Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 06

pierces

How some version of this doesn't become an "image of the year"... (I've been geeked out all afternoon watching a car orbit the earth!

(Just a screencap from the feed - but after the space center talk, I couldn't resist...)

tesla7.jpg

I guess it takes all kinds of people to want to put a car into space.

For the early Apollo test launches, they would fill the top of the rocket with water to simulate actual payloads during testing. Since SpaceEx is a private commercial venture and it's owner also owns Tesla motors, this is a brilliant and unforgettable advertising moment crowning a successful test flight. Also, the space program child in me grew up into a Sci-fi fan. There's a copy of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy in the glove compartment as well as the required towel. To top it off, the book's epic advice, "Don't Panic" is displayed on the car's LCD and is just too cool for words!

Dave

I have been including background stories with the PAW photos that explain the reason it was chosen and perhaps a short backstory. This week, I am at somewhat of a loss. This photo of a red balloon being struck by a shaft of sunlight in a darkened room could have the aftermath of a grand 40th birthday party thrown for our son but logistics and the fact that he doesn’t lean toward grand celebrations precluded one. I can think of things it could be said to represent like, “Humanity’s Anger At Life’s Injustice” but that’s art gallery speak that is usually just lipstick on a pig. The truth? I saw it when I got up to get a cup of coffee, smiled and grabbed my camera.

Simply Red

p2742498508-5.jpg

Dave

For the early Apollo test launches, they would fill the top of the rocket with water to simulate actual payloads during testing. Since SpaceEx is a private commercial venture and it's owner also owns Tesla motors, this is a brilliant and unforgettable advertising moment crowning a successful test flight. Also, the space program child in me grew up into a Sci-fi fan. There's a copy of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy in the glove compartment as well as the required towel. To top it off, the book's epic advice, "Don't Panic" is displayed on the car's LCD and is just too cool for words!

Dave

There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

How some version of this doesn't become an "image of the year"... (I've been geeked out all afternoon watching a car orbit the earth!

(Just a screencap from the feed - but after the space center talk, I couldn't resist...)

tesla7.jpg

I had to add this, I just couldn't resist.

2j424gl.jpg

February 5th was the last day of my Disney World trip, and I decided to visit Animal Kingdom, because as everyone knows, I love to photograph animals! Took a few non-animal shots too...

The Tree of Life:

original.jpg

Ring-tailed lemur, practically looking into your soul with those piercing eyes:

original.jpg

This is a cute young tiger cub, hanging out under the shade of the bamboo trees - I had to shoot this through inch-thick, kiddie-fingerprint-smeared glass:

original.jpg

On the safari truck ride, I was lucky enough to see a cheetah actually up and moving - they are constantly lying way back in a corner, enough that there's an ongoing joke that they are animatronic Disney animals, and the animatronics are broken. Today, they were working!:

original.jpg

The gorgeous female lion, resting atop her lookout rock, and seeming to want to show her good side to the camera:

original.jpg