Holland America adds Cuba Cruises

richwmn

I want to do a cruise stopping in Cub a but will not book any of the exisiting one being offered by HAL. I will wait until something better appeals to me. I sense the rush to get something out there to sell right away did not result in the greatest choice of itineraries. IMO I think more will soon be offered and hope they are better., or more to my liking.

Edited by sail7seas

We recently returned from a 12 day land tour of Cuba. Looking at the cruise itineraries so far, it appears that most lines are stopping at Havana, and in some cases also Cienfuegos. However, there are two lines (Azamara and Oceania) that are also calling at Santiago de Cuba. For those really wanting to see as much of Cuba as possible, I'd recommend an itinerary with Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba if timing and budget permit.

I've read too many negative comments here to risk sailing Oceania.... However, I could possibly consider Azamarrra. I am interesed to see what other ports b esides Cuban they will visit. I don't wish the whole cruise to be about Cu b a. Of course, I know many here could feel very differently.

I want to do a cruise stopping in Cub a but will not book any of the exisiting one being offered by HAL. I will wait until something better appeals to me. I sense the rush to get something out there to sell right away did not result in the greatest choice of itineraries. IMO I think more will soon be offered and hope they are better., or more to my liking.

I have to agree-the total itinerary for this cruise is not my favorite. But my husband and I aren't getting any younger and he has had some pretty severe health issues. I felt this might be our best chance to get to Cuba. And when we cruise at Christmas sometimes the dates are hard to fit for everyone's schedules. This one just sort of fell into place. Since there is no really bad day on a cruise I figured we'd go for it. If we decide once is not enough for Cuba we may try another cruise in the future.

St. Louis Sal

I've read too many negative comments here to risk sailing Oceania.... However, I could possibly consider Azamarrra. I am interesed to see what other ports b esides Cuban they will visit. I don't wish the whole cruise to be about Cu b a. Of course, I know many here could feel very differently.

We've sailed Oceania many many times. Never have had any negatives. Officers and crew all great. Meals outstanding.

Am I missing something? I've never sailed Holland America before, but was looking at an itinerary for January 2018 that looks odd. It arrives into Havana at 2pm, and departs noon the following day. No shore excursions are listed, other than 2 that are in the evening the day of arrival (one was a night club package, don't remember the other one). Since I don't think Havana is a port that you can wander around on your own, I'm reluctant to book without more information.

Am I missing something? I've never sailed Holland America before, but was looking at an itinerary for January 2018 that looks odd. It arrives into Havana at 2pm, and departs noon the following day. No shore excursions are listed, other than 2 that are in the evening the day of arrival (one was a night club package, don't remember the other one). Since I don't think Havana is a port that you can wander around on your own, I'm reluctant to book without more information.

I think cruise lines are still working to get tours set up. Nobody knows what the rules will be for cruise passengers until some time in September, when those rules are supposed to be announced. If independent touring is completely ruled out, the cruise lines will have to scramble to try to increase tour capacity or they will have very disappointed passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some excursion s announced for Decemb r() HAL cruises toCuba and one has to think similar will b e ofered for the June cruises. Between now and then, there is plenty of time for more to be added.

it has been announced that six U.S. diplomats ( though I have heard it is as many as 12 have come down with an odd illness with a number of symptoms including deafness. Apraently there is some mystery as to cause . Canada has stated at least one of their diplomats, also has come down with this illness. Before all these cruise ships head off to Havana, I suspect we may hear more about this illness.

• 1 month later...
it has been announced that six U.S. diplomats ( though I have heard it is as many as 12 have come down with an odd illness with a number of symptoms including deafness ... Before all these cruise ships head off to Havana, I suspect we may hear more about this illness.

... unless you've already been to Cuba!!! LOL :evilsmile: :evilsmile: :evilsmile:

... unless you've already been to Cuba!!! LOL :evilsmile: :evilsmile: :evilsmile:

All Americans working at U.S. Embasssy in cuba have geen ordered home,,,,,,,,,, (a)pember 29, 21)`7. announcement wswas made today that for some of those who werre atttackeede, it happened in hotel rooms. .S. has not broken ediplomatic relations with Cuba hads stated they will contine investigation and U.S. has said they will assist. Some of those cruises the freuise lines hope to sell, may not happen given this circuumstance. Speaking only for my self I have shelved any idea of going on one of those cruises in he near fuuture.

All Americans working at U.S. Embasssy in cuba have geen ordered home,,,,,,,,,, (a)pember 29, 21)`7. announcement wswas made today that for some of those who werre atttackeede, it happened in hotel rooms. .S. has not broken ediplomatic relations with Cuba hads stated they will contine investigation and U.S. has said they will assist. Some of those cruises the freuise lines hope to sell, may not happen given this circuumstance. Speaking only for my self I have shelved any idea of going on one of those cruises in he near fuuture.

