Juneau--Whale Watching (along with) Quality Time at Mendenhall Glacier/Nugget Falls?

ajtraveler66

No doubt that when in Juneau (late June) we want to do some whale watching PLUS spend quality time (without feeling rushed) at the Mendenhall Glacier Center [Nugget Falls Trail, in particular].

I've looked at NCL's offerings, and there is an excursion that includes these two items. However, from the reviews that I've read, I got the impression that the time at the Glacier was very rushed. One person even stated that some went down to Nugget Falls and didn't get back to their connection in time.

So....are there any tour companies in Juneau that might be able to cater to our needs?

According to the itinerary, we dock at 2pm and depart at 10pm later that day.

Thanks.

We were just there in Sept 2017. We booked our whale watching with Harv & Marv and were very pleased with the experience. We had a party of 4 and there was only 1 other couple that joined us. We prebooked a taxi that took us to the glacier and he waited for us as we walked the nugget falls trail and the visitor center, about 1 1/2 hrs. The cost was cheaper for the cab than it would of been for the four of us to get bus tickets to and from the glacier and there were no lines to wait in. We also stopped at the hatchery and the taxi driver took us on a short siteseeing tour past the governor's mansion. Imo this is the best way to go.

We were there this past September and did a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier combo tour with Juneau Whale Watch tours. $135 pp and include a 2-3 hour whale watch tour (saw a lot of them, too) and then they took us to Mendenhall Glacier where we were able to spend as long as we wanted hiking to Nugget Falls, Photo Point and at the visitor's center. The last bus (from the tour) left there at 5 or 6 pm (it was starting to get dark anyway) but you could stay longer and just take a cab or the public bus back to town.

We were there this past September and did a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier combo tour with Juneau Whale Watch tours. $135 pp and include a 2-3 hour whale watch tour (saw a lot of them, too) and then they took us to Mendenhall Glacier where we were able to spend as long as we wanted hiking to Nugget Falls, Photo Point and at the visitor's center. The last bus (from the tour) left there at 5 or 6 pm (it was starting to get dark anyway) but you could stay longer and just take a cab or the public bus back to town.

I am really leaning towards this tour myself. How did you find the whale watch portion to be? Was the boat crowded? I know they aren't the biggest but they aren't the smallest either. Also if you don't mind how did the pick up portion of the tour go? Was it difficult to get from the ship to the pick up location? My FIL is traveling with us and has trouble walking long distances. I wondering if this would be difficult for him.

We were just there in Sept 2017. We booked our whale watching with Harv & Marv and were very pleased with the experience. We had a party of 4 and there was only 1 other couple that joined us. We prebooked a taxi that took us to the glacier and he waited for us as we walked the nugget falls trail and the visitor center, about 1 1/2 hrs. The cost was cheaper for the cab than it would of been for the four of us to get bus tickets to and from the glacier and there were no lines to wait in. We also stopped at the hatchery and the taxi driver took us on a short siteseeing tour past the governor's mansion. Imo this is the best way to go.

We had an amazing time with Harv and Marv also.

I am really leaning towards this tour myself. How did you find the whale watch portion to be? Was the boat crowded? I know they aren't the biggest but they aren't the smallest either. Also if you don't mind how did the pick up portion of the tour go? Was it difficult to get from the ship to the pick up location? My FIL is traveling with us and has trouble walking long distances. I wondering if this would be difficult for him.

Sorry it took so long to reply - been out of commission with the flu

Wife and I loved the whale watch portion - saw plenty of whales and saw a pair of them do what our onboard scientist called "double peduncles" or two whales on the surface repeatedly do tail slaps which he had rarely seen them do in Alaska. The boat was one of the larger, 49 passenger ones although it was only half full in early September. Had no issues finding a spot on the railings either.

The pick up spot was right by the Mt Roberts Tram station, a few hundred feet from where we docked - that was after a little bit of zig zag off the ship. Where the bus dropped us off, we had several hundred feet to the whale watch boat on the docks.

Without knowing how far your FIL can walk, its hard to say how much difficulty he will have. That being the case, I probably would dissuade you from doing the Whale Watch/Mendenhall Glacier tour as the latter portion is all walking. Just checked their website and they used to have a whale watch/Juneau City tour which might be a better choice, although the bus ride out to the whale watch boats was a mini tour in and of itself.

I see they have a new tour - whale watch and Tracy's Crab Shack. We ate at Tracy's after the glacier on our own and it seemed like it would be cheaper to do it that way unless the tour gave you priority seating - we had to wait in line for a good bit but it was well worth it.

We are going in May. We rented a car thru Juneau Car Rental Company. We are going to drive to Menenhall Glaciers on our own and spend as much time as we want. At 4pm we have a whale watching tour booked with Jayleen. We are going to drive and meet her where her boat leaves, it is 10 minutes from the glacier. My daughter just had ankle surgery and her doctor got her a handicap sticker. We will be bringing it with us.

Kathy

I am considering this one, too. For the OP, the afternoon tours take you to the glacier first w/ a specified pick-up time unlike the earlier tours that do the glacier last.

I am considering this one, too. For the OP, the afternoon tours take you to the glacier first w/ a specified pick-up time unlike the earlier tours that do the glacier last.

On our September tour, we were originally told that we would be dropped off at Mendenhall first, spend as much time as we wanted there and then get picked up for the whale watch. When we arrived for our 1:30 tour, it was flipped around where we whale watched first - I think the fact that sunset was at 7-ish has something to do with it. We preferred it that way

We are going in May. We rented a car thru Juneau Car Rental Company. We are going to drive to Menenhall Glaciers on our own and spend as much time as we want. At 4pm we have a whale watching tour booked with Jayleen. We are going to drive and meet her where her boat leaves, it is 10 minutes from the glacier. My daughter just had ankle surgery and her doctor got her a handicap sticker. We will be bringing it with us.

Kathy

Second that opinion. Don't overlook the possibility of renting a car and doing it your own. A one day car rental for us this coming May is $70 day. Entrance to Mendenhall Glacier is $5 per person. 15 minutes from port and you have GPS since we are in the states. We will be using Juneau Car Rentals near the port (a mile maximum). We have since added a whale watch tour on a 32 foot boat with a maximum of 6 people on the boat for 3 hours for $115 per person. Enjoy

Second that opinion. Don't overlook the possibility of renting a car and doing it your own. A one day car rental for us this coming May is $70 day. Entrance to Mendenhall Glacier is $5 per person. 15 minutes from port and you have GPS since we are in the states. We will be using Juneau Car Rentals near the port (a mile maximum). We have since added a whale watch tour on a 32 foot boat with a maximum of 6 people on the boat for 3 hours for $115 per person. Enjoy

Just wanted to add that, if any of your group has the Senior National Parks Pass, you can avoid that extra $5 Entrance Fee for up to four people.