Sewing machine in your Cabin for a quilter.

cawpaw

We will be sailing next year on the Oosterdam to Hawaii. My wife is a quilter and would like to bring her sewing machine for the sea days. Is this allowed? We are in a SY cabin and it looks there is a place to put it with a plug nearby.

2nd question, she also wants to bring a mini travel iron for pressing the quilt seams.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In an SY or anything outside the Pinnacle Suite, I don't know that she would have a good table for a sewing machine. There is only a knee high coffee table and it isn't large and I think it is glass too. The window desk and makeup tables are both rather shallow for sewing.

You're welcome. My father-in-law brought a travel iron onto our last cruise and won a free trip to the naughty room.

He also won a free trip to the naughty-claiming room upon returning to Miami (NCL). It's not a big deal for us because we were just driving back to Fort Lauderdale. If you have a plane to catch it could ruin your day.

I'm assuming you are driving because of the sewing machine. If not, and you are not flying, "Respect."

7VQqUuW1ii0

In an SY or anything outside the Pinnacle Suite, I don't know that she would have a good table for a sewing machine. There is only a knee high coffee table and it isn't large and I think it is glass too. The window desk and makeup tables are both rather shallow for sewing.

In a Neptune suite, perhaps the dressing table but I think it would be awkward manipulating fabric for quilting Bringing a full size portable sewing machine is really not practical.

You're welcome. My father-in-law brought a travel iron onto our last cruise and won a free trip to the naughty room.

He also won a free trip to the naughty-claiming room upon returning to Miami (NCL). It's not a big deal for us because we were just driving back to Fort Lauderdale. If you have a plane to catch it could ruin your day.

I'm assuming you are driving because of the sewing machine. If not, and you are not flying, "Respect."

We will be driving to San Diego. That's what got her thinking about her sewing machine. :-)

We will be driving to San Diego. That's what got her thinking about her sewing machine. :-)

On Hawaii cruises there are classes making Hawiian necklaces ,wrist & ankle bracelets out of shells . Also hukalele lessons ie .would your wife want to miss those ? There is Hawaiian music as well . all to get folks into the spirit of Alhoa :D

I figured the iron would be a no but because the travel iron is so small that it might have been OK. Thanks for the quick reply.

NO, NO, AND NO - PLEASE DON'T TRY TO SNEAK THIS IN. Please understand what is at stake to other passengers - fire hazards are a peril to us all.

I worked some cruises where there were a group of quilting ladies onboard. They had received permission to bring on their sewing machines which were used (and stored for the duration of the voyage) in the Half Moon Room. So, they were not allowed to take the machines to their cabins.

Also, be advised that this was a group of up to twenty ladies so NOT an individual endeavor which is what you are inquiring about. Call HAL Ship Services on Monday and pose the question to them. This type of request will need prior permission

As others have already correctly stated, traveling irons are a No No and will result in a trip to the "naughty room" of the ship upon embarking, as well as a trip to the "naughty table" inside the terminal upon disembarkation to re-claim that bad boy

Edited by Copper10-8

7VQqUuW1ii0

Awesome commercial dude! :D

Thank you for the tip. It was hard to tell from the Internet how much room there would be.

Back in the day......way back in the day......quilt blocks were made by hand.....

She might think about a new project using a very old method.........or even Hawaiian Hand Applique on a fun cruise to Hawaii....:)

She likes your idea of the applique. She said she has plenty of things she can do without her machine. She just thought it might be fun to do look out at at the ocean while sewing.

I worked some cruises where there were a group of quilting ladies onboard. They had received permission to bring on their sewing machines which were used (and stored for the duration of the voyage) in the Half Moon Room. So, they were not allowed to take the machines to their cabins.

Also, be advised that this was a group of up to twenty ladies so NOT an individual endeavor which is what you are inquiring about. Call HAL Ship Services on Monday and pose the question to them. This type of request will need prior permission

As others have already correctly stated, traveling irons are a No No and will result in a trip to the "naughty room" of the ship upon embarking, as well as a trip to the "naughty table" inside the terminal upon disembarkation to re-claim that bad boy

Not sure I want to mention quilt cruises. That just sounds expensive. Thank you for all of your advice.:D