medical insurance coverage time limit?

AZJerry

We're thinking of a 5 day cruise out of LA with one overnight stop in Cabo San Lucas. Normally I would buy medical insurance for the two days in Cabo, figuring our US insurance would cover the rest. But this time I started thinking:

- What happens if one of us has to go to a hospital in Mexico and it's serious enough that we have to be there for several days before we can be medivac'd out? Does the trip medical insurance only pay for those two days and any extra days are on us? Or should I get insurance for the whole time of the trip?

• 3 months later...

We had a family friend who fell ill during a land trip in China. He was evac'd to Hong Kong where he had to stay for about 6 months before he could be medically cleared to fly. Their insurance paid for his Mother to fly over so that she could take care of him, but did not pay for the apartment they rented since he was out of the hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, Do you only want medical coverage, not any cancellation/interruption/delay? Then the cost of a two day policy vs a five day policy for the same coverage limit is negligible. Plus, most travel policies are sold per trip, defined as when you leave the house for the trip to when you intend to return home.