Driving from CT to Port Liberty next Sat 11/11 - Any construction worries?

junior8

Hi, I will be driving to the port next Saturday for Anthem of the Seas. Just wondering if anyone is aware of any construction trouble spots?

Listen to the Radio, for some reason the Bayonne Bridge still is closed on occasion- maybe a better option to take the NJT- If you have an app on your phone like waze, use it!

Listen to the Radio, for some reason the Bayonne Bridge still is closed on occasion- maybe a better option to take the NJT- If you have an app on your phone like waze, use it!

The Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island, NY, and Bayonne, NJ. Any closure would primarily affect folks coming from Long Island, Brooklyn, or Queens via the Belt Parkway and the Verrazano bridge.

The turnpike bridge from Newark to Bayonne is the Newark Bay Bridge. There have been no problems reported with this bridge.

Last time I followed 138east directions found on this board. Plan on using again. Hutchinson to saw mill to g. Washington bridge to 78 to Bayonne. SOMETHING like that-it's off top of my head. Lol

I have them saved and printed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Meriden CT

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From I91 south in Meriden you take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

At exit 14A you follow the signs to Avenue E, go to the light at 45th St and make a left, and follow the road around to the end at Goldsboro Drive. Make a left and follow the road out to the ship.

Question for 138east:

After passing thru exit 14A toll is Ave E to 45th street a better way to go than taking Rt 440 south?

Both routes get you to the port. I've done both and found Avenue E to be very easy, more direct, and the "locals" recommend it. On weekdays there can be more truck traffic getting off the turnpike and onto route 440 where the traffic light seems very long. Avenue E is really limited to small vehicle traffic because of the bridge over the light rail. It's hard to miss the left turn onto 45th St if you're watching the street numbers go down. If you do miss the turn, you can turn left at 40th St and then turn right when it deadends. Once you make the turn at 45th street you just follow the road as it curves around and deadends at Goldsborough Drive where you make a left and just continue about 2 miles to the ship.

Thanks for the for the quick response 138east. My version of google maps street view shows a chain link fence across 45th street just after you get past the overpass. I assume that's open now?

Sorry, I was not precise enough. You make a left turn at the light at 45th St. The street you actually turn onto is named Center St which becomes Chosin Few Way. I'm not sure about the precise signage, but I'm pretty sure there is a Cruiseport sign somewhere.

Don't focus on the minute details. When you get to the light at 45th St. turn left and just follow the road. When you reach the end you can see the ship. Just turn left and follow all the cars out to the ship.

Sorry, I was not precise enough. You make a left turn at the light at 45th St. The street you actually turn onto is named Center St which becomes Chosin Few Way. I'm not sure about the precise signage, but I'm pretty sure there is a Cruiseport sign somewhere.

Don't focus on the minute details. When you get to the light at 45th St. turn left and just follow the road. When you reach the end you can see the ship. Just turn left and follow all the cars out to the ship.

I hope he wasn't waiting for this last bit of detail.

I hope he wasn't waiting for this last bit of detail.

Turtle1947 is new to Cruisecritic and was not the original poster, so it's likely he or she was waiting for this last bit of detail to finalize a plan for sailing from Cape Liberty.

The area around Exit 14A is under long term construction and is confusing. There have been many posts asking about the changes. Getting onto Route 440 South and making a left onto Goldsborough Drive is still an option, but IMO if you can get onto Avenue E, find the traffic light at 45th St, and make a left, it's a much simpler route. The local Bayonne cruisers have done a great job posting updates about any construction changes that affect the access route to Cape Liberty.

Turtle1947 is new to Cruisecritic and was not the original poster, so it's likely he or she was waiting for this last bit of detail to finalize a plan for sailing from Cape Liberty.

The area around Exit 14A is under long term construction and is confusing. There have been many posts asking about the changes. Getting onto Route 440 South and making a left onto Goldsborough Drive is still an option, but IMO if you can get onto Avenue E, find the traffic light at 45th St, and make a left, it's a much simpler route. The local Bayonne cruisers have done a great job posting updates about any construction changes that affect the access route to Cape Liberty.

This is helpful - a few years ago we sailed from Bayonne and had a terrible time finding our way - all the way from the GWB.

Have they improved/widened the access road and pick-up area recently? As I recall it was a recipe for confusion with that long road jammed with incoming cars passing outgoing and cars dropping off embarkers jockeying for stopping space against cars picking up debarkers.

This is helpful - a few years ago we sailed from Bayonne and had a terrible time finding our way - all the way from the GWB.

