Caribbean/Lat Am country checklist

Just wanted to see how well traveled some of my other fellow cruisers are!

So, there are 21 countries in what is considered North Latin America (Central America/Mexico), and the Caribbean.

So far, I have been blessed enough to get to the following (places where I have seen the capital are starred, also):

Been:

-Mexico*

-Guatemala

-Costa Rica

-Panama

-Belize

-Honduras

-Bahamas*

Additional Non-Countries Been To:

-Puerto Rico*

-Cayman Islands*

-Aruba*

Haven't Been:

-Antigua and Barbuda

-Barbados

-Cuba

-Dominica

-Dominican Republic

-El Salvador

-Grenada

-Haiti

-Jamaica

-Nicaragua

-Saint Kitts and Nevis

-Saint Lucia

-Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

-Trinidad and Tobago

So I've seen a decent bit, but still have some work to do! Cruises go to a fair amount of these, but not all.

I think my favorite place I've been period in this region would be Mexico City, but that is cheating I suppose since not a cruise port, and so I'll say San Juan, Puerto Rico. Part of that perhaps to do with my wife having heritage from there, but also, it's just a nice, well rounded place. San Juan functions as arguably the Caribbean's most complete city, filled with history/culture and other attractions, great food, and the natural scenery of Puerto Rico is spectacular with caves, desert, mountains and rainforest all within an hour's drive of the capital.

My most eye opening experience was in Guatemala, near Lake Atitlan, where I saw very pretty landscapes, but also just heart wrenching levels of poverty that it wouldn't occur to someone exists in North America around 1000 miles from Miami which has one of the highest purchasing power levels on the planet.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I count 24 countries not 21[emoji3]. More to visit. I’ve been to 16 listed. Thru the Panama Canal 3 times. I think that’s my favorite. I do love San Juan, but also because my college roommate was from PR so I have great memories from my visits. There have been many changes to these islands from when I first visited.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Haha! Puerto Rico, Cayman and Aruba, while nice, aren't countries, they're all territories belonging to other countries:) : )

But they are all interesting in their own way. Thank you for reporting back! I hope to get to all of them though some will be more difficult than others (Nicaragua is having some stability issues right now, in particular as is El Salvador).