Mustard Drill?

Kingofcool1947

It's really the MUSTER drill, and it's on deck by your assigned lifeboat assembly station on all ships except for the Konigsdam. The Konigsdam uses indoor locations.

Its one of the few things we dislike about HAL - standing outside on the deck for almost 30 minutes. Some ships do a better job of this than others, with the inside location on the Koningsdam being the best!

It has been a long time since we were on a ship that had the drills outside and standing, so we were surprised on our recent NA cruise that some lines are still doing it. My wife has a lightweight scooter and they told her to just wait in the lounge during the drill. They just wanted me to take both of our key cards to the safety officers to have them swiped.

Its one of the few things we dislike about HAL - standing outside on the deck for almost 30 minutes. Some ships do a better job of this than others, with the inside location on the Koningsdam being the best!

The last time we were on the Zuiderdam, the drill took less than 10 minutes. They scan your room key....no yelling

A few tips. Don't get their early if you don't want to stand any longer than necessary. Wait in your cabin till they tell you to go to your muster station. There is no advantage you going early and there is actually a disadvantage. Last to arrive will be first to leave...

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Of course the length of the drill depends somewhat on the cooperativeness of all pax.

We had a drill that lasted a little over an hour. Those of us who reported when we were told to and the other 30% or so that thought it was optional and had to be herded. :mad:

That was in San Diego, on a day that was a bit over 100 degrees. We were on the sunny side.

Of course the length of the drill depends somewhat on the cooperativeness of all pax.

We had a drill that lasted a little over an hour. Those of us who reported when we were told to and the other 30% or so that thought it was optional and had to be herded. :mad:

That was in San Diego, on a day that was a bit over 100 degrees. We were on the sunny side.

My last cruise in July used a different process.....no waiting for late people.....no more calling names....they started on time....we arrived at 3:24...drill started at 3:30 sharp...we were done in 5 minutes at 3:35....surprisingly efficient

they knew who was missing from their scans....I was told those missing folks would be tracked down and ordered to attend the makeup drill...

My last cruise in July used a different process.....no waiting for late people.....no more calling names....they started on time....we arrived at 3:24...drill started at 3:30 sharp...we were done in 5 minutes at 3:35....surprisingly efficient

they knew who was missing from their scans....I was told those missing folks would be tracked down and ordered to attend the makeup drill...

Awesome.

May that be adapted fleet wide :D. Sounds like a great system.

Considering the importance of information provided in case of emergency, I don't care how long it takes to get it right.Personally, I am grateful they send you to your actual assembly spot. I would hate to try and find it for the first time during an emergency. That said, the length of the drill is totally dependent on the punctuality and co-operation of the passengers.So if your drill was too long look next to you( or in mirror)

A few years ago HAL modified the Emergency procedures to a 3 stage process. The process I will outline is what is used for all class of ships except possibly the Koningsdam (I will find out in January). The CD when making the announcement is very specific about the stages and what you are to do at each stage. At the first stage you do nothing - it is only for the crew. At stage 2 you are to go to your cabin, get on warm clothing, gather medications and your life jacket and WAIT for further instructions. It is only when stage 3 is called are you to leave your cabin and go to your life boat station and to leave your life jacket in the cabin for the drill.

Now what do I see happening on our recent cruise on the Veendam. Our cabin was on the Lower Prom and was only 2 cabins from getting out to the deck so we could easily get to our life boat station from our cabin within 30 seconds. At stage 1 I see people heading down the hall with their life jacket on trying to find their life boat. When stage 3 is finally called (as instructed we wait until the end of the announcement to leave the cabin) when we get to our station (30 seconds after the end of the announcement) there are already 75 or so people at our station (I guess they don't listen or just don't care). So what do you think will happen in REAL emergency????:(

I also find it interesting when people post on this board about having to stand out on the deck for 20 minutes or so on a sunny warm day. Just look at the passengers standing around you at the next drill. If it was midnight, pouring rain, 35 degrees, 50 knot winds with pitching/rolling seas what do you think these folks will be doing?

A few years ago HAL modified the Emergency procedures to a 3 stage process. The process I will outline is what is used for all class of ships except possibly the Koningsdam (I will find out in January). The CD when making the announcement is very specific about the stages and what you are to do at each stage. At the first stage you do nothing - it is only for the crew. At stage 2 you are to go to your cabin, get on warm clothing, gather medications and your life jacket and WAIT for further instructions. It is only when stage 3 is called are you to leave your cabin and go to your life boat station and to leave your life jacket in the cabin for the drill.

Now what do I see happening on our recent cruise on the Veendam. Our cabin was on the Lower Prom and was only 2 cabins from getting out to the deck so we could easily get to our life boat station from our cabin within 30 seconds. At stage 1 I see people heading down the hall with their life jacket on trying to find their life boat. When stage 3 is finally called (as instructed we wait until the end of the announcement to leave the cabin) when we get to our station (30 seconds after the end of the announcement) there are already 75 or so people at our station (I guess they don't listen or just don't care). So what do you think will happen in REAL emergency????:(

I also find it interesting when people post on this board about having to stand out on the deck for 20 minutes or so on a sunny warm day. Just look at the passengers standing around you at the next drill. If it was midnight, pouring rain, 35 degrees, 50 knot winds with pitching/rolling seas what do you think these folks will be doing?

Thanks for describing the process. I found that if you follow directions and leave your cabin at stage 3, then you will not be standing around longer than necessary. 10 -15 minutes max.

I have observed people in place at their lifeboat station before ANY drill announcements are made. They probably complain that it takes too long afterwards.

Great advice - listen carefully - follow instructions. In an actual emergency, they may give different instructions....

ON one of our recent cruises the Captain came on the loud speaker. It was at the beginning of dinner 5:30 - 6 pm. After a brief introduction and quick little talk about the importance of the drill he read a list of names and advised those persons on the list that a make up drill had been scheduled for (I think it was 8:30 or 9 pm). And if they missed the make up drill they were to enjoy their dinner as they would be leaving the ship the next morning at our first port of call!.

It was a bit shocking to hear the message so bluntly, but everyone around us including us understood that there would be no kidding around when it came to emergency drills!

One of my pet peeves about emergency drills is people talking during the drill and now with the "cell phones everywhere" the use of cell phones during the drill. I understand that people have the choice of whether they want to have a chance to survive an emergency or not, but what I object to is them talking so loud to each other or on their cell phone that it diminishes my chance to survive an emergency!