Thanks for the update, sail! And I'll likely not be going on a cruise to Cuba anytime in the NEAR or DISTANT future ... too many other interesting places to visit that are not anti-USA ...

I have already cancelled my 04/18/2018 Holland cruise.

Congrats - smart move IMO (y) (y) (y)

when will Holland America notify us about the change for the cuba trip

that's the only reason we are going is for cuba,what a disappointment

we will cancel if they change the ports of call

My best guess is that HAL will issue a notice as soon as it has made a final decision about going or not going to Cuba. But, to insure that you don't miss the notice, I suggest you contact your TA or HAL directly.

when will Holland America notify us about the change for the cuba trip

that's the only reason we are going is for cuba,what a disappointment

we will cancel if they change the ports of call

IF they are going to make any annnouncement, who knows when it will be? :)

Have you heard they are making a change? Has anyone heard that from HAL or their TA? Of course , they can make any itinerary change they need or want to make, They likely do not yet know what if any change or cancella tion they may make. The most rec ent State Department public message on Cuba and U.S. diplomats, mentioned above. was issued just yesterday.

Edited by sail7seas

We have already booked the 7 day " Authentic Cuba" cruise with HAL. in January. Due to personal issues it was something of a rushed decision, but now I am surprised to see that there are no excursions in Cuba, other than 2 "nightlife" events, which don'really interest me. We are Canadian, and I'm wondering if it will be acceptable for me to organize my own tour? Anyone have any ideas?

We have already booked the 7 day " Authentic Cuba" cruise with HAL. in January. Due to personal issues it was something of a rushed decision, but now I am surprised to see that there are no excursions in Cuba, other than 2 "nightlife" events, which don'really interest me. We are Canadian, and I'm wondering if it will be acceptable for me to organize my own tour? Anyone have any ideas?

Suggest you see if there is a CC Roll Call for your cruise and, if so, sign up. If there isn't already a RC for your cruise, you may want to start one.

Hi

We are going on the Jan.17th cruise. I'm sure they'll be more excursions coming. If you want to see some things that may be available, go to Shoretrips.com and put in your cruise date. Used them before, they're really good.

• 5 weeks later...

Latest I've heard on Cuba travel:

The US government announced additional sanctions and travel restrictions on Cuba Wednesday, following up on an announcement by President Donald Trump earlier this year.

Among the specific changes outlined by the Treasury Department are restrictions on travel to Cuba for educational or cultural exchange groups, which will now be permitted only for sponsored groups in the United States, and with the participation of representatives from those groups.

Individuals traveling for so called "people-to-people" outreach will no longer be able to visit the country, except where travel arrangements have already been made, or in cases where these individuals are accompanied by permitted, US-based sponsors, a senior administration official explained to reporters on a conference call.

The State Department has also published a list of 180 entities including hotels, stores, rum makers, marinas and a economic development zone at the Port of Mariel, which are believed to financially benefit the Cuban military, intelligence and security services and which US citizens will no longer be permitted to frequent.

"Channeling economic activity away from entities controlled by the Cuban military will encourage the government to move towards greater political and economic freedom for the Cuban people," another senior administration official on the call asserted.

I believe the cruise we have planned for December 22 is "grandfathered" in. I'm still confused about the permitted excursions. Anyone have any other information to share? I am going to post this on my roll call as well.

St. Louis Sal

The ships dock right in the heart of Havana and it's perfectly safe to walk around that area. We did a cruise to Cuba a couple of years ago on Celestyal Cruises, spent 2 days and 1 night in Havana. One day we did our own thing, taking the local HOHO bus tour around the city; the only problem is there is no narrative in English on the bus. It's a short walk from the cruise terminal to the the HOHO stop.

• 2 months later...

With the new regs going to Cuba is a big rip off now. Holland American tours are so jacked up in price it is really bad. You have no choice now. You can't even get off the ship unless you pay up at there rates in Cuba now. They are taking advantage of there customer in a very bad way. 400 to 800 dollars just to see Cuba for 2 in less than 24 hours is sky high pricing to me. If I would have thought about it more I would have never gone. It just isn't worth it to me. I only wanted to go to Cuba. Been to Mexico so many times. It was a very expensive visit. Live and learn. Been cruising for 40 years and think this is my last cruise. Tired of cruise lines trying to pick my pockets for every cent they can. While providing less and less for it now. Cruising used to be a great deal and fun. Now it has become just another racket.