Titanic

babs135

Would you sail on the Titanic if she could be raised from the ocean floor and fully restored? I ask the question because here in the UK the speed record holder boat Bluebird has been restored and is back on the water. Article here:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/06/300-mph-bluebird-jet-boat-returns-to-water-51-years-after-fatal-crash.html

My answer to my own question is quite simply NO.

What are your thoughts?

The Titanic will have disappeared in 100 years as she is being eaten and is very deep down...

Anyway, on a fantasy note I would say no as I am little young for that type of travel.

If you want some Titanic action then I suggest visiting Belfast and Southampton with their history and museums lie (NY possible also?). You could also sail aboard Celebrity's Millenium ship with its Olympic panels or visit land restaurants with other bits of the Titanic's sister ship.

Failing that watch the rather excellent film by Mr Cameron and hope that the Australian Titanic 2 project picks up again.

my feeling is that it is a grave and to raise her and restore her for people to travel in would almost be sacrilegious. Some things should be left as they were. I don't approve of the Bluebird project. Whilst only one person died it is still one too many.

I wouldn't go into a cemetery and dance on people's graves which is how I would feel if I was on the Titanic.

She should be left in peace as should Bluebird.

The Titanic will have disappeared in 100 years as she is being eaten and is very deep down...

Anyway, on a fantasy note I would say no as I am little young for that type of travel.

If you want some Titanic action then I suggest visiting Belfast and Southampton with their history and museums lie (NY possible also?). You could also sail aboard Celebrity's Millenium ship with its Olympic panels or visit land restaurants with other bits of the Titanic's sister ship.

Failing that watch the rather excellent film by Mr Cameron and hope that the Australian Titanic 2 project picks up again.

Sadly, the Olympic panels were taken out when the restaurant was replaced by the Tuscan Grill. :mad: I think the panels are now in some lucky person’s office at corporate headquarters because they didn’t fit the goal of making all the ships as much alike as possible.

my feeling is that it is a grave and to raise her and restore her for people to travel in would almost be sacrilegious. Some things should be left as they were. I don't approve of the Bluebird project. Whilst only one person died it is still one too many.

I wouldn't go into a cemetery and dance on people's graves which is how I would feel if I was on the Titanic.

She should be left in peace as should Bluebird.

I was hiking in the Lake District a couple of months ago and stayed in the Coniston area. A local museum had an exhibit on the Bluebird, including some rather smashed up parts (to demonstrate the force of the impact). According to the display, they felt they needed to raise the wreckage because as deep water diving and technology was becoming more and more accessible to the general public, they were afraid of the site being ransacked and otherwise disturbed. It seems to make sense, although I'm not sure I agree with restoring it to put back in the water.

Thanks for the article. I appreciate the follow-up to my visit.

I imagine “fully restored” means in first class condition -

a la 1912. That would mean no A/C, no internet, or ANY communication other than slow Morse code messages, no TV - in cabin or otherwise, no medical staff able to handle anything more serious than a mild headache. Nothing to eat except 1912 offerings in 1912 surroundings.

As something of a traditionalist -who hates new ships built after 1999 - I suppose I would have less trouble sailing her than most CC posters, but I do think there would be long lines of complainers at the purser’s office.

Sadly, the Olympic panels were taken out when the restaurant was replaced by the Tuscan Grill. :mad: I think the panels are now in some lucky person’s office at corporate headquarters because they didn’t fit the goal of making all the ships as much alike as possible.

What a shame! Thanks for the heads up.

That was a real unique selling point of that ship and appreciated by many I am sure.

Just to be replaced by yet another bog standard Italian on cruise ships.

Oh well.

I imagine “fully restored” means in first class condition -

a la 1912. That would mean no A/C, no internet, or ANY communication other than slow Morse code messages, no TV

I imagine if they could bring her up or wanted to, they would modernize her. And they'd put in the required number of lifeboats (well, that's not even optional). And so on. At which point, is it really the same experience? What's the point? Plus of course, a load of people died on her. That's kind of...unsettling. I mean, look at all the stories about the Queen Mary's supposed hauntings. Do we need that with Titanic?

I wouldn't sail on that ship or any other with the same name. I know the odds of it happening again are zero, but still. Anyway, there are loads of great ships to sail on, and any Titanic ship will be stupidly expensive for the nostalgia factor. I'm not made of money. :-)

I was googling the ship just now and saw that they're doing (or are going to do) underwater tours of Titanic in little diving vessels. Part of me thinks I should be bothered by this--leave it alone, don't go down there and gawk--but you know, it's been over 100 years now. We go to see all kinds of places where people have died. It's the same thing, except it's in the water.

I would not. I agree with those who say it's a grave site and should be left alone

Of course, the “sanctity” of grave sites seems to fade with the passage of time. No one seems to feel that way about Rome’s Castel Sant’Angelo (Hadrian’s) or Egypt’s Great Pyramid (Cheops’) - so certainly a thousand or two years’ passage makes it OK. That Brit parking lot (Richard III’s) was fresher - they still dug him up; but I recall reinterred him with full military honors - sort of thumbing the state’s nose at Henry VII.

I feel like I have heard of companies recreating turn of the century ships. They may not be the Titanic but the look and feel is probably similar though obviously they embellish them with modern amenities and they aren't run on coal or steam anymore.

I do remember reading about someone recreating the dinner menu of the Titanic. It was like a degustation and apparently the food was really nice though very rich.

icon.png

[/font][/color]

I mean, look at all the stories about the Queen Mary's supposed hauntings. Do we need that with Titanic?

LOL.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that.

QM spent most of her life sailing to & from her (and my) home port of Southampton.

She didn't have a reputation for ghosts.

Or at least, she didn't until she retired to Long Beach :D

Rather too many folk in the USA are infatuated by ghosts, aliens, conspiracy theories and all things super-natural.

So suddenly QM had ghosts from the past. :rolleyes:

BTW - I'm with those who consider Titanic to be a sea grave, and she should be left where she lies.

I also think Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 should have been left at the bottom of Coniston Water, and John Parry-Thomas's "Babs" should have been left buried in Pendine Sands.

All JMHO as always

JB :)

Brought from the ocean bottoms

....no... that's a final resting place for so many poor souls.

If a 'replica' was made...yes....but only as first or second class....[emoji6]

I read somewhere that first class ticket would have been approx $124,000. [emoji85]So I guess I will have to deal with my modern day balcony cabin...internet....evening entertainment.....and old images of the famed ship.

*great topic OP

I do remember reading about someone recreating the dinner menu of the Titanic. It was like a degustation and apparently the food was really nice though very rich.

icon.png

A few places did this...especially in the UK for the centenary in 2012.

I took my husband for his 25th Birthday to a local bistro and it was great. They couldn't match the wines but tried to use good replacements.

Brought from the ocean bottoms

....no... that's a final resting place for so many poor souls.

If a 'replica' was made...yes....but only as first or second class....[emoji6]

I read somewhere that first class ticket would have been approx $124,000. [emoji85]So I guess I will have to deal with my modern day balcony cabin...internet....evening entertainment.....and old images of the famed ship.

*great topic OP

The Titanic For Dummies

Accommodation PriceApproximate Price in Today's Dollars

First-class parlor suite £870/$4,350 $100,000

Berth in first-class cabin £30/$150 $3,500

Berth in second-class cabin £12/$60 $1,375

Berth in third-class cabin £3–£8/$15–$40 $350–$900

And people complain about the cost of cruises today. :D