Eliminate Buffet or MDR?

sandpiper35

Do you fore see a time when cruise lines will go either 100% buffet or 100% dinning rooms?

If you had to make a choice, which one would you keep? Which one would you eliminate?

Would you make adjustments to the balance: Smaller buffet, bigger MDR, or the other way around Smaller MDR, bigger buffet?

Cheers.

That's a silly question.

Most people prefer having both options. Few people want to spend the time in the morning sitting at a table and being served a light breakfast, nor do people want to leave their sunchairs get dressed and be in the MDR for lunch.

It really comes down to personal choices. If you are a "buffet-only" person. Pick a cruise line that suits you best. If you prefer dinner in the MDR, having multiple dinner options in the buffet will be irrelevant.

This comes down to being an informed shopper than expecting a single ship or cruise line suiting everyones unique tastes.

It's not a silly question.

I believe at some point, not right now, where the buffets will be included in the sailing price while any dining on the main dining room will constitute a charge. Don't think so? Look how much food you have to pay for purchase now-a-days aboard at certain venues and speciality restaurants. It will happen eventually ..... to my dismay.

Dinner Buffets are somewhat new. I remember sailing in the 80s and early 90s where you were assigned early or late dining for dinner and that was it. Buffets were breakfast and lunch only and Much smaller.

I think tall is on to something. I’d thought this same thing for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you fore see a time when cruise lines will go either 100% buffet or 100% dinning rooms?

If you had to make a choice, which one would you keep? Which one would you eliminate?

Would you make adjustments to the balance: Smaller buffet, bigger MDR, or the other way around Smaller MDR, bigger buffet?

Cheers.

No chance.

I think we will see ships with that concept in the North American market in the next 5 to 7 years; no MDR. Buffets included in your fare, specialty dining is extra. They can eliminate lots of MDR space for cabins and they would need far less cabin staff than dining staff; they can eliminate potentially hundreds of positions.

I cruised in the days before there were any buffets. You were assigned either an early or late seating for all three meal (breakfast for early would start around 7 AM :(). On port days, there would only be one seating in the MDR for lunch.

I remember when cruise lines started offering a small limited buffet for breakfast and lunch. The food was set up in a sheltered location on deck and one had to find somewhere to perch to eat.

I do not see either the buffets or MDRs going away on any cruise lines that are more than a rock bottom budget entry level line. And in spite of some people's opinions, MSC is not a rock bottom budget entry level line.

And in spite of some people's opinions, MSC is not a rock bottom budget entry level line.

I agree with you on this. I have not been on the Seaside yet, but just look at the pictures, it's a beautiful luxurious ship. But MSC seems to have the price advantage over other cruise lines, and have their very own unique service style. It is an experience.

Cheers.

I agree with you on this. I have not been on the Seaside yet, but just look at the pictures, it's a beautiful luxurious ship. But MSC seems to have the price advantage over other cruise lines, and have their very own unique service style. It is an experience.

Cheers.

I wonder sometimes if MSC pricing is not due to their policy of the price one pays at booking is the price one keeps (no game playing with later price drops). Because MSC can project the amount of money that will most likely be available for a passenger per diem on each cruise, they do not need to allow for the money loss of earlier bookings demanding lower fares, OBC, or upgrades.

I think we will see ships with that concept in the North American market in the next 5 to 7 years; no MDR. Buffets included in your fare, specialty dining is extra. They can eliminate lots of MDR space for cabins and they would need far less cabin staff than dining staff; they can eliminate potentially hundreds of positions.

I believe that one of the newer Norwegian ships was supposed to be this way ...... large buffet, no dining room, lots of specialty restaurants ...... and at the last minute they decided to add the mdr.

I believe that one of the newer Norwegian ships was supposed to be this way ...... large buffet, no dining room, lots of specialty restaurants ...... and at the last minute they decided to add the mdr.

That is super interesting! Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was NcL to start the trend. Not judging because we like ncl- but they seem to lead the pack when it comes to changing the industry (first to offer pay ice cream, first to offer a speciality restaurant, first to offer studio lounges, etc...)

I wonder sometimes if MSC pricing is not due to their policy of the price one pays at booking is the price one keeps (no game playing with later price drops). Because MSC can project the amount of money that will most likely be available for a passenger per diem on each cruise, they do not need to allow for the money loss of earlier bookings demanding lower fares, OBC, or upgrades.

Did you mean that MSc does not discount pricing? Because if that’s what you meant, I’ve found that MSc discounts more than any other line closer to sailing.

I Currently have a written offer for an entry level balcony on Easter week for $479.00 which is the best quote I have by nearly 50%.

Easter sailing is expensive though. Here are prices directly off the MSc site for April. Numerous ta’ will give 10-15% in obc and MSc gives 5-10% additional off for voyager and various employments.

Since so many take offense to calling MSc a budget cruise line so ill use value instead. These look like rock bottom VALUE oriented prices to me...

3191a1268418c00a4c7c42fd4c8fe61b.jpg

The German line Aida is onto something:

These are great videos on the many buffets on each Aida ship, truly impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Aida+buffets

Discovery tour for connoisseurs

The atmosphere in the buffet restaurants is as informal as everything on board AIDA. Feast with whom and whenever you want - without table rules and fixed times . Opening times can be found in the on-line newspaper AIDA Heute. The main meals are the drinks (in the buffet restaurant) such as wine, beer and soft drinks included .

https://www.aida.de/kreuzfahrt/reisen-mit-aida/kulinarisches/buffet-restaurants.18905.html

The buffets are shown (use translate option) really look good and what a great selection.

Edited by gkbiiii

We have yet to have dinner at the buffet and don’t go to the specialties unless our TA comps us a freebie.

I do think we’ll end up there eventually, but not in this decade or the next.

I think its FAR more likely that we’ll see cruise lines testing the waters with checked bag and extra bag fees first.

NCL is usually first with creative revenue enhancements, and they’re 75% there on the dining front anyway. I wouldn’t be shocked if they updated the MDR menu and attached a nominal fee in the next 10 years and other lines followed suit within 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you mean that MSc does not discount pricing? Because if that’s what you meant, I’ve found that MSc discounts more than any other line closer to sailing.

Read my post again. I clearly stated there are no games to play with the price one chooses to pay. You book at a price you are happy with and that's it. No games with trying to get price drops, OBC, upgrades after one has chosen the fare one is willing to pay.

Of course all cruise lines will drop fares after final payment to try and sell cabins. And the prices you want to quote are in line with other prices I have seen on other lines to fill cabins.

My best deals after final payment sales have been a 4 night cruise for $100 (inside cabin) and a 10 night oceanview for $450.

Read my post again. I clearly stated there are no games to play with the price one chooses to pay. You book at a price you are happy with and that's it. No games with trying to get price drops, OBC, upgrades after one has chosen the fare one is willing to pay.

Of course all cruise lines will drop fares after final payment to try and sell cabins. And the prices you want to quote are in line with other prices I have seen on other lines to fill cabins.

My best deals after final payment sales have been a 4 night cruise for $100 (inside cabin) and a 10 night oceanview for $450.

MSC doesn’t honor price drops before final payment?