No more Transderm Scop patch....

ChuckinSC

My wife and I are getting ready for upcoming cruises. She uses the patch, just got her prescription and have discovered the drugstores report they no longer have, and wont be getting, the drug. I called Sandoz directly this afternoon and was told they stopped manufacturing the product last month! This is a serious problem. She relies on scopolamine for her seasickness. This could literally become a cruise deal breaker! Not good.

Edited by ChuckinSC

Get through amazon: $8.99 for 20 ct box. You might want to stock up.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scopolamine

Walgreens is cheaper.

Google is your friend.

And reading the description is your friend. That is not a scopolamine patch, which is prescription only. That is a transdermal herbal supplement.

OP, I'm sorry you had to deal with the snark in this thread. I hope you are able to find the patch. Try other pharmacies, or is there a generic maker?

For those that use this patch and have tried nothing else. Just one factual account. My husband used the patch religiously and it worked great. Then he went on his first 15 day cruise and when he got back, he had a hard time being on solid ground and didn't feel all that great for a few days. Since then he has been using Bonine and that is working just fine with no side effects and also even with a drink now and then. The only caveat is that we take 2 the first day before we travel via air or car to start our cruise. Then one a day until disembarkation (ahh, sadness!). I have never been sea sick even in rough seas and don't know if I would be or not because I have used Bonine religiously. My husband definitely gets sea sick and has been fine on the Bonine. So hopefully Bonine will work for you guys and won't have to stop cruising!

Pooh

My wife and I are getting ready for upcoming cruises. She uses the patch, just got her prescription and have discovered the drugstores report they no longer have, and wont be getting, the drug. I called Sandoz directly this afternoon and was told they stopped manufacturing the product last month! This is a serious problem. She relies on scopolamine for her seasickness. This could literally become a cruise deal breaker! Not good.

I just checked, it is still available here in Canada and it does not require a prescription here. Do you have family in Canada that could help you out?

Perhaps you could call around to some other pharmacies. Maybe try a small locally owned pharmacy that is locally owned. Maybe they can compound it for you. Good luck

Press release in July stated that Perrigo Pharmaceuticals was coming out with a generic.

Your pharmacist may be able to hunt some information down; couldn't find much.

Good luck.

Scopolamine is a drug and you need to understand the side effects before using it. A whole variety of ailments react with the drug. - According to someone I know. It is suggested you try other methods prior to resorting to Scop patches.

The group has a list, I will track it down.

Green Apples

ginger

ginger pills

ginger candy

wrist bands

Drink one more Tequila

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=48

I just got a presription yesterday had mine filled yesterday at CVS yesterday but haven't picked it up yet. Like your wife, I will be in big trouble as it's the only thing that works for me.

It's funny because usually my co-pay is $50 for a 4 pack and I noticed it's only $11 this time. Generic perhaps?

I just checked, it is still available here in Canada and it does not require a prescription here. Do you have family in Canada that could help you out?

This is good to know as I'm sailing with my Canadian friends in December!

Just had mine filled at Publix Pharmacy and they didn’t say anything about it not being available any longer. This concerns me as I use them on very cruise as well. I will be calling them and asking about this. Thank You for the heads up on this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used them on our first cruise 28 years ago. DH switched to bonine since we did not need a prescription for that. Then a couple of years ago he developed a tightness in his jaw from the bonine. Now he relies on candied ginger, ginger ale, and ginger tea.

I buy generic meclizine. It's sold without a prescription in the U.S., is the active ingredient in Bonine, but is significantly less expensive when sold as generic meclizine tabs. Amazon has it in different dosages and they have both standard and chewable tabs.

I buy generic meclizine. It's sold without a prescription in the U.S., is the active ingredient in Bonine, but is significantly less expensive when sold as generic meclizine tabs. Amazon has it in different dosages and they have both standard and chewable tabs.

And it will give you the best night's sleep you ever had.

Glad to know about Transderm Scope patches. I always take them with me but only use them if we encounter rough seas. Lucky for me I have only ever felt "sea sick" three times so having something in my kit gives me a sense of security. I will be looking into the generic brand announced by Perrigo Pharmaceutical.

Thanks for the heads up! I always take them with us for emergencies, so will ask our doctor if we can still get them for our next cruise. I hope so, as they were a godsend for my daughter on a Hawaiian cruise when she was hit with seasickness so intense that she couldn't keep anything down and it worked within minutes.

Wow.....you all gave me a scare there. I was ready to call the TA and cancel our Alaska cruise next May. I have gotten motion sickness ever since I was small and have tried everything available and the only thing that works is the patch. DH says I could get seasick in a bathtub. LOL!! First time I tried a cruise without it I was sick within 1/2 hour of leaving port. Had to go to bed and ended up getting up after about 15 minutes and going to the doctor for a shot and then he gave me a patch the next morning. I also get extremely ill with anesthetic. One anesthetist told me that it seems redheads are more prone to it. Those who have never experienced severe motion sickness just can't understand the feeling.

Thanks for the heads up! I always take them with us for emergencies, so will ask our doctor if we can still get them for our next cruise. I hope so, as they were a godsend for my daughter on a Hawaiian cruise when she was hit with seasickness so intense that she couldn't keep anything down and it worked within minutes.

The patch takes about 3 hours to work. That’s why they say to put it on at least 3 hours prior to traveling.

Did she have it in pill form or something? I wish I could go without it and take it If I felt ill.

Wow.....you all gave me a scare there. I was ready to call the TA and cancel our Alaska cruise next May. I have gotten motion sickness ever since I was small and have tried everything available and the only thing that works is the patch. DH says I could get seasick in a bathtub. LOL!! First time I tried a cruise without it I was sick within 1/2 hour of leaving port. Had to go to bed and ended up getting up after about 15 minutes and going to the doctor for a shot and then he gave me a patch the next morning. I also get extremely ill with anesthetic. One anesthetist told me that it seems redheads are more prone to it. Those who have never experienced severe motion sickness just can't understand the feeling.

They also give it to me prior to waking up from anesthesia if I have surgery. Always get sick.