Have you ever brought your own wine to Vines?

CineGraphic

I've brought wine into the MDR and specialty venues before, but is bringing your own bottle to Vines considered, "Kosher"?

I'm bringing 6 nice bottles on board including a bottle of Veuve's Le Grande Dame, and thought it might be nice if it was served in Riedel stemware. I'd also be happy to tip those involved in getting our champagne iced, etc...

What has your experience been?

I have not done so, but you can take your own wine anywhere. I have also asked for Riedel glasses with my own wine and NP, so it will be the same at Vines. As for chilling you have the cabin fridge to get it going and otherwise may as well get full value for the corkage fee. I have had whites and sparklers put on ice for me NP.

• 1 month later...

Carmen and the rest of the staff at Vines were very friendly and accommodating when we brought our bottles. Carmen even gave us some strawberries for our champagne, so when she asked if she could keep the presentation box and empty bottle, we were more than happy to let her have it.

Even though we pre-paid corkage when we boarded, we also left a cash tip each night we brought one of our bottles to the venue.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

Carmen and the rest of the staff at Vines were very friendly and accommodating when we brought our bottles. Carmen even gave us some strawberries for our champagne, so when she asked if she could keep the presentation box and empty bottle, we were more than happy to let her have it.

Even though we pre-paid corkage when we boarded, we also left a cash tip each night we brought one of our bottles to the venue.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

Thanks for posting after the fact what your experience was. As for tipping extra, well I am happy to tip if they "forget" to charge me the corkage. ;)

We live near an embarkation port ... very near wine country so usually bring our own wines onboard. We visited Vines one day just to check out their menu and the staff member working there came over to chat and bring us a plate of snacks with the glasses of wine we ordered. He asked if we had wanted a second glass but we explained that we brought our own bottles on with us. He told us we were more than welcome to bring one down, one we'd already paid the corkage for, of course. Very welcoming ... and when we did, we were offered a plate of goodies as before. And, nice glasses they serve the wine in as well. Such a lovely experience!!

Hi all,

I have a question. But first let me say that I don't drink any wine or alcoholic drinks at therefore I need to ask this question.

I am interested to know if the flavor of the wine is different in Riedel stemware or other good stem ware vs plastic or cheap glass. I am a soda drinker, and I know the taste of soda can be different when it comes from a can or glass bottle or a soda gun. Growing up I just love a glass bottle of coke vs a can.

Hi all,

I have a question. But first let me say that I don't drink any wine or alcoholic drinks at therefore I need to ask this question.

I am interested to know if the flavor of the wine is different in Riedel stemware or other good stem ware vs plastic or cheap glass. I am a soda drinker, and I know the taste of soda can be different when it comes from a can or glass bottle or a soda gun. Growing up I just love a glass bottle of coke vs a can.

Yes, completely different.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Oh boy, let me grab my popcorn.

The problem I have with plastic is that there is, as often or not, a detectable odor that will throw off the flavor of the wine.

I have been drinking wines for almost 50 years. I admit that I like stems more than tumblers just because they look prettier. In our house we have Riedel stems, Schott-Zwiessel stems and Libby restaurant stems. No question, the Libbys are not as pretty as the other ones. However, my taste buds cannot tell which stem I used when I drink a Syrah, or a Zinfandel or a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Sauternes or a Brunello. Or any other wine.

JMO. YMMV

Not sure if I missed it on your post but was it the same Carmen at Vines on the Crown this year. Very impressive friendly service.

Yes, completely different.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I agree ... it hits your tongue differently and since it does so, it does taste better with a glass that is not only shaped for the type of wine you are drinking but that thin rim on the Riedel also makes a huge difference. Riedel can even make a cheaper wine taste better.

We have brought wine to Vines many times and always offer a taste to the winetenders. They don't seem to mind opening it for us and have given us sushi or tapas to go with it, too. But we are regular customers there, and they know that we'll be back to pay for some of their offerings, too.

As for the Reidel glasses, we love them. It seems that only Vines and the specialty restaurants have the big red glasses, though - the dining room only has the white wine glasses, which aren't quite the same. We've been able to leave my engagement ring as collateral for a couple of the big glasses, which we always return after dinner. OK, that last part isn't entirely true, but we have on occasion been able to take the glasses and return them unbroken (I think that's their real fear).

Thank all of you for answering my question about drinking wine from nice stem wear. As I think about if (from a soda drinkers view point) I can see how it can make a difference in the taste. Just like my soda tastes better to me from a glass, and not drinking it through a straw.

We were on the Ruby Princess last week and I had a glass of wine at Vines. While enjoying the wine a lady asked for a glass of wine and as she started to leave, they told her she had to drink her wine at Vines or transfer the wine to a different glass. Same went for the International Cafe with coffee cups. No leaving the area with a coffee cup. This was a first for me to see. Only thing I can think of is people really like the nice wine glasses and cups and keep them in there cabin for the cruise to use.

We were on the Ruby Princess last week and I had a glass of wine at Vines. While enjoying the wine a lady asked for a glass of wine and as she started to leave, they told her she had to drink her wine at Vines or transfer the wine to a different glass. Same went for the International Cafe with coffee cups. No leaving the area with a coffee cup. This was a first for me to see. Only thing I can think of is people really like the nice wine glasses and cups and keep them in there cabin for the cruise to use.

Your theory is reasonable. It doesn't take much reading on Cruise Critic to learn that many people prefer the nicer stems to the "water goblets" that the are given by the room stewards for wine drinkers' use in the cabin which are the same that the Vines staff gives for "to go" orders.

My theory is that the stems such as the Riedels in Vines are much more fragile than the goblets. So, not only will breakage cost Princess more, but you know and I know that somebody will want to stop by Vines for a glass of wine on their way the hot tub. Then breakage in the hot tub or on the pool deck becomes an issue.

Yes, I do come from some experience. I was gesticulating over exuberantly at the Vines Stammtisch table once, knocked over one of the Riedels (and I'm sure they are restaurant quality) on the table in front of me, broke it, and spilled red wine all over the table. It happens.

Oh, and for anybody who is looking for a way to get nice stemware into your cabin, order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and for your cocktails specifiy glasses of wine. That will come with very nice stems. You can then open up your own wine which, most assuredly, will be better that the by-the-glass wine that comes from Princess and will more adequately match the gradeur of your meal.

:D