Ketchikan Ideas????

ajtraveler66

Perhaps consider the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman tour...especially if you're a Deadliest Catch fan...or even if you're not.

Definitely the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman excursion if you are a photographer and like to photograph lots of swooping eagles.

P5050038.jpg

What would you recommend we do while in Ketchikan? We really don't care that much about seeing totum poles or doing a lumbering excursion.

Creek Street?

Nature ideas?

Just walking around?

Look forward to your thoughts.

We did a Kayak tour with Southeast Kayaks then walked Creek Street, Married Man’s Trail, daw the fish ladder and did some shopping.

Something unique that we also considered was snorkeling. It is something most would never think of being available in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also did a kayak tour with Southeast Kayaks and were very happy with it! We were there in early May so we were the only two on the tour and they were still training guides, so we had 4 of them! It was very cool. Saw a few humpbacks quite close up. Unfortunately it started to rain quite hard towards the tail end and we cut the kayaking short due to wind. Instead we had more time on their mother boat to enjoy some salmon treats and hot tea. Highly recommend this group.

It's expensive, but if you are interested in flight seeing, Michelle @ Island Wings does a great tour in to the Misty Fjords National Monument. She doesn't narrate per se, but she does have this wonderful music playing as you are flying. It just gels with the scenery so much it brought tears to my eyes. Plus it was really cool to take off and land on water - twice as she took us to an inlet to let us out and walk around to explore a little.

Not sure when you will be there, but our Misty Fjords bear-watching tour in early September several years ago with Island Wings was amazing. Only twelve people are allowed on the viewing platform above a creek. During our 2 hr. visit we saw 14 bears catching salmon and 6 cubs.

I couldn’t decide what to do either. I had the same thoughts as you about Ketchikan. We’re going in July and decided to go salmon fishing. Great part is we’ll get to ship back our catch. Hoping it’s going to be as great as I’m envisioning. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like to fish you can do it for cheap off one of bridges for some huge salmon. Buy a license on the dock next to the ship bring your own pole with yah or rent on the street. I had a blast catching fish and giving them away to anyone that wanted one, till I landed a monster that broke my pole in half :D

Zipline with Alaska Canopy!

Otherwise to do something low key and inexpensive, walk Creek Street - Dolly's House is interesting but not worth the price of admission, imho. Head up to the Totem Heritage Center - the Deer Mountain Fish Hatchery is right next to it - had a run in with a large black bear walking up that hill to it! Otherwise, there's Totem Bight State Park or do like us and did most of our souvenir shopping here.......