Galaxy pax, I have a dilemma

fireguy091

I ve just returned and have an awfull lot of info to share. Daily activitys,all 11 copies, bar menu's from everywhere. To many pages to fax to everyone who wants them. In a perfect world I would scan and post all this stuff by I don't have the savy or stuff to get it done.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I have recieved several emails from folks who would like copies and I want to get the info to everyone who needs it, just not sure of the best way to get it all out there..

Hi

Hope you had a great time. We leave April 25 on the same cruise. I'm trying to find out was the ship pretty steady or was it rocky. I don't want to get seasick. :eek: I read from some of the posts that it's not very stable.

How was the night life on the ship. Do they have places to dance, any decent bands?

videogirl,

The ship is very stable I hardly knew it was moving and we actually had bad weather the last day.

The band is just ok. If you are under 35 you won't find what you are looking for just make the best of it. If you are older you will fit right in.

Go with a positive attitude and you will have a great time. I hope you like sea days because there a lot of them and we had a pretty sedate croud.

See my other thread and I will try to answer questions then later give my opinion of the overall cruise. It was good but its not for everybody.

Susan, I have 11 daily schedules that are 3 pages double sided. I have 6 or so bar menu's that are several pages each. I think the bar menu's coulb be condenced as some have the same info. I just thought someone might want to see them all. Plus some other misc. stuff.

Susan,

I am waiting to here from one other person who expressed an interest in posting them. If I don't here from that person soon I will send the info to you (not copies but the originals) if you promice to post the interesting stuff...:)

I ve just returned and have an awfull lot of info to share. Daily activitys,all 11 copies, bar menu's from everywhere. To many pages to fax to everyone who wants them. In a perfect world I would scan and post all this stuff by I don't have the savy or stuff to get it done.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I have recieved several emails from folks who would like copies and I want to get the info to everyone who needs it, just not sure of the best way to get it all out there..

I could always put it up for FTP, if anyone out there knows how to deal with that!

Susan,

I am waiting to here from one other person who expressed an interest in posting them. If I don't here from that person soon I will send the info to you (not copies but the originals) if you promice to post the interesting stuff...:)

Just tried it, and the web site I am using for pics will allow some VERY large jpg files -- enough that the information should be readable. Scanning is no problem here, either -- "we" manufacture them.

I have a number of options for making the material available. Are there enough folks here familiar with FTP to make it worth using FTP as one of these methods?

Where would you LIKE to access these, and by what methods? Many sites put some pretty severe limits on file size (e.g., here at CC) such that text would not be legible at the uploaded file sizes.

What about a message here with links to the various bits and pieces? Or ???

Fireguy, I'm a web designer, so I have the stuff to do it and a place to put it, but my paying customers get my highest priority. That means that by the time I get it done, it will probably be out of date.:)

I kept all the daily sheets, with the idea of doing a web page for this cruise. Scanning, optimizing, and posting is really tedious work, so I'll probably be procrastinating on that part of the page for a long time. I hate to do it without billing someone for it.

However, if someone sends me optimized jpgs, I'll post them on the web asap.

Lisa

Canderson,

I didn't see your message until after I posted mine. If you scan the stuff and email it to me, I can optimize it with photoshop and the files shouldn't be too big. I can post it gallery style on it's own site. My email is lisa at delrio followed by a hyphen followed by design and then a dot com.

Lisa

Would it be possible for someone to convert them to pdf files? Those are relatively small. I would vote for FTP site.
PDF might be a good solution. Since this will be text, I'll just scan it as B&W, and *.JPG will not be the optimum method for compression. Compressed TIFF B&W will compress to a much greater degree, and embeds nicely into PDF files. I think most everyone has a copy of Acrobat Reader by now, don't they? Heck, they might even let me post a decent sized one here. I've never uploaded a *.PDF, so don't know CC's size limitations on those. Oddly, image size (not just file size) varies based upon the file type you're uploading here.

You folks all able to deal with *.PDF files when you run across them on the web?

Canderson, where are you going to upload the files? As attachments?

PDF might be a good solution. Since this will be text, I'll just scan it as B&W, and *.JPG will not be the optimum method for compression. Compressed TIFF B&W will compress to a much greater degree, and embeds nicely into PDF files. I think most everyone has a copy of Acrobat Reader by now, don't they? Heck, they might even let me post a decent sized one here. I've never uploaded a *.PDF, so don't know CC's size limitations on those. Oddly, image size (not just file size) varies based upon the file type you're uploading here.

You folks all able to deal with *.PDF files when you run across them on the web?

Canderson, where are you going to upload the files? As attachments?
Still undecided. It's probably not possible to do much with them here due to file size limitations, but let me try something here this evening and we'll see what happens.

I can put them up on my own FTP site, and link to them from a message here. You'd click on the link here and it should bring up your FTP portion of your browser, or you could go there directly with your preference of FTP clients.

Alternately, I'll see just how big a "picture" webshots.com will handle and upload there and provide a link to the whole collection.

There are a number of options available.

Well, I scanned the first side of embarkation day program, but since I don't have Acrobat, it's a jpg. I could only get it down to approximately 170K without losing too much quality. It still looks better at about 250K. That's for an image 800X1035.

I also tried b&w, but it didn't save enough space to make up for the quality degradation. Canderson, what do you use to make an optimized b&w tiff?

Thanks,

Lisa

ps. here's the link

http://www.delrio-design.com/daily.jpg

I also tried b&w, but it didn't save enough space to make up for the quality degradation. Canderson, what do you use to make an optimized b&w tiff?

If nothing else, the even old Kodak "Imaging for Windows" they used to bundle with Windows will get this job done. It'll save the file as a G4 compressed TIFF by default, easy to incorporate into a PDF, or we could even leave them as standalone TIFF files. I have much better tools than "Imaging", though.

A fairly "busy" 8-1/2 x 11" B&W seems to run about 56K bytes.

We too are interested in seeing the logs and leave the 25th next month with videogirl. Appreciate all of your efforts to get these online. FTP is fine for me but not sure everyone would be able to.

Here is a website where someone posted the activities some time back and they "should be" generally the same even though the ports are different.

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy/activevent.htm

Thanks again,

Lisa, that jpg came out pretty clear. A person would just have to save every picture to the hard drive to read them. What if we did this, you scan one whole document just like this one, send them to me and I'll create one pdf. Then we can see how that turns out and go from there?

OK -- to the Firedude and fellow Celebraritarians...

These first two links will show exactly one page each of the main wine list. Tell me, in general terms, what sort of success you have with this one:

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Main_Dining_Wine_List_pg1.tif

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Main_Dining_Wine_list_pg2.tif

This will provide me a rough gauge as to how many of you out there can and can't handle a Group 4 compressed *.tif (geeky enough?) image file.

Well, the links show up like broken image files for me. So, I went to the root of the ftp site and grabbed it from there. I opened the tif with Paint Shop Pro just fine. I also grabbed the Main dining room wine list pdf and it came out beautifully!!

Archived