Bigger Carnival Ships vs. Smaller

crustysam

Hi all- my DH and I are new to the boards. I hope it is ok if we share the name. If not, could CC maybe tell us so we can keep this name for DH and I can get another? We are new to this but he said he posted from my phone earlier.

Anyway we are not very experienced cruisers- 6 carnivals on the Legend, Glory and Dream. Planning on booking Fantasy or Fascination (sp?) Bc of the ports and timing. What should we expect on smaller ships? Anything better or worse? Already figured out no steakhouse. Any recommendations are welcome. We aren't trying any of that controversy on here. Want to stay under the wire for angry posts but could really really use some help. Tried looking at other threads but someone always seems angry.

Hi all- my DH and I are new to the boards. I hope it is ok if we share the name. If not, could CC maybe tell us so we can keep this name for DH and I can get another? We are new to this but he said he posted from my phone earlier.

Anyway we are not very experienced cruisers- 6 carnivals on the Legend, Glory and Dream. Planning on booking Fantasy or Fascination (sp?) Bc of the ports and timing. What should we expect on smaller ships? Anything better or worse? Already figured out no steakhouse. Any recommendations are welcome. We aren't trying any of that controversy on here. Want to stay under the wire for angry posts but could really really use some help. Tried looking at other threads but someone always seems angry.

Yes, you can share the name.

IMO, I like the smaller ships. Legend is my favorite but I like the Fantasy class also. Pros - less people, shorter lines Cons - fewer balconies, less food options

Ignore the angry people...there are just some people on here (and on every other internet board) who just have the need to stir up trouble;) And you can certainly share a screen name!

Unfortunately, I can't help you with those ships, though. I am someone who needs a balcony and they have so few. Our favorite class of ships are Spirit class (Legend and Miracle are tied for us). But lots of people seem to love them!

Welcome to CC....join our addiction!:p

I am someone who needs a balcony and they have so few. Our favorite class of ships are Spirit class (Legend and Miracle are tied for us).

Isn't Spirit Class smaller also? I think around the same size as Fantasy class.

Spirit class is also my favorite but I really enjoyed the Fascination. I liked the smaller ship - it was easier to get around and it seemed like the crew benefited from having less people. Service was stellar on our sailing. But it could just be they had a great hotel director. The Fascination has had some balconies added if you like a balcony where on the Fantasy you would have to book a suite for one.

Overall, the only differences in amenities I noticed were that the buffet had fewer selections on the Fascination. Still plenty to eat, though! Nice serenity deck, and LOVED the open air section of lido that wasn't glassed in like the Conquest class ships are. Great spot for coffee in the mornings. :D

Fantasy-class are simply the best ships. Others are just too big.

Unfortunately, Carnival has positioned them as such that you have to sail the larger classes if you want to sail for 7 nights.

Hi all- my DH and I are new to the boards. I hope it is ok if we share the name.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Don't worry about the angry people-some just enjoy stirring up controversy. Sharing a name is fine.

I like the smaller classes of ships - I sailed the Dream, and she was just too big. I find every cruise has it's own identity. Even on the same ship. I've done a few back-to-backs, and I was so surprised how different they were.

Just ask any questions you have here, and someone will answer.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO crustysam: Whichever of you reads this first, welcome to these boards. My wife and I are going on our 11th Carnival cruise this fall. We have also been on the Legend, and Dream. We are going on the Glory this fall. We like the smaller ships. The larger ships have too many people and the resulting service is poor. I didn't like the cruise on the Dream. Service in the MDR wasn't up to the standard Carnival had set on earlier voyages. We also like the Triumph.Go on whatever size ship you feel comfortable on.

Welcome to CC. I cannot help you on the fantasy class ships. We've only sailed spirit class & Conquest class so far. We are going to try the Dream this fall. Just wanted to say hello, not everyone on here is angry. Most people are very friendly.

welcome! I can't offer too much b/c I have only been on two cruises. I have been on the Fantasy and the Triumph. I will say that I enjoyed the Fantasy more than the Triumph, Not b/c of the service or anything like that ~ it was wonderful on both ships.....but b/c the Triumph is bigger and had alot more people. Also, it's layout is a little hard to get used to but once you do it is good. Both ships are beautiful but I have not been on the Fantasy since her drydock.

I think it also depends on the time you go b/c we went in Feb on the Fantasy and May on the Triumph..... there were alot more families on the May cruise.

Both ships were beautiful in my opinion and I would love to sail either one of them again.

we are currently looking at booking the Magic or Conquest soon ~ but I may just go with the Elation instead... lol.

I'm learning...b/c I didn't realize so many different classes...just thought there were names of the ships and that's it. My 1st cruise will be on Destiny - I'm sure someone knows what she is!?!? Thanks.

Destiny stands alone...literally. CCL has it listed as the only Destiny class ship. Guess they jumped to building even bigger right after Destiny.

We board the ship early for embarkation and after lunch go exploring and learning our way around.

After that never had a problem getting from here to there on any ship.

Once I am booked, I start looking at Deck Plans for my ship

getting the hang of where everything is, where my cabin is, how do I get to the Dining Room.

I get the impression a lot of people don't do this (probably un-seasoned first-timers?

- or those who simply don't know that Deck Plans are available on the internet?)

To get you started, here's deck plans for Glory...

http://www.carnival.com//Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=GL&deckCode=3

My dh and I have only been on two cruises and both were small ships. We are going on the Conquest soon and am really worried about the crowds and lines.

I loved the Fantasy when we sailed on her out of New Orleans. The Promenade was so pretty to me. My only complaint was that smoke would be everywhere on the Promenade due to poor ventilation. Hopefully that will be better with the new non-smoking areas. We also stayed in a suite so that my affect my way of thinking also. But would definitely go on the Fantasy again.

We've always sailed on the biggest ship that Carnival had at the time. We were on the Dream last October and will sail her again this October.

But last month we tried the Facination out of Jacksonville and I was ver pleasantly surprised........we had a great time. We will definately sail her again!!!

Hope this helps.

Thank you all. Wife half here. We love reading all the info and just don't want to break rules or etiquette or upset anyone. I think we are booking the Fantasy. Found a room with a balcony because we tend to spend a lot of time away from the crowds on vacation. We were on the Glory and Dream and really used the Serenity deck on the Dream. Also rode the water slides a lot. Is there anywhere on the Fantasy that you all can recommend for a little quiet but still by the water slides? Also doing anytime dining for the first time. Any time at lunch they shoved us into a crowded ten top. Is it possible to have at least one romantic table for two during anytime dining on the Fantasy? Sorry if I am asking anything already answered and totally do not want to offend anyone.

Archived