Can a Group request open on-board activities?

I tried the 'Search' here with no luck. I tried RCCL on the phone (three times) with three different results and unsuccessful attempts. I have not yet talked to a real person that knows the answer to my query - For a specific Cruise (you can figure it out by my signature) can a group request on on-board activity that would be open to all guests, but might not have been included in the basic planning? Is there a corporate 'Director of Cruise Directors' I can talk to that plans the on-board activities for the ships??

And I'm thinking that when we get to Cozumel with several other ships with over 21,000+ guests all trying to do shore activities between 9AM and 5PM, we need some on-board festivities!!

IME, it is the specific CD for your ship that makes these kinds of decisions, not some corporate person. Stop by the CD's office on your first day and see what you can work out.

Probably not. The crew staff deserve a break just like everyone else. Their work days are pretty well spelled out and when they are off I think they want to stay that way. Afterall why would they cater to your group and forget about the rest of the pax who are finding ways to have fun.

Ah, just to be sure there is no misunderstanding - I'm hoping for an additional, optional on-board activity. Specific - 'Boat-style' Ballroom Dancing instruction - nothing fancy, just learn to be comfortable with a partner on the dance floor when they play music other than 'jump up and down' style. It would be great for some of us IF (big IF) RCCL could arrange for a knowledgeable person to instruct guests in traditional shipboard dancing. You know, correct Foxtrot, Waltz, Tango, Cha-Cha, etc. (OK, those that prefer DISCO & Line Dancing, this is not for you!!) I don't expect the crew to cater for special or port times, just include 'Ballroom Boat Dancing' as an additional option to the Bingo, Crafts and other assorted activities while on the cruise. I just don't know how to (if it's possible to) request this as an optional activity.

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to be blunt, but there's no way in h*** they will listen to your request. It's just not what RCI does - just like they do not really offer crafts classes. Any activity is going to have to appeal to a broad group, require little overhead, and be something that any member of the CD staff an execute. Fireguy makes a good point about crew time off in port.

Actually, RCI does do crafts. We had crafts sessions on every sea day of our Panana Canal repositioning cruise. To clarify, we didn't specially request these, they were part of the regularly scheduled daily activities. I got the impression that the woman running them was not part of the regular cruise staff, since she mentioned packing all the mateirals we used and urged us to take extras since she didn't want to repack them to take home with her. :)

Happy cruising,

Susan

I have done many cruises where they have had dance lessons of all kinds. By that I mean maybe an hour at the most on one or two days. Check the cruise compasses and see if they have them when you board.

What you are asking for is a lot of lessons with all those dances you have listed. Music, instructors, available dancing areas?? Plus, what appears to be a lot of time.

I do not think that you are going to get RCCL to arrange anything like that for you. The crew is off in port when the passengers are..

I believe the CD on the ships is in charge and is not going to change their schedule for a group of passengers request. Can you imagine what the next passenger might request?

Have you tried to research for the cruises that are specifically sailing with dancing instructors on them who give lessons during the cruise.. They do have them.

Actually, I just remembered my neighbor took them before she cruised. She got a husband that way.:D Found him on the cruise. ;)

Actually, RCI does do crafts. We had crafts sessions on every sea day of our Panana Canal repositioning cruise. To clarify, we didn't specially request these, they were part of the regularly scheduled daily activities. I got the impression that the woman running them was not part of the regular cruise staff, since she mentioned packing all the mateirals we used and urged us to take extras since she didn't want to repack them to take home with her. :)

Happy cruising,

Susan

Susan - I see you are sailing the Noordam later this year. I was on her in March. I'm not a big HAL fan but I love that ship! Have a great time!

...because I cannot help but wonder if they do not already make arrangements for conferences and special cruises - but I assume that the group has to be pretty large to get more than just space to do something yourself. I have seen "scrapbooking" cuises, "jewelrly making" cruises organized by groups other than the cruise line itself. Just a thought!:)

Happy cruising,

Susan

Sorry, Just had to say Hey!!! to a fellow Austinite:)

My Henry is cuter than yours. :D

Eric did it for me. :)

OH!! THAT'S who Henry is!!!!!!!!!

(I like your mousie more, Alexis :) Is there any way for Eric to make an avatar of mousie jumping on Henry or something? ;))

Oh, wait, DOH! Your Henry has MOUSIE EARS!!!!!!!!

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY cute.

on my last Princess Cruise they had exactly what you are asking about, most afternoons in the disco they taught classic dance steps, like cha cha, rhumba, foxtrot, etc., it was fun and we had a good time. It was very well attended, had a wriggle to get room on the floor in fact- or look dangerous as you practiced, lol! I am not suggesting you leave RC for princess- did I mention it was our LAST princess cruise- but those classes are available on a ship near you. Best of luck.

OH!! THAT'S who Henry is!!!!!!!!!

(I like your mousie more, Alexis :) Is there any way for Eric to make an avatar of mousie jumping on Henry or something? ;))

Oh, wait, DOH! Your Henry has MOUSIE EARS!!!!!!!!

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY cute.

I am so glad you guys are OK. Todays news said the Princess was human error by a junior officer. Thank goodness it was discovered what did it.

I would like my mouse to be vacuuming with Henry, (not jumping on him:o ) but I think that is impossible to do.

Hi Nola,

I hope you did not get too discouraged from some of your answers. Planning for a large group is sometimes a thankless task.

If there is a dance instructor on board or maybe even of the normal members of the entertainment staff, you might be able to arrange for a private dance class. Most likely they will want a fee for the class. On some other lines the reason that they have the free classes is to encourage individuals to sign up for private lessons. So maybe you will be able to arrange a private class after you get onboard. The only thing that I think you may find out ahead of time is whether there is an instructor on board. Maybe you should post and ask for daily compass for your ship to see if there are lessons being offered on it currently.

And I think I would keep trying the customer service people for ideas. If you are willing to pay for the class; I think you have a good shot at arranging something. FYI the dance classes on land that I have taken run about $10 pp per lesson.

Susan - I see you are sailing the Noordam later this year. I was on her in March. I'm not a big HAL fan but I love that ship! Have a great time!

Thanks for writing. I love to hear that others enjoyed the ships we are planning to sail. Did you sail out of New York or was it a European sailing? What did you particularly like about her?

We've sailed her sisters Zuiderdam and Westerdam - liked the latter a bit better, but we've enjoyed all of our cruises, HAL and RCI.

Happy cruising,

Susan

Sorry, Just had to say Hey!!! to a fellow Austinite:)

Hi There, Sarah! I live in NW Austin, in the Parmer and McNeil area. And the rush hour traffic is reallly getting to me! Where are you?

Susan

Thanks for writing. I love to hear that others enjoyed the ships we are planning to sail. Did you sail out of New York or was it a European sailing? What did you particularly like about her?

We've sailed her sisters Zuiderdam and Westerdam - liked the latter a bit better, but we've enjoyed all of our cruises, HAL and RCI.

Happy cruising,

Susan

First - Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread.

Susan - I sailed from NYC on the 11day southern caribbean itinerary. We booked the day before she sailed; it was my first HAL cruise and I knew little about them. Below is a link to the review I posted when I returned. The NYC sailway is great (and so convenient), the itinerary was incredible, the ship is small (for me) but manageable and comfortable, cabin was awesome, and you must try the hyrdopool / thermal suite. Have fun!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=315149

Archived