Opinions please on Haven access

maja651

Yes this kind of topic is always beaten to death and always brings the "best" out in people :o However this situation is unique and was really a simple question. Usually the threads are about Haven passengers who are requesting priority boarding or lunch at Cagneys with their non-Haven guests. The jewel class ships give all suites whether they are Haven or not priority boarding and breakfast and lunch in Cagneys. Access to the Haven pool area is only for Haven suites. The OP stated that they have an owners suite booked for only 2 people. There are adjacent suites booked with a total of 3 more people. Clearly they could have booked these 3 people in the owners suite since there would be plenty of room. However they booked 2 additional suites next door that are not Haven suites. The OP was not asking permission to enter the Haven pool area but only the Haven sundeck. Good gosh, they will be stealing sunshine from the Haven sundeck :o Its very possible it wont be allowed but it was agreed even by the OP they are not requesting access to the Haven complex. They could have booked into the Owners suite but paid bigger bucks to NCL for their own suites. Since the rules of the suites on the Jewel class ships allows them to pre board together and eat together in the Haven restaurant maybe the sundeck will be too much? Who knows. But its so petty to engage in personal insults for such a trivial question. They could have cheaped out and booked everyone in the owners suite. But they spread out and booked their own adjacent suites. One of them is paying double occupancy for a suite for one person next to the owners suite to be near their friends in the owners suite. To make it even more trivial, the OP asked for this access on the port day when most of the ship will be off the ship. I would be surprised if this is not allowed. Does anyone think the sundeck is going to be packed on a port day? In any event its up to NCL. I don't see this as so many are trying to portray this as non-Haven guests trying to mooch Haven perks.

Because that is exactly what it is. A Haven guest who thinks their situation is so special that NCL should bend the rules for their non Haven friends. If you want to be guaranteed access than you should pay for it rather than everyone thinking that there should be an exception for them.

Ok, my last post on this and I hope the last post in this thread.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you for providing them. Thanks in particular to those who were kind in providing them. In a sea of negativity it's nice to have some kind, non-judgmental people chime in (whether they agree with me or not).

I have a solution and know what I'm going to do. Let's let this thread die. PLEASE.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you for providing them. Thanks in particular to those who were kind in providing them. In a sea of negativity it's nice to have some kind, non-judgmental people chime in (whether they agree with me or not).

I have a solution and know what I'm going to do. Let's let this thread die. PLEASE.

LOL...stop responding and bumping it up then. (again).

Seriously though, just flag it and ask the mods to lock or delete it. Simple.

I understand. I remember when I was new to CC, (not saying you are), I started a thread and was pretty much flamed. I dusted off the ashes and got up and got back on that horse.

Even though we disagreed I want to wish you a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The thing is....it isn't just about you and your particular cruise. Many, many people come to Cruise Critic for information. If it isn't made perfectly clear that those without Haven access shouldn't be in the Haven, imagine what would happen. EVERYONE thinks that their situation is different. It could be something as simple as "....my best friend of 30 years is sailing with us and doesn't have Haven access.....an extra 2 people isn't a big deal...." but if everyone thought that way, the Haven (on any ship) would be overcrowded. Now, imagine the people with Haven access who are stuck with a Haven experience that is filled with people who shouldn't have Haven access.

It's not the number of people. It's what those people are and aren't entitled to use based on their booked stateroom. Should everyone in a (non-Haven) suite who paid what your friends paid have Haven access also?

Again, it isn't the number of people that is an issue. The H2 DOS or H4 Family Villa on Escape (for ex.) sleeps 6. If 2 people are staying in that suite, they aren't given an "extra" 4 spots in the Haven to give to whomever booked a stateroom that doesn't have Haven access.

Many of the people responding aren't just responding to you. They are giving information that will be seen by those who are just lurking.

That’s exactly the issue - lots of people think their situation is unique.

If the concierge opens that precedent, soon enough the haven will be just an additional lounge space for all in the ship.

With all due respect, it truly is a trade out. To book everyone in the larger suite you are giving up some privacy and in more cramped quarters to gain full haven access for all. And by doing so NCL is able to sell that other suite or two by full fare or upsell.

And you said they could have booked the additional 3 pax in the Owners suite? Thought the max is 4. We booked the DOS on Epic last March for 3. Cannot imagine 2 more.

Non haven guests are not allowed in the haven. The OP's friends included. They paid for and should receive certain suite perks but not haven.

It is possible to have a conversation and disagree without insults. Plenty of us have done just that. We should not be criticized just for disagreeing with the OP.

That is correct - the OS on the Jewel class has max 4 people. I was wondering why the solo didn't book in the OS to save the high suite price and single supplement.

Although the OS on Jewel class only have a curtain separating main bedroom and living room there is the half bath in the living room.