Have they improved/widened the access road and pick-up area recently? As I recall it was a recipe for confusion with that long road jammed with incoming cars passing outgoing and cars dropping off embarkers jockeying for stopping space against cars picking up debarkers.

Honestly, I find the access road to be little changed except that the limos wait further out along the edge of the road. The new garage and terminal are great, but the road access still sucks. I still can't believe they didn't provide direct access to the parking garage without having to go through the drop off area. What were they thinking!

Hi Carol

It was great meeting and talking with you on the Freedom TA. I look forward to seeing you on the Anthem. A quick question. We have decided to rent a car at EWR and drive to Hartford, CT for a short trip to visit family. Any tips or driving instructions. We will drive back to the airport on February 12

Edited by SingBill

Hi Carol

It was great meeting and talking with you on the Freedom TA. I look forward to seeing you on the Anthem. A quick question. We have decided to rent a car at EWR and drive to Hartford, CT for a short trip to visit family. Any tips or driving instructions. We will drive back to the airport on February 12

More than you ever wanted to know about going to Hartford:

New York to Boston "cars only" directions

From Newark Airport I would take the NJ Turnpike north (getting on at Exit 13A or Exit 14 depending on the location of your rental car company) following the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, which will take you on the eastern spur of the turnpike. Then follow the signs to the George Washington Bridge Exit 18.

From the George Washington Bridge I would take the cars only parkways all the way through New York City, New York State, and halfway through Connecticut. You will not see a big scary truck until you get on I91 south of Hartford. To do this you take the upper level of the George Washington Bridge ($15 toll ) and get in the rightmost lane. Take the very first exit at the end of the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North. (If you end up on the lower level, get in the left lane and take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North) This route has a $6 cashless toll which is billed back to cars that don't have an EZ Pass - you want to ask You car rental company if they offer a toll pass program. I checked online and someone posted that Enterprise car rental charged them $18 for this $5 toll. The Henry Hudson Parkway changes it's name to the Saw Mill River Parkway at the NYC line. You take Exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway.

To avoid this toll (ok to do early on a Sunday morning) you take the Lower Bridge and stay to the right to get off at the Major Deegan (New York Thruway) North I87. This is one of the very next exits and requires you to scoot across multiple lanes if you take the Upper bridge. http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0095nany The Major Deegan North becomes the New York Thruway at the city line. You take Exit 4 to get onto the Cross County Parkway East - a quick scoot at the exit from left to right across two lanes of traffic to the Cross County on ramp.

Get into the left lane of the Cross County Parkway and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North. The Hutchinson River Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway at the Connecticut Line. Around Milford Connecticut the parkway changes name again to the Wilbur Cross Parkway. You go all the way to the end where the road intersects with I91 North towards Hartford.

More than you ever wanted to know about going to Hartford:

New York to Boston "cars only" directions

From Newark Airport I would take the NJ Turnpike north (getting on at Exit 13A or Exit 14 depending on the location of your rental car company) following the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, which will take you on the eastern spur of the turnpike. Then follow the signs to the George Washington Bridge Exit 18.

From the George Washington Bridge I would take the cars only parkways all the way through New York City, New York State, and halfway through Connecticut. You will not see a big scary truck until you get on I91 south of Hartford. To do this you take the upper level of the George Washington Bridge ($15 toll ) and get in the rightmost lane. Take the very first exit at the end of the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North. (If you end up on the lower level, get in the left lane and take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North) This route has a $6 cashless toll which is billed back to cars that don't have an EZ Pass - you want to ask You car rental company if they offer a toll pass program. I checked online and someone posted that Enterprise car rental charged them $18 for this $5 toll. The Henry Hudson Parkway changes it's name to the Saw Mill River Parkway at the NYC line. You take Exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway.

To avoid this toll (ok to do early on a Sunday morning) you take the Lower Bridge and stay to the right to get off at the Major Deegan (New York Thruway) North I87. This is one of the very next exits and requires you to scoot across multiple lanes if you take the Upper bridge. http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0095nany The Major Deegan North becomes the New York Thruway at the city line. You take Exit 4 to get onto the Cross County Parkway East - a quick scoot at the exit from left to right across two lanes of traffic to the Cross County on ramp.

Get into the left lane of the Cross County Parkway and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North. The Hutchinson River Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway at the Connecticut Line. Around Milford Connecticut the parkway changes name again to the Wilbur Cross Parkway. You go all the way to the end where the road intersects with I91 North towards Hartford.

Thanks Carol. Very helpful