St Thomas Beaches recent update, anyone?

mail4mel

I have been researching the different beach option in St Thomas since we will be there in 3 weeks. We are on 1 of 2 ships in port that day. We are looking for a beach that has some good swimming (kids are great swimmers), possibly some snorkeling or something to look at under water, food/drinks, rental of lounges. I have had difficulty finding post hurricane info. Don't want an overly crowded sardine beach, but not empty either. From what I have seen, Magens Bay, Coki beach and Sapphire have been the top runners. Any recent input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are many recent updates on all the beaches if you read some of the recent posts. Those who have recently posted may not want to post again and there's no guarantee they will post again. Bottom line is all updates have been very positive. Each day is better than day before because there is improvement somewhere every day.

Magan’s Bay Beach is very popular, but costly.

We paid $8.00 each, each way for taxi = $32.00

Admission $5.00 each = $10.00

Chair rental $8.00 each = $$16.00

Unbrella Rental $10.00

Tip for setup $5.00

Total $73.00 for two

Unbrella Rental $10.00

Tip for setup $5.00

Total $73.00 for two

Does Popular = super crowded? How many ships were in port? I have heard reports that there is barely a square of sand to sit on when it is crowded. With two ships in port, will it be crowded or just kinda busy but not sardine like?

Does Popular = super crowded? How many ships were in port? I have heard reports that there is barely a square of sand to sit on when it is crowded. With two ships in port, will it be crowded or just kinda busy but not sardine like?

There were two ships in port last week when we were there. It was not crowded at all.

Other than cost, the only negative was the 20 minute taxi ride over the mountain.

There were two ships in port last week when we were there. It was not crowded at all.

Other than cost, the only negative was the 20 minute taxi ride over the mountain.

Thanks.. that is helpful. Someone from our cruise group posted a person sardine filled beach photo on their last trip and it did not look like fun at Magens. I am prepared for the cost, its still cheaper than an excursion for 4.

Unbrella Rental $10.00

Tip for setup $5.00

Total $73.00 for two

Wow it does add up quick when you break it down like that. Get you a couple of drinks and lunch and you are pushing over $120 for a beach day.

Emerald Beach is close to town ( even walkable ) - has chairs and umbrellas to rent ( inexpensive ), drinks and food to purchase if you like. It is usually quiet and uncrowded. Have been there many times in the past but not since the hurricane - we will be there next month. Taxi fare is only $4 or $5. and readily available.

eclue:cool:

My wife and I will be going to St. Thomas in November. Hopefully the beaches will be better then. We have never been before and have no clue as to which beach would be good. I'd like one where the water is relatively calm and clear (I have an underwater camera I'd like to use and perhaps photograph something interesting underwater). Last year we were in Nassau staying at Atlantis (BIG mistake) and were disappointed that the beach there was closed every day due to high surf.

St Thomas beaches are vastly different from beaches in Bahamas and nearby Cuba. Not nearly as cold and windy in winter.

Many of the St Thomas and St John beaches are in protected coves so water is calmer. The VI has also tried to protect some mangroves from development so the guided tours in the mangroves on St Thomas and St John give you opportunities to use your camera. They can probably give you tips.

Just returned from St Thomas. We had an enjoyable day touring the island at our own pace with a rental car and using google maps on our phone. Our US iphone worked without any additional plan since St Thomas is US island.

We rented a car from Budget for $91 including gas and full insurance. We normally just rely on insurance included with credit card, but after seeing all the scrapes/dents/damage on cars and having never driven on left side, we added full coverage. Budget staff Serena and Byron B were friendly and accommodating with vehicle request and directions. We had no issues, but there were close calls on narrow roads due to other drivers driving fast and not looking. Had to call Budget 800 number to make reservation as port location would not come up automatically at Budget website. Allowed us to rent a Jeep, but they had no jeeps. We actually liked having a car with a trunk for our things. To rent online, type in CT3 for location and Havensight Port will come up. Walked off ship and right into Budget. Their local website makes you reserve with credit card and has fee if you do not cancel by set date. We were worried about change in itinerary and no phone at sea to cancel if things changed. For us, St Thomas was a last minute change from Tortola.

Anyway, it was enjoyable seeing the island, going to various lookout points and stopping at two beaches. We even returned midday and parked next to our ship to run in for lunch. As far as beaches, Sapphire was quite a distance with traffic and did not look any different than Emerald Beach. We wish we had just gone to Emerald first to have more time there. The airport is right next door and it was enjoyable watching planes come and go. Beach was clean and water clear. My husband did some snorkeling. The hotel there rents chairs for $7 pp and then has bathrooms, a bar and a restaurant. And it was a quick drive back to ship when it was time to leave.

