First time to Tahiti

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:53 AM.
1,188 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
What is considered premium liquor by PG standards? That is a wide open question. I drink beer and an occasional mixed drink so I'm not a good one to ask. I do know Grey Goose is served and that would probably be a good example.

For laundry services, PG says to request prior to cruise but do they offer specials when onboard? Never have used the service so I'm not a good one to ask.

Regarding dining, my husband is a Hawaiian shirt/shorts/flip flops kinda guy. Not excited when I told him he has to wear dockers for dinner in a tropical climate. Can we order room service if we don't want to dress up? The point stressed is no levi denim jeans. I've worn other Levi's that were a bit more dressy and not denim, no problems. I wear a new/clean pair of tennis shoes at dinner. Hope that helps.

Haven't started to look but since you are into photography any suggestions for point and shoot underwater cameras? I bring (2) GoPros. Always have a backup.

By the way, called today for pricing on the other October cruises for Cat F. All sold out until December sailings. I started to panic BUT we have a hold on 10day sailing Cat E which included 2 night IC hotel stay pre-cruise (incl a few meals) plus post cruise day room and shipboard credit. Getting excited and trying to get my parents to join us!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
2018/2019 ?

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.
127 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Thanks once again Tahitianbigkahuna for your responses.
I will look into the Go Pro camera.
Good info about dinner attire.
Been a busy week so my Tahiti research and questions have been in a holding pattern.
Toronto, Canada
6,827 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Just a comment on dress on the PG.
Dress is smart casual, country club casual or really how you would dress to any restaurant for an evening out.
If you choose to wear non denim jeans you would be in the minority. You could wear khakis or dress pants if you were a man and fit in perfectly. No need for sport coat or blazer.
I disagree about the appropriateness of tennis shoes for dinner on the PG and if you do wear them you would be in a minority. Just a pair of black loafers or leather dress shoes should be fine.

That being said I met a gentleman in an elevator on a Crystal ship who had black socks inside black sandals for dinner. He apologized and said he had forgotten his dress shoes in his packing. I have a nightmarish fear that we will forget something on a trip!
Toronto, Canada
6,827 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Premium liquor on the PG would be Patron tequila, blue label scotch and some of the higher end single malts.
Grey goose and belvedere are included as are Black Label and glen livet. The tequilas are standard Jose Cuervo.
No champagnes are including. Last month the sparkling wine was a revolting B&G. Wines are on the cheaper side but the Sommelier will work with you to find something drinkable.

On request the bartenders will mix you something special like a blue cheese Martini or they will follow any recipe you bring them if they have the ingredients. Efren is a particularly good mixologist and I always invite him to taste my special drinks.
Kansas City, MO
985 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by gdlamberth
Hope the above helps.
Greg

PS we leave for FP on Saturday; we'll be on Sirena...10 of us in the family going.

I am interested in your experience on the Sirena. We are booked on an FP cruise on her in May of 2017--our first trip to FP and not sure what to expect.
1,188 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Edgewater601
I am interested in your experience on the Sirena. We are booked on an FP cruise on her in May of 2017--our first trip to FP and not sure what to expect.

Sirena sailed French Polynesian waters several times before as an R4 ship under the names Tahitian Princess and Ocean Princess, yes a Princess ship. Current owners have done several refurbishments and I've been told the food is considerable better than when it was a Princess ship. I've cruised on this ship twice in French Polynesia when it was a Princess ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
2018/2019 ?

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.
127 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Can’t believe it is almost here….and of course I have a fewlast minute questions - any feedback welcome

1) Sunscreen– spray vs. lotion
Does it matter? Spray can be annoying in close quarters and make boat deck slippery. Not sure if tour operators shun the sprays. I have plenty of both living in the Valley of the Sun.
2) Boat Tenders (times)
We have a private tour when we arrive on Moorea. Being told to meet them at 8:30am at the pier. Is this a feasible time considering we arrive 8:00am and others are trying to tender as well?
3) Bora Bora (night)
We’d like to go to Bloody Mary’s for a drink. Is this possible at night or late afternoon? When does the ship stop the tenders? From a previous thread said taxi $5/pp OW…still sound about right?
4) Our tour schedule…well so much for not booking much! In case, we wanted to relax a little bit more and not be so tour heavy looking at possibly not going on these 2 tours – 1) Shark and Stingray encounter and 2) drift snorkel on Tahaa. I think definitely the first one but not sure about the second one since everyone says it is amazing.
Here is our current tour schedule:

Papeete – pre-cruise – East/westcoast tour with Tracey Unique Tahiti
Huahine – Marc’s combo tour(snorkel, 4&4)
Bora Bora 1 – Shark and Stingray encounter
Bora Bora 2 – Lagoon excursion with Maohi Nui
Rangiroa – Aquarium snorkel
Fakarava – Ato’s Lagoon tour
Tahaa – drift snorkel
Moorea 1 – Whale encounter – MooreaOcean Adventures (since at end of whaleseason may be shark, stingray, dolphins)
Moorea 2 – ATV guided tour

5) Wine selection – do they have any Rieslings? If not can we bring 2 bottles on board (probably won’t just want to know if it is an option)? Otherwise, I will most likely stick to mixed drinks.