Radiance-Class vs. Voyager-Class

Radiance-Class vs. Voyager-Class  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Radiance-Class vs. Voyager-Class

• Radiance-Class (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade, Jewel)
    • Voyager-Class (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom)

I find that Voyager class ships and Radiance class ships offer quite different cruise experiences, and my choice between them often depends on which type of experience I am interested in at the time. Overall, I prefer Radiance ships for a number of reasons. In general they offer longer cruises and a greater variety of itineraries. They also are more outward directed, providing wonderful seaviews from throughout the ship. I also prefer the Radiance class solaria with their retractable roofs, and their concierge lounges with views of the sea.

Voyager and Freedom ships are designed to draw guests into the interior of the ship and it becomes easy to forget you are at sea, when you are in the Royal Promenade or many of the lounges, especially the concierge lounge. However, the excitement you find on the Royal Promenade, the fabulous ice shows, and many of the other fascinating features of Voyager ships, make for a more high-energy cruise experience.

We are taking our kids and grandkids on the Freedom next October and I know that we will all have a wonderful time, exploring the ship and participating in many of the activities that are unique to it and to Voyager ships. Two weeks later, however, my wife and I will be on Jewel of the Seas repositioning cruise from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale. The cruise experience will be quite different but just as enjoyable.

Depending on your mood and what you are looking for in a cruise, one or the other will probably fit your needs (unless of course you are looking for a smaller, more intimate cruise). Sadly, those are becoming more and more rare on the mass-market lines.

Also the itinerary matters. Alaska or Europe, probably Radiance; more intimate, more glass.

Caribbean, maybe Voyager would be better.

Overall I'd choose Radiance. I've found the service to better on the Radiance-class.

The Voyager Class of ships wins hands down for me. Radiance was a beautiful ship but I found the beds uncomfortable, the nightly shows in the Centrium loud and kept me awake. They should move the shows to a different area.

I absolutely love the Promenade with all the shops, the ice show and classiness of the Voyager ships. Will only cruise on them from now on.

For me nothing is better than sitting outdoors in the open air for breakfast in the Windjammer Cafe looking out over the sea. Tough to beat.

I agree with Beth. I much prefer the glass and open feeling of the Radiance class to the larger Voyager class. As someone else mentioned, there were many times on the Voyager that I didn't even feel as though as was on a ship.

But..........maybe it is because I am older and prefer relaxing to rock climbing, etc.

I prefer Radiance class for several reasons.

1. More views out of the ship

2. Seaview Cafe instead of JR's

3. all have both Chops and Prortifino's

4. Feels more intimate yet has the amenities

5. I prefer the indoor solarium to the outdoor.

6. I prefer the glass elevators of the Radiance class.

Luv 'em both. I wish they would build a Voyager class with the glass of Radiance! That would be my favorite class. While the entertaiment on Voyager and Mariner far outclassed that of the Radiance, and the promenade deck was awesome, what can compare with the views from inside the Radiance? How about a Freedom class with the glass of Radiance. Freediance of the Seas?:rolleyes:

Sovereign of the Seas 6/2002

Voyager of the Seas 4/2003

Mariner of the Seas 5/2004

Radiance of the Seas 4/2006

Back to where it all began - Sovereign 1/2007

Voyager class! Love the Voyager class ships, especially Navigator. I like Radiance class alright, but the pool deck just isn't big enough and it doesn't have the Promenade and Cafe Promenade. Can't wait to try Freedom and Liberty.

Archived