The island is still recovering, but we were able to get around fine. Altered route a couple times due to major pot holes. Numerous power lines were clipped at road edge and sad signs of the hurricane destruction were still evident.

Tip: Watch prices at nearby Pueblo supermarket. Amstel light 6 pack rang up higher than posted price. Older clerk at register didn’t want to check price and was quite rude. We asked to remove and get what was supposed to be cheaper cans. They did not scan at all, so she sent bagger to get price. I followed hoping to show him Amstel bottle price and he wouldn’t even look at it. We kept smiling and apologizing trying to lighten situation, but it really was an unpleasant, unwelcoming experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a port stop here on 1/31/18. I checked this port on CC to see what others had said about the beaches. Based on that we took a taxi van from Havensight Pier to Sapphire Beach which is 2 minutes past the stop for the Red Hook ferry to St. John. The fare per person was $10 one way. The roads were clear and we saw much reconstruction and many electrical trucks from BBC Electric of Missouri. It took about 25 minutes to get to the beach after a couple of drop-offs along the way.

We rented chaises for $9 per chaise at the kiosk and they were brought to the spot we chose. The beach is breathtakingly beautiful. We had never been there before so we can’t comment on before and after other than what the owner of the chaise concession told us. He said that they just had power restored 3.5 weeks before and still had no internet so credit cards could not be used for the rentals-cash only.

The weather that day was perfect and the sky and water so clear. The bathrooms were fully functioning and there were also changing rooms. The bar and grill restaurant (we did not use either) were open for business and there was someone down the beach renting umbrellas. It was a little windy so we decided not to rent one. We spent 2 peaceful hours there taking in the incredible scenery.

When we were ready to leave there were several taxis waiting at the entrance. We were approached by a lovely lady who offered us return service for $8 per person. She dropped me off at Havensight and took my husband and friends into downtown Charlotte Amalie.

We will be back in St. Thomas again in April and are planning to return to Sapphire Beach.

thanks for this. We know people who just went to Sapphire last week and had a really good report as well. Was there any good snorkeling there? When I mean good, like good for a kid to get excited over seeing a few different fish kind of good. Thanks again for the help.

thanks for this. We know people who just went to Sapphire last week and had a really good report as well. Was there any good snorkeling there? When I mean good, like good for a kid to get excited over seeing a few different fish kind of good. Thanks again for the help.

I don’t know about snorkeling but there were a few snorkelers in the water as well as a parasailer. The water temp was perfect and it was very clear and calm.

Please let me know your questions.

I don't mean to hijack this, but as long as you offered, my questions are: :

With 2 ships in port will Coki get crowded? If I go to Coral World will that cover the cost of admission to Coki? What food vendors are available and do you have menus/prices? Coral World and then the beach or vice versa, in order to get a chair on the beach? I appreciate your advice.

I don't mean to hijack this, but as long as you offered, my questions are: :

With 2 ships in port will Coki get crowded? If I go to Coral World will that cover the cost of admission to Coki? What food vendors are available and do you have menus/prices? Coral World and then the beach or vice versa, in order to get a chair on the beach? I appreciate your advice.

Yes, it gets crowded and it's very narrow beach. Get there as early as possible, not much sand to put your chair. There is no admission to Coki, it's free. Chair is $5 and umbrella is $10. A lot people were using their towels to seat on the sand. Food was not good, basic bar food and overpriced. One bar offered whole fish catch of the day and lobster tails. Beer was $25 per bucket of 6. Waitress came up to us and open a tab for the whole day. Coral World was closed when we were there due to hurricane damage, but it might be open when you arrive.

Thanks everyone for the info. We are headed there next week and will update when I get back. I’m leaning towards sapphire, but will see what others on our cruise that we meet up with might be doing. I have found that some of the beaches and beach bars have Facebook pages and I have been able to see some more recent photos and updates.

We went to Emerald Beach on Feb. 10th 2018. We used the facilities at Emerald Beach Hotel. Great views, calm seas, chairs were 7 or 10 dollars depends on location. Beach bar up and running and you can use the restrooms. Only down side is that there was some rocks in the water.

We went to Emerald Beach on Feb. 10th 2018. We used the facilities at Emerald Beach Hotel. Great views, calm seas, chairs were 7 or 10 dollars depends on location. Beach bar up and running and you can use the restrooms. Only down side is that there was some rocks in the water.

Thanks for the update. I'll be there in April. Always have enjoyed Emerald Beach.

Were there restaurants nearby for a quick lunch? And we don't need a daypass to use their facilites?

Also, how long was the cab ride? Thank you so much.

Were there restaurants nearby for a quick lunch? And we don't need a daypass to use their facilites?

Also, how long was the cab ride? Thank you so much.

Sitting at Emerald beach today! It was $6 per person from the Carnival pier, probably about 10-15 minutes ride. No fee to use the beach.