MSC Divina Upgrade to YC

daff0dil

Sometimes you hit the jackpot, as I recently did. Originally booked in a Bella aft balcony (gotta love those aft balconies!) I was offered and accepted an upsell to the YC, cabin assigned on deck 16. My question is the following: what is the protocol for ordering drinks outside the YC? Do I just show my key card? Is it that simple? All replies welcome. Thanks...

Yes, you just show them your card.

Sometimes you may have to sign and sometimes you don't have to sign anything.

Sometimes you hit the jackpot, as I recently did. Originally booked in a Bella aft balcony (gotta love those aft balconies!) I was offered and accepted an upsell to the YC, cabin assigned on deck 16. My question is the following: what is the protocol for ordering drinks outside the YC? Do I just show my key card? Is it that simple? All replies welcome. Thanks...

That's correct, you can order anything from the menus except items with 2 asterisks next to them.

I have no experience with Azamara but I do have with Oceania. The Oceania experience is also dependent on which cabin class you book. Not all cabins get butler, not all cabins get unlimited premium beverages (all get non-alcoholic beverages though), not all cabins have priority booking restaurants and so on...

I agree that the experience is not that different as it is if you compare it to MSC tiers (huge difference from Bella to YC!) and the service and quality is top notch across the ship on Oceania.

I really enjoyed Oceania and would no doubt sail with them again if the price is right and we don’t take the kids with us. Keep in mind that Oceania prices are consistently higher than those in the YC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't make the mistake of only comparing cabin prices with Oceania.

Remember that O includes airfare or an air credit if you DIY. For some intercontinental transit, that means $1500 +\- per person. Complimentary "O Life" perks include unlimited internet and a choice of excursions, alcohol or OBC. Using a top producing TA (who is a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club) will add another 5-10% in OBC. And, on select cruises, "private TA partner sales" will save you an additional 5-15%. BTW, ask your TA about the occasionally available "new cruiser" credit.

On O, things like beverages and specialty restaurants (with what is considered "the best food at sea" - even steaks and lobster cooked "a la minute" nightly in the casual Terrace Grill) are never an extra charge. And "book onboard" adds additional discounts/OBC and a "lowest price" guarantee up to the day of sailing.

Note, as well, that many of the short "first cruise" type itineraries (7-10 days in the Caribbean) have pre-discounted cabin prices similar to the "ship within a ship" mass market offerings.

With ships carrying only 700 or 1100 passengers, there are no thundering herds of humanity. There are also no chair hogs, photogs, art shows, or nickel-diming and smoking is EXTREMELY restricted. Live music includes a versatile band, pianists and the ever present string quartet. Live shows use the same agency as NCL and many of the lecturers are college professors or similar experts.

Bottom line is a "net daily rate" for all anticipated costs on a cruise line that easily meets the needs and preferences of a truly cosmopolitan passenger population, most having worked very hard for their money.

Don't make the mistake of only comparing cabin prices with Oceania.

Remember that O includes airfare or an air credit if you DIY. For some intercontinental transit, that means $1500 +\- per person. Complimentary "O Life" perks include unlimited internet and a choice of excursions, alcohol or OBC. Using a top producing TA (who is a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club) will add another 5-10% in OBC. And, on select cruises, "private TA partner sales" will save you an additional 5-15%. BTW, ask your TA about the occasionally available "new cruiser" credit.

On O, things like beverages and specialty restaurants (with what is considered "the best food at sea" - even steaks and lobster cooked "a la minute" nightly in the casual Terrace Grill) are never an extra charge. And "book onboard" adds additional discounts/OBC and a "lowest price" guarantee up to the day of sailing.

Note, as well, that many of the short "first cruise" type itineraries (7-10 days in the Caribbean) have pre-discounted cabin prices similar to the "ship within a ship" mass market offerings.

With ships carrying only 700 or 1100 passengers, there are no thundering herds of humanity. There are also no chair hogs, photogs, art shows, or nickel-diming and smoking is EXTREMELY restricted. Live music includes a versatile band, pianists and the ever present string quartet. Live shows use the same agency as NCL and many of the lecturers are college professors or similar experts.

Bottom line is a "net daily rate" for all anticipated costs on a cruise line that easily meets the needs and preferences of a truly cosmopolitan passenger population, most having worked very hard for their money.

My answer was addressed specifically to the comment that said that in Azamara and Oceania all pax get Yacht Club benefits.

I just tried to explain that in Oceania there are also different cabin tiers with different benefits. Like butler service only on suites.

When you book an Oceania cruise with the O live promos (you can’t always get those), you must be aware that those “perks” are already accounted in the price you pay. Those are not free perks, you pay them included in your fare.

Flights or airfare credit is included only in the US. Not all markets get that.

I really loved the service and quality provided on Oceania. One of the best experiences at sea. But it comes at a price.

Keep in mind that, at the time the average YC suite with butler service, unlimited premium drinks, YC only restaurant, pool with LOTS of loungers available, and excellent service within the YC is about 2000-2200$/pax.

