Illy Coffeemakers

mikenbob

I'm fairly sure that the Illy machine in the suites (on all ships) is an espresso maker and they do have decaffeinated pods. Note: I know that there are decaffeinated pods but am only 90% sure that it is an espresso maker rather than a coffee maker. It is possible I suppose to figure out how to make coffee with the machine.

I'm fairly sure that the Illy machine in the suites (on all ships) is an espresso maker and they do have decaffeinated pods. Note: I know that there are decaffeinated pods but am only 90% sure that it is an espresso maker rather than a coffee maker. It is possible I suppose to figure out how to make coffee with the machine.

Think just makes expresso. At least the one in our suite only did this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the answers. Espresso is fine, just cannot have caffeine. I am often amazed by the crazy questions (often mine) and the wealth of answers. Thinking that perhaps Cruise Critic is the best treatment for us OCD-types.

We have rarely used the Illy machine, only does espresso, no Americano and is fiddly, plus no milk in suite. Easier to order from room service/ butler or go to coffee connection . Find it takes up a lot of room on top of cabinet, on last B2B butler took it away for us.

We have rarely used the Illy machine, only does espresso, no Americano and is fiddly, plus no milk in suite. Easier to order from room service/ butler or go to coffee connection . Find it takes up a lot of room on top of cabinet, on last B2B butler took it away for us.

And it also has a bright power LED light if it's not unplugged (it 'pulses' if I remember correctly). I think I used mine maybe twice on my last cruise.

Now what I could REALLY use would be a 2- or 3-liter oak barrel with some rye Manhattans aging inside. Some Luxardo cherries in the fridge and a nice big ice ball and I'd be set. :D

And it also has a bright power LED light if it's not unplugged (it 'pulses' if I remember correctly). I think I used mine maybe twice on my last cruise.

Now what I could REALLY use would be a 2- or 3-liter oak barrel with some rye Manhattans aging inside. Some Luxardo cherries in the fridge and a nice big ice ball and I'd be set. :D

I do so love your responses Bill. How bout sharing that barrel please!

What are ice balls?

They are ice cube balls https://www.amazon.com/Froz-Ice-Ball-Maker-Food-Grade/dp/B00H8W54EK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TRX5MBRQ0DVNKP65PEB6

There are many different kinds of ice ball makers - I just bought the cheap one to try it out and it worked really well. Instead of small pieces of ice that melt quickly in your drink, the larger ice balls take their time to melt. Some people make fruit ice balls (made with juice or putting small pieces of fruit into the ice). I made 12 balls and put them in a freezer plastic bag. Tried my first drink with an ice ball last night and will be using ice balls in the future!

How is this for a strange topic:D

TC, I think we both got the same promo email from Amazon. I just received the same ice mold. The big balls do a fine job of chilling the booze without diluting too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's really funny. Amazon must be selling millions of these things:D

You are all a bunch of drunks, I like when the ice dilutes the drink! ;p;p Otherwise I order to many of them. Back to the coffee thing, when I stay in place that has one of those things that is in the way or takes up too much space, I stick it someplace out of the way, but when I'm on the Mariner in January, I will ask them to take it away!

Agree - it doesn't make the best espresso - it's much better in the Coffee Connection!

P.S. It is interesting where people's minds went when we talked about ice balls in drinks. They also work in soft drinks:D. For the holidays they can be made in festive colors -- kids would probably love to have them in their drink.

I do so love your responses Bill. How bout sharing that barrel please!

Maybe I can bring it with on my next cruise - it would cut down on the evening cocktail shaking, that's for sure.

We have a small distillery downtown that sells 2, 3, 5, and I believe 10 liter charred oak barrels. Being a drinker but not a drunk, I went with the 2 liter model and that's about perfect for me. I just stir up a big batch of Manhattans and pour them in the barrel to age. After about 2 weeks the flavors really blend and mellow out. But they tend to get a bit oaky after a few months, so the smaller barrels are probably good unless you entertain a lot. I'm going to age a batch of Old-Fashioneds as soon as this one is empty.

Love my whisk(e)y! :* :whiskey-glass:

Agree - it doesn't make the best espresso - it's much better in the Coffee Connection!

P.S. It is interesting where people's minds went when we talked about ice balls in drinks. They also work in soft drinks:D. For the holidays they can be made in festive colors -- kids would probably love to have them in their drink.

Another tip - fill the iceballs (or cubes, even) with white wine and use to keep wine chilled. Or, bonus tip - freeze white grapes and use THEM to keep you white wine chilled. :D :champagne-toast:

You're welcome.

Soft drinks? Do they have a special kind of liquor in them. Ha. But agree kids would probably think they were special.