My opinion (for what it is worth)why some people come away disappointed

Peachypooh

I am no means the leading authority on why people think the way they do about a certain ship or a certain sailing but I will venture to say that it can be said that both the passenger and (only a little)NCL contribute to if someone comes away disappointed. Some passengers have unrealistic expectations on what to expect and I think it goes across all cabin categories. Some people in the less expensive cabins expect Haven type attention and Haven people expect "being President of the Company" type attention. Not everyone but some. NCL is pretty good about trying to have an excellent experience for everyone but if you look at the ads it does tend to make it seem like you jump on board and everything is going to work out flawlessly. That's advertising and people have to realize that just because you are on a ship doesn't mean you have been transported to an alternative universe where things are magical (exaggerating here to make a point). I get on a cruise and think this way 1. I am in a floating hotel 2. I am on this floating hotel with 2-3K other passengers 3. The crew works very hard and can sometimes have a bad day (I once had a concierge that was doing nothing but then I found out he had a horrible toothache and was counting the minutes until he could disembark in Bermuda to have it taken care of). 4. I am so fortunate to be able to have a vacation after years of health and money issues. So to sum it up be realistic and look at the advertising as just that advertising. I love NCL and will continue to cruise with them.

I am no means the leading authority on why people think the way they do about a certain ship or a certain sailing but I will venture to say that it can be said that both the passenger and (only a little)NCL contribute to if someone comes away disappointed. Some passengers have unrealistic expectations on what to expect and I think it goes across all cabin categories. Some people in the less expensive cabins expect Haven type attention and Haven people expect "being President of the Company" type attention. Not everyone but some. NCL is pretty good about trying to have an excellent experience for everyone but if you look at the ads it does tend to make it seem like you jump on board and everything is going to work out flawlessly. That's advertising and people have to realize that just because you are on a ship doesn't mean you have been transported to an alternative universe where things are magical (exaggerating here to make a point). I get on a cruise and think this way 1. I am in a floating hotel 2. I am on this floating hotel with 2-3K other passengers 3. The crew works very hard and can sometimes have a bad day (I once had a concierge that was doing nothing but then I found out he had a horrible toothache and was counting the minutes until he could disembark in Bermuda to have it taken care of). 4. I am so fortunate to be able to have a vacation after years of health and money issues. So to sum it up be realistic and look at the advertising as just that advertising. I love NCL and will continue to cruise with them.

Go fish:evilsmile:

99% of the time when I read about someone having a negative experience, the things they mentioned wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Even if they would have, I can still add up all their complaints, and it still would work out to be an overwhelmingly positive experience. Yeah, sometimes significant things go wrong. More often it's about attitude though.

You can read two reviews by different people for the same cruise and get totally different reports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! I absolutely agree with this. It's all about your expectations. I'm not saying that anyone should lower their expectations, but it's important to be reasonable. As the OP said, everyone has a rough day, even trained staff that are taught not to show their frustrations. You can also plan every detail of your cruise and unexpected things happen - weather-related, medical emergencies, anything really. Just keep a positive attitude and remember that you're on vacation. I am one that believes that any day at sea is better than a day at the office. I look back on some parts of my cruises that I was unhappy with, and then I learn from that for the next time. Overall, NCL (and I'm sure other lines do this too) has gone out of their way to make me feel special as a passenger, and that's why I continue to go back. If I can be treated great even in an inside room, that's pretty awesome.

I work in a highly seasonal tourist town. I often see the worst of people in the daily course of my job, especially during the summer. When I am on vacation on a cruise, I choose not to sweat the small stuff.

I agree with the OP. I feel you can either dwell on the negative and let the disappointment ruin part of the vacation you have paid for, or you can address the issue or let it roll off and focus on the positive.

My DW and I choose to focus on the positive. I could be at work dealing with grumpy people.

As you can see in my signature, we have been on so many NCL cruises ... we have been in all sorts of cabins ... we cruise for our budget, itinerary and enjoyment. To us, the NCL ships are our floating resorts. We board and start to enjoy whatever bars, restaurants, etc, and it takes us to places we would otherwise have to fly to.

Bad service? eh? We are easy going and pleasant to severs and receive excellent service.

Bad meals? Can't remember - all meals have been good and we do not have to cook!

We have not had a bad cruise.

I agree with your post. There is an unrealistic sense of entitlement that can never be truly met for some people.I also think people confuse availability of extra cost options with being forced to buy them. So many complaints about "nickel and dimeing" are really about wanting everything to be free. I would rather have options and choose what I want, like good coffee or better wine. Attitude can make or break any vacation.

99% of the time when I read about someone having a negative experience, the things they mentioned wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Even if they would have, I can still add up all their complaints, and it still would work out to be an overwhelmingly positive experience. Yeah, sometimes significant things go wrong. More often it's about attitude though.

I agree 100%. A 'bad' day on a cruise ship is still better than an AWESOME day at work !! :cool:

Good post OP, I think attitude is number one. I am willing to bet, regardless of what they want us to believe most people who are disappointed do not take life lightly and expect perfection. They look for little details that really shouldn't matter. The other issue is with paying too much attention to reviews. People who have a pre conceived idea of what they will get, positive or negative are often those who complain. Read a few negative remarks and they look for the negatives; read too many raves and they expect everything to be over the top.

Some times staff members are away from home when not good things happen at home. I was on The Jewel in Alaska when the earthquakes in Nepal where happening. Very tough on the Security people from Nepal but some passengers went out of there way to ask about their families while others were very rude.

Last week on The Jewel in Alaska, the Restaurant Manager became a Grandfather of the first time. A couple of rough days for him while he was waiting for his daughter in law waited to give birth. Even the Captain made mention of it in The Farewell Show.

I also think people confuse availability of extra cost options with being forced to buy them. So many complaints about "nickel and dimeing" are really about wanting everything to be free. I would rather have options and choose what I want, like good coffee or better wine.

The nickel-and-dime crowd tend to be people who booked based on price, then complain that they don't get the same services as the other cruises they didn't book in the first place because those were too expensive.

It's the same reason I laugh at most one-star reviews of budget airlines.

I agree with the OP in part. We all choose our attitude. Some of us just make different choices.

I have seen people try to browbeat staff over the smallest thing, and the poor staff just has to stand there and take it. The restaurant isn't open immediately after the life boat drill, and some passenger is telling the host they haven't eaten in hours and the ship cannot starve them. They literally threatened to get off the boat right then, and I was like "Yes, please."

The first day of any cruise is the worst: stress about getting to the port on time, lines to check in, waiting to board, herds of fellow lost travelers blocking the passageways, confusion about where anything is, long lines at customer service, waiting for cabin, life boat drill, and just a general feeling of chaos. And, boarding day is a ridiculously busy day for the staff who are trying to turn the ship around in an incredible short amount of time.

Maybe if everyone took a chill pill until about 9:00pm on the first day of the cruise, they wouldn't start out behind the 8 ball.

Then, after 9:00pm, greet staff with a friendly hello instead of a curt drink order, make eye contact, and count your blessings. Make small talk with fellow passengers while waiting for the elevator, offer to share a table in the crowded buffet, and introduce yourself to the people on the loungers next to you. If you choose a happy attitude, you will be amazed by how it changes your interactions with staff and your fellow cruisers.

Each night, take time to stand at the railing on the stern of the ship in the moonlight and watch all your stress, all your cares, and all your woes churn away in the wake behind the ship.