I am not able to find any Oceania balcony cabin (not suite with butler) anywhere around that 2200$ mark. Last time I checked it was about 3500$/pax, no O life perks included.

I would choose Oceania again if the price point is good and if I am not traveling with kids (not much for them to do)

Do you remember the cost to upgrade from your Bella cabin?

I think that this is the answer.

If upgraded to a YC cabin located outside the YC = no access.

If upgraded to a YC cabin located within the YC = access.

Can anyone confirm that they have been upgraded to a cabin located within the YC and not received access to lounge and restaurant?

I can confirm this. Last month we were on the Preziosa. Two weeks before departure we saw we were upgraded from a Bella aft balcony to a YC cabin. We didn't receive any notice. On embarkation we were told that the upgrade didn't include the experience, it was only the room. That didn't stop us from trying though. However, on entering the TSL we were asked to show our cards and then politely turned away. We asked the concierge if we could buy the experience upgrade and were glad to hear we could for 35 euro p/p p/d which of course we did :D.

I can confirm this. Last month we were on the Preziosa. Two weeks before departure we saw we were upgraded from a Bella aft balcony to a YC cabin. We didn't receive any notice. On embarkation we were told that the upgrade didn't include the experience, it was only the room. That didn't stop us from trying though. However, on entering the TSL we were asked to show our cards and then politely turned away. We asked the concierge if we could buy the experience upgrade and were glad to hear we could for 35 euro p/p p/d which of course we did :D.

Wow 245 p/p to upgrade from Bella to YC looks like a bargain to me!

Do you remember the cost to upgrade from your Bella cabin?

I usually don't like discussing what I pay for cruises, but it was a big bargain at $350/pax, which is less than the cost of the premium drink package which we had ordered at $385/pax. Go figure! We couldn't be more pleased. Thank you, MSC! I usually cruise with Regent, Azamara, and Oceania, so we shall see how this stacks up. I did qualify for a black card, not surprisingly. I don't know if that was the reason I was chosen for the upsell or not....

Thank you so much for confirming this. Someone else had posted a similar experience here before.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Wow, that's hard to believe. It would be like getting upgraded for free to first class on an airplane and then told you can't get free drinks or a meal like everyone else. Just confirms MSC is somewhat clueless in the customer service department. All they would have to do is offer the upgrade for the small extra price you paid. Then you would be happy and no unpleasantness on the ship.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Wow, that's hard to believe. It would be like getting upgraded for free to first class on an airplane and then told you can't get free drinks or a meal like everyone else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We sat on a plane beside someone who was moved to business class because their screen wasn't working. They had to return to economy when meals were being served!

Wow, that's hard to believe. It would be like getting upgraded for free to first class on an airplane and then told you can't get free drinks or a meal like everyone else.

Well, that's how we felt at first. So we were glad that we could buy the experience upgrade, especially at that price. I hope this information is useful to others, because this kind of upgrades seem to happen a lot (I saw the embarkation list and there were about 15 YC-cabins that read: NO YC-services).

Do you know if you should get everything in the room, for example free use of the minibar, even if you hadn't paid extra for the upgrade?

I think that it's wrong to upgrade without giving all the perks. You had an aft cabin and they "upgraded" you to the YC without giving you the perks. Lots of people should have prefered the aft cabin instead of being upgraded without the perks.

I guess this means that MSC can upgrade someone from a balcony to an inside YC cabin, many should not like that upgrade if they didn't got all perks!

Do you know if you should get everything in the room, for example free use of the minibar, even if you hadn't paid extra for the upgrade?

I think that it's wrong to upgrade without giving all the perks. You had an aft cabin and they "upgraded" you to the YC without giving you the perks. Lots of people should have prefered the aft cabin instead of being upgraded without the perks.

I agree. It would have been unpleasant if paying for the upgrade had been impossible or too expensive. After all, we love the aft balconies and the YC-cabins aren't that much better than the regular. I am sure that we wouldn't have received any of the in-room perks, because the butler had to replace everything: the bedding, towels, bathrobes, fruit basket etc. Edited by Kodie64

• 3 months later...

Anybody ever done the same on Fantasia ?

Hi everyone,

I was offered an upgrade to the YC for $700 for my November 25th sailing on the Divina which, after careful consideration, I gladly accepted. I called MSC and paid for the upgrade, and they sent me my ticket reissue. While the e-ticket mentions the "upsell50", all of the other information is still the same as pre-upgrade (same stateroom, still saying fantastica balcony). So for those of you who have been upgraded, is this normal? How long did it take for for your documents to actually reflect the upgrade?

Thank you so much! I am very excited, just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and don't need to start pestering the MSC call line.

I would call them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally found this old thread, on page 157!

The thread inform us that it's possible to be upgraded to the YC without getting all the perks.

I still think that people paying for upgrades will get the YC experience and not only the room but this thread show us that restrictions can be done and has been done in the past!