Gee, if this is a port day then the main pool and sundeck should be empty too. So there should be no problem with you joining your friends in an area everyone in your group is entitled to be in. Super easy solution.

Great solution, instead of trying to steal or sneak your way into the Haven, get a non-Haven spot where you can all enjoy your time together and you won't have a guilty conscience.

I believe in following the rules and you can't go wrong.

In all honesty the sundeck in the Haven Jewell class ships is somewhat unpleasant. It is always so windy (even in port) and even tho they upgraded the loungers it is just not the greatest. Plus you are far away from food and drink service. If they don't let you invite your friends it is no great loss.

I don't get why you would even want to use the Haven sundeck if you have an Owner's suite....isn't there ample room on your own balcony for five people, completely private from the rest of the ship? And since you are connecting to your friends cabins, couldn't you even have the partitions opened?

That said....I agree with those saying the Haven area should only be for those with 'legal' Haven access....even if it's underused....

I will make another analogy....I have paid a premium to book a Studio cabin traveling solo....for more than I could have paid for a standard Inside, including a single supplement. One of the reasons I booked it was looking forward to enjoy the perk of exclusive access to the Studio Lounge, at all times.

I was disturbed to read a post by someone on an upcoming cruise, bragging how he had "the best of everything", saying that his friends with children had a nearby balcony cabin, and he had a Studio, so that he could enjoy their balcony at times, (which is okay), and that he would bring them into the Studio Lounge to enjoy the espresso machine and snacks (which is not okay)....

NCL created these connecting suites for a reason. Gosh I remember the craziness where parents would stay in the owners suite but booked their kids in the connecting/adjacent suite and people went off the rails that the kids should not be allowed in the Haven. For real? Annoyed? The Jewel class ships offer flexibility to NCL and their passengers in the way they are set up. The amount of money these passengers are paying for an owners suite and 2 adjacent suites for such a small amount of people should allow them to shower with the Captain let alone use a chair on a certain sundeck :o

Everything in life is not black or white. There are gray areas. Some should not fret day and night worrying about other people's vacation. The Jewel is an experienced ship and crew and this is not such a complex issue some want to make it out to be. All this over a chair LOL

Edited by david_sobe

NCL created these connecting suites for a reason. Gosh I remember the craziness where parents would stay in the owners suite but booked their kids in the connecting/adjacent suite and people went off the rails that the kids should not be allowed in the Haven.
NCL has changed things over the years as far as "Haven suite connected to a non-Haven suite". The "4 adults in suite connected to 4 children...all 8 get Haven.." is no longer allowed. Even the newest build (Bliss) has balcony connected to suite but afaik, the connected balcony does not get Haven access.

Yes, many peope have been allowed to do what "seems" to make sense. "If the bookings are connected and the staterooms are connected, the Haven benefits should be connected..." but that's not how NCL officially wants to do things.

I don't get why you would even want to use the Haven sundeck if you have an Owner's suite....isn't there ample room on your own balcony for five people, completely private from the rest of the ship? And since you are connecting to your friends cabins, couldn't you even have the partitions opened?

That said....I agree with those saying the Haven area should only be for those with 'legal' Haven access....even if it's underused....

I will make another analogy....I have paid a premium to book a Studio cabin traveling solo....for more than I could have paid for a standard Inside, including a single supplement. One of the reasons I booked it was looking forward to enjoy the perk of exclusive access to the Studio Lounge, at all times.

I was disturbed to read a post by someone on an upcoming cruise, bragging how he had "the best of everything", saying that his friends with children had a nearby balcony cabin, and he had a Studio, so that he could enjoy their balcony at times, (which is okay), and that he would bring them into the Studio Lounge to enjoy the espresso machine and snacks (which is not okay)....

Yes, the OS has a huge front balcony and a double-wide side balcony so plenty of room.

Plus the room gets 3 bottles of booze, unlimited in room water and soda so it is a pretty good place to hang out.

NCL created these connecting suites for a reason. Gosh I remember the craziness where parents would stay in the owners suite but booked their kids in the connecting/adjacent suite and people went off the rails that the kids should not be allowed in the Haven. For real? Annoyed? The Jewel class ships offer flexibility to NCL and their passengers in the way they are set up. The amount of money these passengers are paying for an owners suite and 2 adjacent suites for such a small amount of people should allow them to shower with the Captain let alone use a chair on a certain sundeck :o

Everything in life is not black or white. There are gray areas. Some should not fret day and night worrying about other people's vacation. The Jewel is an experienced ship and crew and this is not such a complex issue some want to make it out to be. All this over a chair LOL

Up until a few years ago (roughly 2011?) most of the suites only had an occupancy of 2 so kids had to go somewhere else. Then NCL made suites able to handle a 3rd or 4th pax so things changed.