Flip Flops in the Dining Room?

Sue C.

OK, I know I have to wear slacks, capris, or a sundress on casual days, but can I wear flip flops with the outfits? I don't own sandals, and I'm afraid if I buy new ones, my feet will hurt.

Thanks,

Sue

Leaving 4/11 on Mariner of the Seas (and I'm not prepared!)

Sue--I would say no to flip flops. IMHO they are daytime, beach/pool wear. If you don't want sandals, how about a little flat slide shoe? They can be dressed up or down and perfect with capri's. Hope this helps, it is just my opinion.

Missyal

Sue--Sorry, were you talking about flip flops for dinner? I took it that way because I just read your other post about the dress. If you were referring to flip flops during the day, that is perfectly fine icon_biggrin.gif

Missyal

I think it depends on the shoes. If you are talking about something w/ a cute heel or sparkly, you can probably get away w/ it. If they are super casual, I'd say no.

On our cruise, there was a bride in the dining room. Under her floor length gown, she wore flat sparkly flip flops.

Trish

On Island Night on my last cruise I wore sparkly beaded flip-flops with a sun dress. I might have gotten away with it because I am younger. That said, I think that whether flip-flops are apppropriate is based on what they look like and what you are wearing them with.

I would have to also ask, what do you mean by flip-flops. Are they leather, do they have heels, where did you buy them? With all the different style out today, I don't think it would be too difficult to find a pair of comfortable nice looking shoes. My opinion might be biased, I love high heels. My evening shoe of choice is a sandal type shoe with a 3 inch heel. I love the way my legs look in heels, and am willing to sacrifice comfort for looks. But that's me.

Have a great cruise.

Mari

I think the important question here is are we talking "flip flops" for poolside made of rubber or foam - OR - sandals that have a little heel and some decoration and made of leather that happen have the "toe thong" thing? icon_confused.gif Many of the upscale shoe designers are making more and more of these "thong" type dressy sandals these days. It's hard to avoid them when looking for sandals.

There are many cute sandals out this season and it seems the trend this season are the sandals that have the the "toe thong" (not sure what else to call it). I think the dressier ones would be very cute with the right dress. Not mention these types of shoes are much easier to break in (may not even need breaking in) or may be appropriate for those who have feet that swell when they travel.

When I first started reading these boards there was another similar post that said absolutely no thong sandals. So I started shopping very early for dressier shoes/sandals for dining room evenings but it was tough since I know my feet swell terribly when I travel and strappy sandals would take MUCHO breaking in before I left. There were sooooo many cute dressy "thong" type sandals that would have been perfect but I stayed away from them. I wish I hadn't because I think many would have been very appropriate.

So I guess the point is, here, where is the point that a thong type shoe is for pool wear only and when is it a nicer sandal?

Adventure of the Seas 05/02/04

Depends on if you mean flip flops or thong sandals. I've seen some very dressy thong sandals and some very casual flip flops.

If you really mean rubber flip flops, I'd say no, but a nice pair of thong sandals are O.K.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

icon_rolleyes.gif Hi...there are rubber flip flops, thong or slide, that you can buy at CVS or your local supermarket AND there are other flip flops, thong or slide, that are made by Stuart Weitzman, that you can buy at Nordstrom for $255.

There is definitely a difference. Have a good cruise.

Karen icon_wink.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived