Arrival Time of Coaches Southampton

capegirl

A friend took his first (and last) coach transfer from St. Pancras to Southampton on 13th July. The coach was an hour and a half late arriving at St. Pancras to embark the passengers. This may have been caused by demonstrations due to the visit of the U.S. president. Although few demonstrations were in the vicinity of St. Pancras, there was considerable re-routing of traffic from central London.

There was a further delay of an hour and a half getting to Southampton, due partly to heavy traffic and the driver's extended smoke break en route. Arrival at the Ocean Terminal was about 4:00 p.m. At the time when all passengers should have been on board there was a huge crowd checking in, so there must have been other delays than this one coach. When our friend got on board the muster drill was taking place.

A friend took his first (and last) coach transfer from St. Pancras to Southampton on 13th July. The coach was an hour and a half late arriving at St. Pancras to embark the passengers. This may have been caused by demonstrations due to the visit of the U.S. president. Although few demonstrations were in the vicinity of St. Pancras, there was considerable re-routing of traffic from central London.

There was a further delay of an hour and a half getting to Southampton, due partly to heavy traffic and the driver's extended smoke break en route. Arrival at the Ocean Terminal was about 4:00 p.m. At the time when all passengers should have been on board there was a huge crowd checking in, so there must have been other delays than this one coach. When our friend got on board the muster drill was taking place.

I was on an Intercruise transfer from Glasgow on the 13th which also arrived late, just before 4pm. And this was having left Glasgow early, at about 3.30am, before our scheduled time of 4am! There were major traffic problems throughout England, not sure if they were related to the visit or not as on our return journey on 10 August, we had another 12 hour trip, and that was with the drivers minimising our breaks as much as possible. For the price, I would use them again to get to the ship, as we had the reassurance on the way down that the ship would wait for us, within reason, but for coming home I'd be tempted to look into a train from Southampton to London and then train to Glasgow.

I see that coach transfers are/were available from St Pancras to S'hampton.

Are they also provided in the opposite direction, catching the Eurostar to Paris post 1st Nov. Canary Islands cruise and wonder if that would be a viable way to get from S'hampton to St Pancras.

Although I have never used a Cunard transfer to the ship due to the many complaints I have heard, I have frequently used the transfers from the ship in Southampton. They have left promptly and always arrived at the destination in a reasonable time. For those who are on the lower decks and not Diamond members of the Cunard World Club, an advantage of booking these transfers is the early disembarkation.

Thanks, haven't found anything on the Cunard site referring to these but most cruises we've done seem to offer some form of transfer. Will try to get some further confirmation before committing to a Eurostar booking.

Cheers T & M

Thanks, haven't found anything on the Cunard site referring to these but most cruises we've done seem to offer some form of transfer. Will try to get some further confirmation before committing to a Eurostar booking.

Cheers T & M

We find that information on the booking site. You can start the booking procedure and there will be a list of pre and post-voyage options of hotels and transfers. It gives the origins and destinations of the various transfers and the cost. A travel agent can add the cost of the transfer to the booking at any time.

Transfers from the ship can also be booked on board. From my experience it is often more expensive booking it on board than in advance.

We have also used a "car service" several times for a transfer. Smiths for Airports is the one we have used. They get good reviews on this forum and the cost is not too much more than the coach transfer if there is more than one person.