.

I have traveled for years with minors and never have I been asked, but like poster said...your embark will be the day. In fact, I think I will get one this year.

Seems everything is changing!

How is the relationship with the ex-inlaws, maybe they can help.

that depends on what mood the ex is in that day - lol.... I don't want to get into personal details on here - but lets just say she feeds off of causing drama. It is hard to tell.... but that is something we may try....

• 2 weeks later...
that depends on what mood the ex is in that day - lol.... I don't want to get into personal details on here - but lets just say she feeds off of causing drama. It is hard to tell.... but that is something we may try....

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. We went through this last year, and she finally signed the consent form. Then, after stating that another cruise this year wouldn't be a problem, is being hateful about signing this year. We have just informed her that we won't book his fare until she signs it.

Do your kids have passports? We were never questioned at all about it last year, but our kids all had passports. Maybe since my stepson's name is the same as mine and my husbands...not sure. We do want it just in case though.

You will have different last names and will flag Carnival to look you and the kids over. Get the letters or you will not be going on a cruise. And that will not be very nice. Just looked at the Oasis for RCI and several people they would not let board. One was lucky to get a fax with permission to have the kid cruise. One had names spelled wrong, One got married and names were different. They got there marrige lic fax to the port. One had a expired passport. He did not go. These days make sure all the docs are correct.

Just returned from cruise with 3 GC. Had letters for all 3 but only 1 had notorized letter. No problem getting on board ship, but a different scenerio with CBP. Officer asked for documentation and gave me a good, long lecture about the other 2 not being notorized. He made a "Point" of letting me know that the 2 letter not notorized were not worth the paper they were written on. Finally let us through. Long line behind me was not happy about the delay.:o

the kids don't have passports yet - we are getting them for our next cruise but just did not have the $$$ for them this time.

Two of the kids will have the same last name as myself and my hubby. The only one that will not is my son which I will have a letter signed and notarized for him (his father is not against that at all and won't cause an issue over it).

It is my skids Mother that we are concerned about. I spoke with our attorney and he told me to attempt it via a letter stating our travel plans etc. and enclose a letter of consent already typed (one for each child) so all she has to do is sign (we will get notarized) - if she refuses then he will handle legally....grrrr......

Thanks to you all for the help and advice! I surely don't want to take any chances of missing that SHIP!!!! LOL.

I spoke with our attorney and he told me to attempt it via a letter stating our travel plans etc. and enclose a letter of consent already typed (one for each child) so all she has to do is sign (we will get notarized) - if she refuses then he will handle legally....grrrr......

How does that work? I thought the notarization was to confirm it was her signature. How can you notarize it without her being there?

How does that work? I thought the notarization was to confirm it was her signature. How can you notarize it without her being there?

so true - duh! I was thinking that we would take care of it so that she would not have to worry about it - but that is so true and thank you for pointing that out to me... that could have potentially been bad....

Archived